Slim. & save or lighter life

Phoenyx

Step away from the cake..
I'm on slim and save at the moment (2 days in) but about to join lighter life (doc appt on mon). The reason for the switch was that I feel like I need the counselling and weekly support. But it'll be expensive - I need a babysitter for 2 hrs as well as £72 for packs etc.

However, I'm worried about money. Part of me is saying sod it, stick to it, 4 months to lose the weight I need, better than faffing around for longer because I don't have the support I need. plus ive spent so much on diets to this point, I really should pay the extra to sort my head out.

The other part of me says I can do it alone, it's a considerable amount of money I'd save which is important because I'm already in debt. and there's not much difference between the two.

I know no one else can decide for me, but your opinions would be valued.

Ive never done LL but theres no way I could spend that a week on packs.

I did Exante and I had loads of days where I picked at food, albeit low cal high protein food. Since I started S&S I havent deviated once, the meal packs are such a pleasant change from the shakes Ive not been tempted to stray

If you need the discipline of someone weighing you why not get your partner, parent, friend or doctor to do it. My mum weighs me every Sunday and its every bit as effective as a class, in fact more so, cos if I dont do well I feel Ive let her down too. The plus side is I get such a fab reaction when I have a good week and a cuddle if Im disappointed :)

Id definitely say go with S&S :)

Have your thought about Cambridge? As I just go and see a lady to get my shakes talk through any issues and the support on here is fantastic. Being slimmer is great but not getting in debt for it maybe not a good idea. I personally think you gain weight because you eat too burn compared to the amount you burn. But when you weigh less you have more energy to commit to exercise. Keep coming on here to talk as its like counseling for free, it's nice to speak to people who are doing the same as you as total food replacement isn't easy takes a lot of mind power.

I chose S&S, after talking to friends who are on LL, I just couldn't justify that additional expense as my budget is very tight. One of the reasons I've not done a VCLD before was always the cost, then I found this forum and found out about S&S, and decided to go for it, the prices were a big thing for me, plus all the positive posts about the taste etc. I'm not sure if the counselling would be of benefit to me, I'm not giving myself that option, haha!

It isn't easy doing it by yourself, but tbh I have found the support and encouragement from this forum to be amazing and it's enough for me, that and my own determination to not be this big any longer.

However, as you say, only you know what's best for you, if you need the counselling then LL is the way to go I guess, even tho it's expensive, if it works that expense is worth it in the long term.

Good luck with your choice :)

The reason for paying more for support is because you totally need the support and for some people it's essential. For myself it's something I definitely didn't want as I know that I have it in me to do this on my own if I set my mind to it. Only you can decide what's best. Good luck whatever you decide.

I've done LL before, and cambridge and both times I lost but came undone when theI couldn't get to meetings (once when I moved, the other when my LL councellor left).... and thats one reason i'm liking SS... its delivered fast and I know i'm not relying on having to be at a meeting on a certain day in a certain week.
When I started S&S my idea was i'd do it for around a month, then go to LL.... I did honestly love the group meetings, and getting to know the other girls there.... and I loved the set timeframes. Now i'm 7 weeks into S&S and have no plans of changing soon... once you get into the diet it just becomes normality. I weigh in with an online friend every sunday.... we set mini goals... moan to each other occassionally.... and talk each other into continuing when we have bad weeks. If you feel you *need* the support LL is great.... but in terms of content its a very similar diet, and for all but an hour a week you'll be 'going it alone' anyway.... so if finances are an issue i'd advice to stick to slim and save for a few weeks and see how you feel then?

Also like someone said CD is cheaper than LL, and some CDC's do home visits too.... so that might be worth considering!

But whichever.... get yourself a buddy or post manicly here.... theres plenty of support out there! x

You ladies have been a huge help to me, I've just read your recent posts and you have helped me come to the decision to change from LL to S&S, I don't even have the counselling sessions so don't know why I'm bothering to pay so much for LL! I must be mad!! Sorting my first S&S order as I speak! Any of the bars/shakes/meals anyone particularly love??? X

Lindsay988 said:
You ladies have been a huge help to me, I've just read your recent posts and you have helped me come to the decision to change from LL to S&S, I don't even have the counselling sessions so don't know why I'm bothering to pay so much for LL! I must be mad!! Sorting my first S&S order as I speak! Any of the bars/shakes/meals anyone particularly love??? X

If your not having counselling then most definitely a good swap ;)
I suppose it's very personal taste, my fans are
Shakes:
Strawberry, caramel, chocolate, banana and the crispy ones made into a thick dessert ( just add less water then drink more to compensate )
Bars:
Choc Truffa is gorgeous, not keen on muesli but hubbie likes it. Haven't tried other lemon one yet.
Meals:
Chicken soup is nice, veg is ok.
Not keen on oatmeal but hubbie likes that and sweet porridge
Chilli and cottage pie are both nice. Have more meals coming this week as only had these two as samples for first order,

There is a thread about this somewhere which may be a better help.

Good luck and welcome xx

Last edited:
I love the shepherds pie and Truffa choc bar. Ok on soups - they're v convenient for work. Don't like muesli. I like the cafe latte shake. Haven't Had any more yet.

Thanks for all your help guys - I think I'm going to go to one LL meeting and see if I like the counsellor and group because I don't have any other support here - have only just moved here. I don't think I can make a judgement yet as I haven't met the counsellor. In a way, if I really get on with her or really don't like her, it makes the decision much easier!

I've had the sample pack and am just starting to try them, having used up my last few LL packs. The slim and save ones are lovely! (Well, the ones I've had so far anyway.) and there's so much variety, which is brilliant. I've got money worries too and the price of s and s is definitely also a plus.

I don't have any other support here - have only just moved here.

Where have you moved from/to?

And is it really worth getting into debt for? To me it seems that you'll find it harder if you start worrying more and more about money.

I do both LL and SnS at the same time.... I started on LL and added SnS packs about 4 months ago. I really like the SnS meals and bars so it helps me to stick to it. I did consider stopping LL and doing purely SnS. However, I decided against it because I think the counselling is really useful - and I'm someone who never thought I needed counselling. It is not about having someone else to weigh in front of. For me this diet will have failed if I don't get to the end of it with a different relationship with food so that I can manage my weight better when at goal. It's not about just the support (which is fantastic already on this board!) but about the questioning why you do what you do. It has been incredibly powerful for me. I also think that the counselling will be essential for me through re-feeding as re-introducing certain foods will be a problem for me and I'd like to address any problems straight away. I also found that when I was on 4 packs a day and no other food (no milk or veggies) which is the LL total plan it really gave me the space to think about my relationship with food without food being in my life. This was a really powerful time for me. I want this to be the last time I have to lose the weight and I'm willing to invest in making that happen.

LL is expensive though. If your budget is tight you'll need to take that into consideration. Perhaps an alternative would be to do SnS and to get individual weight counselling from a therapist. Not sure whether this would work out any cheaper though. I don't know if you have done so but I would suggest posting this question on the LL forum too as generally people who are on SnS are likely to recommend SnS (as they chose it for a reason!) and people on LL are likely to recommend LL - but you'll get a more balanced view by asking both groups.

As everyone else has said, only you can decide, and you need to do what you feel is right. If the extra money is worth the support and you feel that you'd lose weight quicker then you might end up spending the same on LL if you fall off the wagon a few times on this? Also as other people have said, the cambridge diet looks fab. I spoke to a few of the counsellors and they're lovely, so helpful, and have been through every emotion that you'll go through on the diet. I think that it's £42 for a week, and some of them also do mobile visits which is handy.

Good luck with whatever you do :)

x

The other thing is.... if you go for LL theres nothing to say you can't switch back if your finding the finances hard.

When your spending over £70 a week it can be great motivation .. ie, you dont want to waste all that money by cheating... but at the same time on 'bad loss' weeks its also easy to be demoralized when 1lb doesnt seem to match the money and effort you put in.

Back