Shocking discovery about Cambridge Formula

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly the same?

Perhaps anyone considering actually doing this (which would be very stupid, sorry if that offends anyone but there you go) could actually spend five minutes looking up the nutritional values of the ingredients listed above - you'd find out it's not "EXACTLY THE SAME NUTRITIONAL CONTENT" at all. For starters it's only half the protein and fat as you'd be getting in your CD packs (and believe me, particularly when you're on less than 300 calories a day, which you would be with this plan, your body NEEDS that protein and fat).

Not sure it's a very responsible thing to do, posting this here, OP.

In fact, I am sure. It's completely irresponsible.

Edited to add.

I am a CDC
I am a personal trainer
I am a nutritional adviser

I'm not a nutrionalist but I am a CDC. I've read this and found it a difficult decision whether to post or not. Obviously as a CDC I leave myself open to potentially 'well you would say that - if we could make it ourselves we wouldn't need you!' :(

BUT I wouldn't feel right if I didn't say something. VLCDs - LL, LT and CD have been researched and tests for years before they are sold. Even so, you still need to do it under the 'supervision' of someone who has been trained in how they work.

This whole idea of 'making your own' scares the living daylights out of me, and I can only consider it to be an incredibly dangerous experiment to undertake and would never recommend this to anyone.

Sorry, but that is how I feel - obviously we are all intelligent people who will make our own choices, but I felt I should say something.

Exactly the same?

Perhaps anyone considering actually doing this (which would be very stupid, sorry if that offends anyone but there you go) could actually spend five minutes looking up the nutritional values of the ingredients listed above - you'd find out it's not "EXACTLY THE SAME NUTRITIONAL CONTENT" at all. For starters it's only half the protein and fat as you'd be getting in your CD packs (and believe me, particularly when you're on less than 300 calories a day, which you would be with this plan, your body NEEDS that protein and fat).

Edited to add.

I am a CDC
I am a personal trainer

Kate I agree totally, but I just wanted to post to say that I love that quote at the bottom of your signature.

Is it ok if I take a note of it?

Go for it Sarah, it's from "Anthem" by Leonard Cohen.

I'm not a nutrionalist but I am a CDC. I've read this and found it a difficult decision whether to post or not. Obviously as a CDC I leave myself open to potentially 'well you would say that - if we could make it ourselves we wouldn't need you!' :(

BUT I wouldn't feel right if I didn't say something. VLCDs - LL, LT and CD have been researched and tests for years before they are sold. Even so, you still need to do it under the 'supervision' of someone who has been trained in how they work.

This whole idea of 'making your own' scares the living daylights out of me, and I can only consider it to be an incredibly dangerous experiment to undertake and would never recommend this to anyone.

Sorry, but that is how I feel - obviously we are all intelligent people who will make our own choices, but I felt I should say something.

DQ, my sentiments exactly. I'm not a CDC or anything and debated with myself this morning whether I should post a reply or not. But felt it would have been irresponsible of me not to express concern.

Exactly the same?

Edited to add.

I am a CDC
I am a personal trainer

thank you for a responsible sensible and knowledgeable post

i actually worry that people who havent yet tried cd could come on here and read about this cheapo formula, decide to try it - and end up sick

there is no way i would try making my own from the ingredients you listed. This diet is important because of the ratio's between the amounts of protein,carb etc as well as all the vitamins, minerals etc.

Of course the packs cost us more than it costs them to make them, they do need to make a proffit. Just like all food costs less than we are charged at supermarkets.

I would not advise anyone to this recipe

The original post has been *snipped* as this is an untrialled diet, theres no scientific proof or research, and for people searching the internet we do not want them to believe that this is a "good idea".

Admin

Hi everyone,

I kinda knew this would cause a lot of controversy and expected the replies some of you have given.

To whoever said that the balance of carbs, protein and fat is not the same. It IS exactly the same in the quantities of ingredients I gave, as long as you have that skimmed milk powder the carbs, protein and fat values are identical. My nutritionist showed me the packets of the alternatives and we looked at CD and wrote down all the values, and I could see if for myself.

I did comment on the fact that the fybogel is a difference from CD but it IS allowed on CD anyway. I didnt state specifically what flavour but I am having the orange one as it tastes nice and hasnt kicked me out of ketosis! I have been doing this myself for the last few days and as far as I'm concerned works exactly the same as Cambridge.

I am a Cambridge fan and have been doing it myself on and off since February, and therefore I know how extreme SS is, so I AM NOT trying to say that 'my way' is an approved substitute- Im merely pointing out that my nutritionist has worked it out to be the same. After all they have to make it somehow and actually the recipe is very simple and straightforward.

It is fear of the unknown and fear that its not approved that makes some people criticise this alternative and say it is dangerous. Thats partly human nature but also really that is the affect of these big corporations- they tell you it is tried and tested and safe, and that it is not safe to do a diet yourself that is not approved by them, so that you pay the money for the sake of safety. They of course will never tell you how they make it, otherwise they wouldnt make any money, so they want you to think that their way is the only way!!!

Im not criticising peoples reactions as it would be mine if I didnt properly look into it and make sure it was right. What I am doing is telling people that there is an alternative and of course I would advise that if you try it, that you check the values of carbs, protein, cals, fat, vits and minerals are the same before you go ahead with it. Depending on which vit tablets you take you may get a bit more or a bit less of the vit/mins than in CD, so its the individual responsibility to get the right tablets, but using the products I am, these values ARE exactly the same!!!

Take it or leave it, I just put it on here to inform- and of course there is a thing in England called "Freedom of Speech". It doesnt mean you have to take the information on and do it yourself, we are all capable of making our own decisions and seeking advice where we think necessary. If I am going to get into trouble for airing my views on here then so be it :-( xx

Please tell us your friend's qualifications.

The title 'nutritionist' is not a privileged title i.e. anyone can call themselves a nutritionist even if they have no GCSEs let alone any other qualifications.

On the premise that I cannot see this thread doing anything but causing arguments and the fact we are all here to support each other I am taking the decision to close this thread.

This is not to stop freedom of speech, this is not because I agree or disagree with anyones comments, it is because there are a lot of vulnerable people on the site and I can see fireworks here and I would rather on a nice Sunday afternoon not see everyone fall out.

Have a nice week all! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back