Sick of carrying 2 hitch hikers about, so this is my diary

I too was diagnosed with diabetes about 4 years ago, also at the same time was diagnosed with under active thyroid and high cholesterol (6.7), I have tried and tried but can't get along with the tablets, started with Metformin 850mg, then moved to 500mg, then moved to the 500g twice a day and Gliclazide 80mg once a day and then just the Gliclazide on it's own and then the last one...I forget the name even, but about 1 year ago I stopped taking them as they were just making me feel sick, bloated and really gassy (burping eggs all the time) and it really was getting me down, and that's when I really decided the only way I could help myself was to stop taking the tablets and get going seriously with the diet and exercise ..the only tablet I take now is for the thyroid and even that isn't that bad only on 25mg of throxin a day...my cholesterol is now 4.2 and my BS is sitting about 6.9, still a little high but it was originally in the 20+ range, so doctor and I are both happy with that and as I have the skin condition I have blood tests almost every month as the tabs for that can cause kidney failure and they are very happy with my stats too.
I used to weigh in the region of 16 st until I had an accident 14 years ago, the hospital basically wrote me off and I went home and I did the same and in less that 2 years I was 31st+ stayed that way for years and then just about 3 years ago decided enough was enough and here I am now lol and I will NEVER go back to that again...I actually feel alive for a change lol xx

Lily I also have under active thyroid and I take 200mg aday of throxin and 4 x 500mg metformin, my cololesterol is normal but I have high blood pressure, going to the diabetes clinic on tuesday 1st time since joining sw and doing the exercise, hope I can reduce my tablets, went to my sons bbq today he has not see me since starting sw and exercising, they notice I have lost weight and have a good healthy complexion, I was over the moon and had tears in my eyes that they notice, I know my hubby tells me but its nice when other people can tell, it makes it worth the while to keep going, this is for life now there is no going back for me too, you make me feel good and happy just talking to you, it feels like we have friends on this forum (getting weepy now), knowing that we can finally do it and stick to it.
I did not know there was a exercise challenge, do you know the link lily so I can put my name down.

Jane x

Hi Jane,
One of the biggest reasons for me to lose weight now are the number of "illnesses" I have that are associated with my weight, I don't want the diabetes, cholesterol or thyroid problems, it's bad enough I have a back condition that no matter how much weight I lose will still be there but hopefully be a lot less painful (which thankfully it already is) and my skin condition (Palmopustular Psoriasis), I am hoping that that will also improve with my diet and exercise regime..I never have been one that could take tablets, they always make me feel worse, so I always look for the healthy alternative, usually herbal tablet form, but this time I couldn't go down that root, it was diet and exercise or I'd be in my box...but now that I am well into it and have it kind of under control, I am happier than I have ever been in my life.
Isn't it lovely when people other than your partner/hubby notice the difference, really makes it worthwhile.
I know what you mean about friends on the forum, my best friend I met on line, she lives in Australia, we can talk about anything,we are so alike it's uncanny, we call ourselves twins born continents apart lol ..even our birthdays are just 10 days apart and we are the same age, we have met a couple of times and she and her husband are going to be witnesses at my daughters wedding next year.
I think the reason we get on so well is because we live so far apart lol...I am a bit of a loner, i like to be in my own company and I like to talk when I feel like it, I don't like people living in my pocket and don't want to live in theirs, but I would do anything for anyone that needed my help.
Anyway...the link for the exercise is:
http://www.minimins.com/fitness-exercise/226841-exercise-challenge-august-2011-a.html

Good luck with the exercise and if ever you need my help, just holler xx

Yesterday's menu...forgot to add it lol

EE

Breakfast:
Bread x 2 (Hexb)
2 rashers smoked bacon
1/2 tbsp brown sauce 1 syn
Crumble yoghurt 1/2 syn
2 x plums

Lunch:
2 x Nimble Bread 5 syns
Minestrone soup

Dinner:
Roast Pork
Roast Potatoes
Kurly Kale
Cabbage
Carrots
Parsnips
Syn free gravy
Syn Free Lemon Meringue pie

Extras:
Flat Peach
Plums
Banana
Ryvita mini's 4 syns

Total for the day = 10.5 syns

Drank 7 pints of water
Did 1 and half hours exercise

Today's menu

EE

Breakfast:
1 x Weetabix (1/2 Hexb)
Banana
Crumble yoghurt 1/2 syn
2 x plums

Lunch:
Instant Mash Pizza with
Peppers
Onions
Sweetcorn
Passata
Cucumber
Fresh Tomatoes
42g half fat cheddar (Hexa)

Dinner:
Honey, Lime and Chilli Salmon ...very yummy
Tartar sauce x 1 teaspoons 1 syn
New potatoes
Fine Green beans
Courgettes
Carrots

Extras:
Apple
2 x Carrot Cake cupcakes 4 syns
Plums
Flat peach

Total so far = 5.5 syns

Done 3 hours 10 mins exercise
Drunk 8 pints of water so far

:D Thank you kindly. See I knew I'd find something good. That salmon sounds delish.

Did the carrot cake come out well? I love carrot cake, particularly when its spicy.

:D Thank you kindly. See I knew I'd find something good. That salmon sounds delish.

Did the carrot cake come out well? I love carrot cake, particularly when its spicy.

For some unknown reason didn't rise at all, they were only about half inch thick...I wanted more for my 2 syns but the taste was exquisite lol

The Salmon was absolutely gorgeous, will type it all up and send it your way in a few minutes after my next pee lol

Am just pricing up a load of fish, think I might have a fish week this week, the whole week xx

Last edited:
8 pints of water? How many times do you pee lily? Lol

Roziee, I did my first hour and a half exercise of August after midnight last night until about 1.45am and drank 2 pints then so included that in today's, did 1 hour 40 mins this afternoon and as it's so hot drank 3 pints and had 1 pint each with brekkie, lunch and dinner and I think if they had an Olympic event ...I would win the Gold peeing medal for GB lol ...oh I just realised ....everytime I go up and down to the loo...no downstairs loo in my little palace...it's all more exercise I should add at least another half hour to my exercise challenge everyday lol xx

Here is the recipe for the salmon for those that asked (Crumble) xx...enjoy!

Honey, Lime and Chilli Salmon

2 Salmon Fillets
1 teaspoon chilli powder
1 Clove of Garlic, crushed
Juice and zest of 1 Lime
2 teaspoons of honey (2 syns)
S & P
Chopped Coriander
Fry Light
=====================================
Preheat oven to 180°C or 350°F

In a bowl mix, chilli, lime, garlic, honey, s&p and a handful of coriander.
In an oven proof dish, layer the bottom with sliced courgettes, place the salmon fillets on top and spray with fry light, spoon the marinade over the salmon, cook for approx 15 - 20 mins. Serve with marinade spooned over fish and potatoes.

Serves 2
1 syn each on EE

Serve with new potatoes, and fresh veg or lay on a bed of salad with new potatoes

WI tonight, I really don't feel confident, had an awful nights sleep last night was too darn hot, put the fan on and that was annoying me , so was up and down all night, got up eventually after trying to go back to sleep (didn't doze off until close on 5am), at 8.05am, ankles are swollen, can't keep off loo, residue water from yesterday maybe lol
Oh well whatever will be will be...spose it's a good thing that if I do put on I don't have to explain to everyone how (specially as I don't know how)...I may have put on (I'm definitely a pessimist, glass is always half empty until it's about someone else, then I am ALWAYS the optimist) as we have taster night tonight, DD2 has done a gorgeous strawberry cheesecake, at 3 syns a slice it's worth a try and I have made Chicken cake but with my own added little extras, not had it this way before so even I am looking forward to it lol...so wish me luck, I really want my 1/2lb for my next shiny that's just calling my name lol xx

Oh forgot, how good was I ...my gorgeous future son in law bought pressies for everyone last night, had done some extra work (he's an electrician) and got well paid so decided to treat everyone, he's a real doll...so he bought my daughter, his fiancée, a lovely bunch of pink roses and a bag of minstrels, got my hubby a huge pack of his fave choccy bars and I got a beautiful bunch of mixed flowers and a bag of Maltesers...my favourites....now instead of chomping on them as I usually do and they are gone in 5 mins lol...I thanked him, said I would leave them until after weigh in tonight and then just have a few every now and then...so who is this woman with all the willpower and what have you done with the real Lily ? lol...I can't believe that's me ...I swear in the past by the time he had gone out the door to go give my hubby his I would have almost scoffed mine, but they are sitting in my fridge ...it's really hot and they are melting and i will have just a few now and then ...I am so proud of me ...if it is me that is?? hmmmm :8855:

EE

Breakfast:
1 X Weetabix (1/2 Hexb)
Crumble yoghurt 1/2 syn
Banana
Flat Peach
Coffee 1.5 syns

Lunch:
Minestrone Soup

and god knows what else at WI food taster night lol xx

Don't panic Lily, It will go fine tonight because your menus have been looking good all week and you've really hit the exercising. ;)

That salmon recipe is going in my case and I'm getting DH to make me that while we're away this weekend. I hardly ever have salmon and its gorgeous.
DH said I can have whatever I want while away so thats one meal sorted. :D

Well done on avoiding the chocolate so far. ;)
I've got a drawer full of chocolate hidden away. My dad always gives us stuff when we go round and I've stowed mine away for ages.
Daren't put it in the fridge in case SIL nabs it. :rolleyes: S'pect its a chocolate pool in this heat.

Don't panic Lily, It will go fine tonight because your menus have been looking good all week and you've really hit the exercising. ;)

That salmon recipe is going in my case and I'm getting DH to make me that while we're away this weekend. I hardly ever have salmon and its gorgeous.
DH said I can have whatever I want while away so thats one meal sorted. :D

Well done on avoiding the chocolate so far. ;)
I've got a drawer full of chocolate hidden away. My dad always gives us stuff when we go round and I've stowed mine away for ages.
Daren't put it in the fridge in case SIL nabs it. :rolleyes: S'pect its a chocolate pool in this heat.

I just have a really bad feeling, water tabs don't seem to have kicked in today, feet are so badly swollen, the heat is still unbearable 26 and soooo humid it's making me feel sick and of course I had to choose a dish for tonight that takes 2 hours to cook in the oven ...why didn't I do what my daughter did a nice cool cheesecake lol
Anyway, whatever happens tonight, I am still almost 11 st lighter than I was a few years ago and for that I am eternally proud of myself xx...(it's all about the bigger picture, not the few hiccups) xx

Anyway, whatever happens tonight, I am still almost 11 st lighter than I was a few years ago and for that I am eternally proud of myself xx...(it's all about the bigger picture, not the few hiccups) xx

That's the attitude. And you will have a lovely evening tasting the goodies. :rolleyes:

Ohhh...You could regard it as a reconnaissance mission andfind more recipes to bring back to us. :bliss:

Lily I'm in love with them crumble yoghuts:) I went out on Saturday night and got some yummy!!!!
Good luck fow wi hunni.Great attitude Lily to have you are doing an amazing job:). I sts last week which I was happy about wrong time of the month and just felt so bloated and blah!!! So far having a good week.Thanks for sharing all the recipes:).xx

Back