Shelly Belly's Bridesmaid Blitz

Well done Shelly! And give your boyfriend a hug from me :)

Cx

Loving reading you Shelly... you managed to raise a smile from me at this unearthly hour which is a feat in itself! I'm glad your Nan is stable. It's so hard for those of us living overseas to have elderly relatives at home we can't just pop in. My Nan was 100 in January and, although I visited her 6 times I think when recently in the UK for a visit in July, she never once opened more than one eye.

Loving your analysis re the food/drink too... I do find that this warmer weather makes the whole weight loss battle easier. Do you find that living in a hot climate helps? (If so, I'm moving!!)

ohh and any pics to show us?

x

PS I have never seen that protein pack at Pret - is there a secret password to get some? :)

PS I have never seen that protein pack at Pret - is there a secret password to get some? :)
Hehehe! I have no idea?! Maybe it's just an airport thing, but I actually saw it on one of the forums here... and then I couldn't believe it when I saw it with my own eyes! I little clear tub with 2 boiled eggs and some spinach leaves. And it was called something like "protein pack" or "protein shot". I was completely delighted!!

I've got some piccy's here, one with the handsome boyfriend, and then please humour me on the mirror selfie, because I just know you want a good shot of "the bod" ;)

20140726_114819.jpgIMG-20140728-WA0004.jpg

I am feeling so awesome right now. It's been great subbing my diet with more low fat dairy this week, such a welcome change from the insane amounts of chicken I was eating before. Speaking of insane, I just started Insanity month 2. I didn't think it could get any harder, I spend a lot of the workout just staring down the TV with an expression like "and you want me to do what now?!?"

But otherwise... I am in this. So happy about sugar cravings being gone, I think back to those first few weeks and every single cake and treat that I dodged felt like such a pain... I felt so deprived. Now I feel really content. Very satisfied and really delighted with my progress. I guess it was just the slowness of results at first, but now that I can see the changes, and everyone else can, I feel that it's worth it, and it all feels very cool.

So technically I have another 9ish lbs to go... but I'm feeling quite beautiful. I have been working out a lot through this process and have undoubtedly gained some muscle. But the weirdest and best part is... I fit in most of my size 10 wardrobe. I know this seems crazy. These were clothes that I bought 2 years ago when I was 9st... but I suppose I was skinny-fat back then, and I'm more muscly now. Anyways, I had a long conversation about eating disorders with a good friend of mine today, and as I talked about before, I struggled in the past with binge eating. This was for a number of reasons, but one of which was that I tried to maintain a weight with was really too low for me. While on this journey, I never planned to get as low as 9 stone again, I'm starting to wonder if even 10stone is too low, and starting to think that maybe it's better to begin consolidation while I'm feeling happy and healthy?

Of course, this interestingly comes at a time when I feel very content cruising... hehe! typical! While fruit and bread would be nice, I'm pretty content right now in my little routine.

Soooooo... I don't know. I'm going to give it some thought, and definitely carry on until the wedding on the 30th August, but maybe, come September, I'll think about moving to consolidation, even if I'm not at 10stone. It's just a number after all, and I know how I feel, I know what feels good - and I would rather maintain a higher "happy weight" than go back to that terrible binge eating nightmare, like last time.

Anyway. in the meantime... Can I share one more picture with you? My little addiction... Not all accumulated in the last 12 weeks, but the last 12 weeks have certainly ramped up my little collection... Any suggestions on what to do with them?!
20140308_153632.jpg

OMG, well done Shelly! You have done so well so stay so on track through the festivities, I am a little envious. I fell off big style after afore-mentioned hen weekend (the less said the better!) but kick starting tomorrow. It's great to read your diary, as it's really inspirational. Another one which inspires me every time I read it it this blog My Dukan Diet

i read the whole thing at work one day (in a crafty minimised window ha ha) as I couldn't stop reading. You ladies may have seen it already but I thought I'd share anyway. Was just about screaming writing my shopping list half an hour ago but am now calm and think that I'm ready to duKAN!

egg boxes are meant to be awesome for soundproofing, but may make your room look a little funky stapled to the walls :)

ps loved that Brazilian doc you posted a couple of weeks ago - FIZZY JUICE!!!! So bad!!!!!

Weigh in Monday... 10st 9.75lb :mad:
Oh dear! well, it was always gonna happen one day... reminding myself that STS are perfectly natural in weightloss. Just a bit grumpy because I had a birthday BBQ for a friend last night and a baked an AMAZING cake (I'm pretty nifty in the kitchen). It was Mango (fresh, from Ivory Coast!), Banana and Coconut flavour. People said it was the best cake of their lives. People said that they could not remember eating a better cake. People said please remove the cake from the table, lest I stick my whole face in it... And I didn't have a single bite. I sat in the corner with my sugar free jelly and fat free yogurt.

So now I have the "poor Shellys" going on, but I just filled out my food diary from yesterday (which I do on paper) and did have to remind myself that at the BBQ, I had LAMB and the salad, although undressed, had GOAT's CHEESE in it... so I can hardly really claim, LIFE'S NOT FAIR on this one, just keep chugging on and hope for better next week.

I also read a Jillian Micheals thing yesterday where she was saying that Plateauing in the final 5-10lbs of weightloss is completely common because, not you are in a "healthy body" it's really just "vanity pounds". I quite like the idea of these "vanity pounds" hehe! So will stick at it and hope that by next week, I can see some good results. Wearing a dress today (Primark, size 12) which I have never worn before as it never fitted (actually walked into the office before realising the tag was still in... smooth!)

P.S. I completely appreciate the irony in writing all this after yesterday writing "nah, I'm good, I kinda like this weight...". Yeah, I'm a flakey, moody rascal ;)
AND I JUST WANNA WIN ;) :)

OMG, well done Shelly! You have done so well so stay so on track through the festivities, I am a little envious. I fell off big style after afore-mentioned hen weekend (the less said the better!) but kick starting tomorrow. It's great to read your diary, as it's really inspirational. Another one which inspires me every time I read it it this blog My Dukan Diet

i read the whole thing at work one day (in a crafty minimised window ha ha) as I couldn't stop reading. You ladies may have seen it already but I thought I'd share anyway. Was just about screaming writing my shopping list half an hour ago but am now calm and think that I'm ready to duKAN!

egg boxes are meant to be awesome for soundproofing, but may make your room look a little funky stapled to the walls :)

ps loved that Brazilian doc you posted a couple of weeks ago - FIZZY JUICE!!!! So bad!!!!!

Hey Jenny!

Best wishes with your restart today. You are gonna nail this! I hated the beginning because the progress was slow and it feels like you are sacrificing so much... but for the results it's truly worth it! You can do it!
Hen parties are so tough, I still haven't figured out how to be around that many women, stick to diet and not look like the crazy one. For a long time, I never wanted to appear to be dieting because I didn't want it to look like I was vain... I'm a semi-feminist like that... but I have developed a load of coping mechanisms to get me through the tough social spots. The worst thing is that once you start eating junk food, you just crave so much more! and I do take offense at the Lolita-style eating which makes groups of girls coo over sparkly cupcakes and bowls of skittles! And don't even get me started on chocolate... literally ;)

Gonna check out that blog - reading it all in a day in a minimised window? - you and I are cut from the same cloth!!
Have a great week xoxo

Jenny, than you so much for this recommendation! I read the whole thing and it was great. Lots of inspiring and creative menus! and I really wanna try the green tea with fresh lemon and mint.

I have been SO HUNGRY lately. The evenings are the worst - but I think it's because I'm not having anything from lunchtime at 1pm until when I sit down to dinner at around 8pm. I get so ravenous. I tried to batch cook last night, but ended up eating both portions! oops! ;)
So from now on, planning a little protein hit around 5pm/6pm ish. I think Boiled Eggs are the best option.

I have a tennis class tonight - first time ever! very excited :)

Hi Shelly!

Been a bit mad over here and I haven't had much time to post or catch up on diaries. The last house guests are leaving today though, and normal life is slowly returning :)

Glad you had a good trip to the UK. The pics are awesome and that dress is gorgeous! And you're skinny!! Are you back into the insanity yet? It is amazing what a difference it makes to your abs, even though you're not doing any crunches or typical ab work.

Don't sweat the STS! It happens to everyone and the last few pounds are always the hardest, but I'm sure you'll see that your body is changing even though the scales stay the same.

Still giggling about your minimized windows. What would we do without the Alt-Tab shortcut?! :) I always have my ipad open next to my laptop to 'multitask' aka avoid real work.

7 hours without eating is too much and will lead you into temptation... Boiled Eggs are a perfect snack, or cherry tomatoes on pv days. Good luck!

Cx

Good Morning Caro!

I had a boiled egg yesterday and totally did the trick. I wasn't hungry for it at the time, but it made my dinner a world more satisfying :)
I had Wookie's Diet Coke Chicken for dinner - smelt mental but tasted like ACTUAL HEAVEN! Already looking forward to gobbling up the leftovers

You are right about the body changes, I need to find my bleeding tape measure, I know it is somewhere. Insanity is kicking my (squat-toned) bootie! I Love it. Just finished the first week of the second month, Hallelujah for rest days!! :)

Nice one on the house guests, C, you are totally rocking the fasting! Do you feel really hungry, or do you just forget about eating and put it right out of your mind? I am always relieved when I get back from a holiday or a special event, to get back into my routine.

ooh! My colleague just came back from a three week vacation and said I am looking lovely - and I have my favourite shirt on :)

Back to the UK next Friday, I cannot wait to get the family wedding festivities underway :) I still don't have a bridesmaid's dress yet! And my Nan is holding on strong :)

Good afternoon Shelly!

Wow, what a positive post. Good news about your Nan, and on all the compliments!

To be honest, I didn't think I'd manage fasting, but it is easier than it sounds. Not exactly fun, but you do just keep busy and forget about eating. Hunger pangs are worse at the start, but then subside. I have my survival techniques, like an effervescent vitamin drink for lunch, black coffee with dukan caramel flavouring in the morning, and lots of diet coke, soda water and Chinese tea during the day.

I think if I had to choose between doing this and being able to indulge the rest of the week, vs 24/7 controlled eating, I'll take the first option!

Weather today is fantastic. Crossing fingers... Cx

Last edited:
Hello lovelies!!

It's Friday! I have stayed off the scales, but I am feeling slim and lovely - still can't find my blasted tape measure, but the trousers I am wearing today (Matalan, size 12, FYI) were super tight two weeks ago, and I could wear them, but every time I sat down, I had to take a little breath. Today they are on and comfy. Little by little :)

Got a lovely beach day planned all day for tomorrow, so will take a selection of nice snacks. I am making chicken kebabs and some banana bread (not for me :( ) but my friend is bringing burgers, so I'm going to bring my AMAZING Burger bun, which I have developed from some recipes that I found online - it is actually amazing. I had an egg sandwich made with it this morning :) It is made entirely in the Science-Oven, so if you hate microwaves, look away now

Science-Oven Burger Bun
2 tbsp Oat Bran
1 tbsp Wheatbran
2 tbsp Powdered Skimmed Milk
1 tsp baking powder
1 egg
100g tub 0% natural yogurt
Pinch of herbs (I use one called "pizza herbs" which has oregano, thyme and parsley on, but use whatever you fancy)
Pinch Pepper

1. Mix it all in a microwavable bowl. I have a great bit of tupperware with a flat round base.
2. Scrap round the sides to prevent sticking
3. Nuke on high for 6 minutes.
4. Remove it from the microwave carefully (there's usually a lot of steam)
5. Run a knife around the edge to loosen, turn out on to a plate and allow to "rest" for 30 secs
6. Slice in half and use (I usually whack it under the grill at this point)

If I am having it in the morning, I often prep it the night before, then just grill it like toast when I want it.

enjoy!

I love reading your diary!! Thank you for that recipe, and Jenny for that thread... My only disappointment is that I've got to the end and I've not yet seen a recipe for a low calorie Mango, Banana and Coconut flavour cake!

Vanity pounds. I like that term. Yes I guess a few of us are now at that stage. We really ought to enjoy it a little (in a non food way!!).

x

Hey all - weigh in this morning 10st 8.5lb... hmm...!

Honestly, I'm disappointed. I did 5PP days this week and just 2 PV days in a mad attempt to see some results before going home. I feel like I'm in a real plateau now, and it's just not shifting. I'm actually looking forward to using my Mum's scales as I think these ones are a bit dodgy!

Saturday at the beach was awesome. I made some great chicken kebabs, which everyone loved, and I only really felt I was missing out on the alcohol. I was out in the sun all day and I suffered a bit on Sunday with sunburn and heat exhaustion. And I skipped Insanity, which makes me feel really naughty. ahh well!

Nothing else really to report, gonna keep on trucking. With less than 3 weeks to the wedding, I need to let the 10st goal go now, and just do the best I can. I'll keep on trucking, but honestly might move to PV everyday once I return to the UK on Friday with just PP once a week. Then at the beginning of September, have a re-group and see how I'm feeling.

I did eat quite a bit of salt yesterday, I sat down for some turkey ham and lightest philly roll ups... and cleared the packet ;) oops!

Hello there... so now you see what we mean when we say it's usually futile repeating long periods of PP. They really never work as they did at the outset! You've lost over a pound which I would call a result given that you gained so little when away. AND you say you ate a lot of salt the previous day. I say no more ;)

Why not post a few menus now if you want to tighten things up in a last effort before the wedding. Alternate PP and PV and try to cut out/down on tolerated foods (ie light Philly... how much did you have?!)

Hey Jo,

You are so right, I think I need to tighten the reins if I'm gonna shift these last few lbs. I have definitely got more relaxed. For example, the place I was getting my lunchtime chicken from all last week (they do chicken steak brochettes cooked) gave my gluten in-tolerate friend a really nasty reaction, so I think they must baste the chicken in something - possibly containing flour. I have decided to bring in all my own lunch this week, I did a bit of batch cooking at the weekend.

Menu for yesterday (PV)
Breakfast: Oat-bran Microwave bread (2 Oatbran, 1 Wheatbran, 2 Semi-Skimmed milk, 0% natural yogurt, baking power), 1 tomato, 30g fat-free quark
Lunch: Roast chicken salad (tomato, lettuce, cooked aubergines and courgettes), balsamic vinegar, diet coke
Snack: Boiled egg
Dinner: Mussels (in a white wine sauce), Rocket Side Salad which had some oil on (though, not loads), and some Parmesan, which I (mainly) picked off.
Nightime treat: Sugar free jelly

Menu for Today PP:
Breakfast: Galette (made with quark) and dipped into a 0% natural yogurt flavoured with cinnamon
Lunch: Roast chicken and Konjac rice (spiced with chill cos it tastes a bit funky!)
Snack: Boiled egg and a low-carb protein shake (I know, I know.... it's the last of my whey protein, it's just because I have a tennis lesson tonight and I need to have something to tide me over. I never use them a meal-replacements, just as a snack once in a while. It's 100cal, 20g of protein, and 2g carbs)
Dinner: Curried Sardines (literally tinned sardines in tomato sauce cooked in curry powder) and 2 egg whites + jelly

Yesterday an Belgian Artist called Stromae came to play the Amphitheatre here and we had tickets! We went for a dinner to celebrate my friend's birthday first, and I HAD to have mussels because Stromae has a famous song called "Moules Frites". I think one of my problems is focussing on how good I'm being... Not having any wine, bread, croutons, birthday cake (I baked the mango, banana and coconut one again :) ), that i fail to see how things creep into my meals, the marinade on the mussels, the oil on the salad... and a bit of parmesan. I think this is going to go alot slower for me, largely because I am pretty lucky and get to eat out so much (and also an obliged to do it for work often too).

I discussed with a friend yesterday, about the plateau and I asked what I should do, and she said, that I should tighten up, but I shouldn't "change" anything. I know this is working, I just need to stick at it. The slower this comes off, the more sustainable it will be. Also, if I do anything drastic to drop weight quicker, like a chain of PP days, it's only likely to come and bite me later on. Agreed. So will tighten up and stick at it.

And Jo, you are so right about chucking in a few more PP days to get better results - waste of time and energy. I need to just trust the process and trust that this diet has been developed to be the most effective and sustainable :)

Have a great day!!

P.S. Stromae was formidable!! :)

That's the spirit, Shelly! Your target is definitely doable, and your friend's (and Jo's) advice is perfect.

We're cheering for you!

Cx

Something Happened!

Yesterday was grand. Ate like I planned except for whole eggs in the evening, not just the whites (to be fair when I typed it out, I even thought to myself "I'm probably gonna eat the whole eggs" and then I just went ahead and did it!). I also had some natural 0% yogurt. Also yesterday, I drank ALOT of green tea. I usually have it while at my desk, and yesterday I counted 3 pots :) Just little pots... but 3!! :)

So I don't know what it was about this morning, I was just feeling lucky I guess, anyway here's what happened:

I weighed myself. I took a deep breath and looked down. The scale said 10st 5.5lbs. NO! Forget happy naked dancing, I just stared the scales down with a look of disbelief... I moved the scales from the bathroom to the corridor, weighed again (I know this is naughty) 10st 5.5lb... hmm. Took them into my bedroom. Changed the settings to just lbs. 145.5lb (the same), changed the setting back... 10st 5.5lb. NO FREAKING WAY!

I conclude that one of the following has happened:
1. Monday's weigh in was incorrect due to the gross amounts of salt consumed Sunday
2. This is what they call in the business, "A whoosh"
3. One of my hands fell off in the night (on closer inspection, this does not seem to have happened)

So.... I did my Insanity workout (Max Plyo... good cos of Squat Push-ups which I like, bad cos of Level 3 Body Drills, which I am less fond of). I drank lots of water during the workout (as usual), had a shower... and then while I was drying my hair (and it was still pretty damp), the scales (now in my bedroom) caught my eye again... Could it be? One more weigh... 10st 5.75lb (remember folks, I now have damp hair and a hydrated tummy)

So I'm taking it!

THIS. FEELS. AMAZING.

And then... I danced ;)

Back