Skin Care Tips...?

Atropos

Gold Member
Not sure if this is the right place for this - but I wanted to swap some ideas and tips for skin care during weight loss.

Here's mine:

Quick whole body cleansing, moisturising, exfoliating and firming in one step

In the past I have thrown away dozens of tubes of expensive "firming" or "anti-cellulite" creams because 1.) I can't find the time/the routine to apply them every day and 2.) I HATE the yucky feel of sticky greasy creams on my skin after a shower. Ditto sugar and salt scrubs (which also left the shower sticky and dirty after use).

Then I few weeks ago read an article about the Eve Lom hot flannel face routine, and adapted it for my whole body. It's quick, cheap, fits into my morning schedule and so far seems to be working really well.

Basically - I just put on a shower cap, slather every inch I can reach with a nice but inexpensive body butter (Palmer's Skin Firming Cocoa butter) and my face with Simple cleansing lotion (£2 a bottle!), then get into the shower and wash it all off with a ordinary face flannel. Most days I don't use soap at all.

The combination of the hot water and the flannel seems to "melt" the lotion into the skin, remove dirt, makeup traces and dead skin and leaves my skin feeling clean, soft, firm(ish) and supple for the rest of the day.

The face flannel (£1.20 for 10 at Ikea) goes straight into a basket under the sink, and once a fortnight I wash a whole batch of them.

The only downside I've spotted so far is that the shower is a little more slippery than usual, so I've added some of those stick on non-slip flowers to prevent accidents.

That sounds really good, Atropos. I have awfully dry skin and love Palmer's - and that chocolatey smell is gorgeous!

If anyone is looking for an extraordinarily effective, yet ultimately very inexpensive way of exfoliating their body, I'd highly recommend Dermalogica's Ultimate Buffing Cloth (I think that some Japanese wash cloths also have a similar effect). Saves a fortune on buying exfoliating scrubs as these Dermalogica cloths last for ages (had mine for several years). They make your skin feel baby soft, even the knees and elbows.

All you do is wet the cloth, apply a little body wash into it, and then scrub your body. Because the cloth is nice and long, you can wrap it around your back to make scrubbing there much easier, too.

I use moisturiser after the shower, so will try to see if it's better using it before. Added bonus if no shower gel is needed - even the sensitive skin stuff is drying.

Will report back!

seems like a bit of a waste of a good stuff for me, everything goes down the drain :(
I bodybrush everyday in the morning (well almost), then a little bit of bio oil on the risky areas and palmers firming butter after shower later on

Back