Slimmers Paralysis/foot drop

Claire13

Hi everyone,

I'm new here though have been taking a peak every now and again when I was googling pro points. I have lost about 2.5 stone in a year through weight watchers and have now been told that I have developed a foot drop from weight loss. From my research this is also known as slimmers paralysis (no one tells you about having more health problems after weight loss)! its essentially when u loose weight you loose the fat pad that covers your peronial nerve so any knock to the nerve will damage it. Even crossing your legs too much will lead to nerve damage. But while my foot drop is on the mend I have no idea what the future holds. Will I be forever susceptible to foot drop? Or will the nerve pads develop over time? Do I need to put on weight (which will go to my stomach and thighs before my nerve in my knee)? Do I need to stop loosing weight? Has this happened to anyone else? I have googled it to death but its just listed as a cause of foot drop and doesn't explain what happens to patients afterwards. I would love to hear from someone who had this condition too.

Any comments or words of advice would be very appreciative.:)

Goodness, Claire, what an unexpected thing to happen. I'm glad you are on the mend.

I'm not sure how many people read this forum - so you mkight want to repost this on the general WW forum here to get more input. I hadn't heard of this problem - so am hoping I escape it.

Good luck

Back