SHOCKED AND ANGRY!!!!

I've got the munchies but I don't emotionally feel like a mullerlight right now, even though they're 4 for a quid ;)

I am gob smacked what a nerve, People like that really make me sick :mad::mad:

Sorry to butt in on your thread but I'm browsing in the middle of the night .... I don't know what you're all getting so upset about .... the poor girl ONLY wants another £100 a month after all ......

I AM joking - just so's we're clear ;) :):) xx

OK, we all know how much I like a rant, so here we go;

Firstly lets talk about DLA and IB. Disability Living Allowance, it is meant to be used for carers, you can get it for one of two reasons (or both) The mobility part is awarded if you have trouble walking, the severity of which will depend how much money you get (£18.65 and £49.10per week) The main idea of giving you this money is to help improve your life, by buying a wheelchair for example. There is also a scheme called motability where you can swap the money going into your account and instead get a car - adapted as nessacary (the latter is what I do with my DLA HRM)

Secondly, the care component - is intended to help towards paying for a carer to help you with aspects of your life you need help with, this could be washing, dressing, cooking a meal etc., in reality you can do what you like with the money. (Mine pays for petrol.) DLA Care component is paid at 3 levels (high, middle and low) again depending on the severity of the needs.

OK now that is cleared up, let me get on with my rant :p

'I'm not even applying for work at the moment because I'm only going to have to have lots of time off when I have more surgery.'
OK fine, some may see that as a fair point, however it implies that she is able to work, but are not seeking employment at this time. If this is the case, then claiming IB is fraud. Incapacity benefit as the name suggests this benefit is awarded to claiments who are unable to work for medical (mental or physical) reasons. (Again like me - my doctor has advised me it would be unsafe for me to work at the moment)

'Without my disability allowance I'm left with just £210 incapacity benefit which I get because of my depression"
This is contrary - she is on IB due to depression, but isn't looking for work at the moment, as she's going to have an operation. So which is it? You can't work? Don't think anyone will employ you as you will need time off?(which is illegal) Or you wont work?

One assumes she got DLA due to her weight problems possibly affecting her care/mobility. She obviously didn't claim for her depression, one would think - though this isn't always the case - if she is unable to work, then she could have grounds for DLA under mental health grounds.

Anyway back to the foody part;
I can't afford to buy WeightWatchers crisps and cereal bars
While WW chocolate/crisps contain less calories it is not teaching healthy eating. Can she not see that it's not just about replacing what you eat with an identical lower calorie version of the food. It's about the food she's eating in general.

There are reasons why all of us here gained weight in the first place, and I will bet my bottom dollar that you are not eating the exactly the same diet, but with slight changes. I bet that you diet is completely different and whilst you might have the odd choccy and have a pack of quavers or skips instead of a bag of big eat walkers. I feel I'm not articulating myself very well, but hope you get the jist!

Sorry to butt in on your thread but I'm browsing in the middle of the night .... I don't know what you're all getting so upset about .... the poor girl ONLY wants another £100 a month after all ......

I AM joking - just so's we're clear ;) :):) xx

Haha - I totally agree, I only want a stunning blond to fall on my lap! Do you think if I start eating Tesco choccy and crisps I'll get one?!

Sounds like she's been living in a strange bubble world for most of her life. I can't imagine what it's like to get up to 38 stone and live at that weight - getting out and about and interacting with people and getting some life experience must have been pretty impossible.

I suppose that's why she just doesn't seem to have a clue. Maybe she doesn't have many friends or much of a support network. Losing your mum in your early 20s must be tough. Maybe we should email Closer magazine and ask them to pass on the minimins site address to her?! Sounds like she needs someone to give her some pointers at any rate. Gillian McKeith would work! :p

Sounds like she's been living in a strange bubble world for most of her life. I can't imagine what it's like to get up to 38 stone and live at that weight - getting out and about and interacting with people and getting some life experience must have been pretty impossible.

I suppose that's why she just doesn't seem to have a clue. Maybe she doesn't have many friends or much of a support network. Losing your mum in your early 20s must be tough. Maybe we should email Closer magazine and ask them to pass on the minimins site address to her?! Sounds like she needs someone to give her some pointers at any rate. Gillian McKeith would work! :p

I agree that it wouldn't be easy for her to feel comfortable and happy within herself, and on that end this has affected her negatively.

But she didn't go to bed at 10stone and wake up at 38stone and she's been given help a lot of people would kill for.

I don't think people are upset with her as a person per se - I think it's the fact that she is complaining about lack of (free) money on top of the fact most of her rent is paid which is annoying people.

If most of her rent is paid for her, £600 a month is a decent amount of money to be living off.

And it's just total rubbish - it's purely excuses. In a 'dear' week I spend £70 ish quid on food, therefore £280 a month. That's for me and the OH and catering for me being on SW and him not being on SW. And it includes my treats too - for when I don't want an apple!

There are people on this forum who have less to spend than this lady - people who have children to care for and who have an income coming in. One or both parents work hard and still manage - whereas her and her bf sit at home watching 7 hours of TV (or something along those lines).

Depression and disabilities mustn't be easy to live with - I feel for ANYONE who has too. But I start to NOT sympathise with people who CAN make positive changes to their life but DO NOT. She's being given a really good opportunity and she's not only throwing it away, but moaning in the process - some people seem to want it all on a plate (no pun intended) without giving back and THAT is what annoys a lot of folk.

I agree with Squiddies post. To get DLA you have to be very disabled. Ive been ill for 10 yrs with ME and because it is an illness and therefore you can in theory get well again( even though they dont know the cause or the cure) I only qualified for DLA one year. I wont get it again as by making my own health improvements Ive improved my condition. OK some days I would qualify others I wouldnt and feel that to even apply I would have to lie.
Also on incapacity benefit is the £210 a week or a month? Either way as the lower rate is around £85 and the higher rate is £104 it doesnt add up.
Personally I have reached the point where after paying things like rent, water, insurance etc I have £25 a week to feed me and 2 cats. I dont have any spare money for clothes, cd's, dvd or anything I consider a luxury.
Thats what life on benefits is like and when people seem to WANT to be on benefits its beyond me!!

IB rates are a bit complicated. For the first 26 weeks, it's £67.75, the for the next 28 weeks it's £80.15 and then after that, and a medical from a DWP doctor it's £89.68. If you were under 45 when you claimed, the rate (after 52 weeks) is £105.45 All these values are per week. So it's about £421.80 every 4 weeks or "month"

Not sure what rates of DLA see got, but if she got it for mobility, it's either £49.10 per week (£199.60 a "month") or £18.65 (£74.60).

For care it's either £70.35 (£282) £47.10 (£188.40) £18.65(£74.60)

Not sure what combinations of DLA she got, but it is most likely to be the lower rate on both (an extra £150ish a month)

This makes me sick for the money she gets. I woke up one morning and got out of bed and dropped to the floor. Couldn't stand. Always had a bad back, but working as a mechanic at the time, lots of lifting etc involved. Spent 2 years in a wheel chair. and it took them 2.5 years to diagnose me. Stiff persons syndrome. Anyway, because i didn't have a recognised illness or disability, (aparently just not being able to stand and spending your life in EXTREME pain and in a wheelchair is not a good enough reason) i couldn't get DLA or IB and was taken off JSA after a year because i wasn't actively seeking work. 600 pounds a month i would love. I still can't work FT because of the pain, although have taken myself off all painkillers because improve without them. But still not eligable for DLA as Illness still not recognised. Stupid government.

I now have 30 pounds a week to feed 2. I manage fine and eat healthily every day, yes it costs a little bit to get everything like herbs and flour and store cupboard stuff in initially but then you do it over time surely and once it's there you can just keep topping up. I was taught to cook by my grandmother, brought up during rationing, and even though she is now well off, still scrimps and saves. Maybe i should send her round top this womans, as she is also one of the scariest women i know, she'll soon sort her out.

DLA is ssoo complcated that people who are entitled to it either don't claim as the forms are tricky, or they don't get it because they've filled it wrong. And the people who know how to work the system can get it. I'm not going to get into whether this womans claims are ligit or not, that's not my point!

Bex - I don't have a recognised illness or disease, I've never been given a diagnoisis. It took 8 years for the medics to admit there was something wrong with me and infact their advice to do pysio and to try and walk was all damaging to me. I first got DLA at HRM and LRC for 2 years, then when I had my review earlier this year, I got it awarded for 3 years. It's about how you fill the form in and making sure you GP knows how it affects your everyday life. There is a FABULOUS website called http://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/ that might be able to help you :)

Yeah, got it turned down and appealed and got local DAB to help. To be honest now i'm out of wheelchair most of the time and living a fairly normal life. So trying to carry on and then when i really can't work and really need it try again. It's just so stupid. I know a woman with agrophobia, who goes to my local (packed) pub 3 times a week and get HRM and HRC. Guess i'm just not the type to play the system. Just want as normal life as possible. Oh and what i've got is called Stiff persons Syndrome. Though my neuro was having a laugh when he told me that.

on point of damaging you though, I got told basically don't try and walk or do anything that pushes yourself, all we can do is make you comfortable, (cos it's really comfortable being stuck in a chair!) and they pumped me with drugs, drugs and more drugs. I brought a pair of crutches and retrained myself to walk, it took a long time and was really painful, but so worth it. I took myself off the drugs because i naturally push myself as hard as i can, and the drugs were stopping my brain from knowing when enough was enough, so doing more damage. Once i could listen to my body i improved immensly now take around less that 30 Co-codamol a year and that's it. Infact my last scrpit was about april last year. So much for docs advice! Although not sure this would help my DLA case!!!

Back