Slimming world portion control - I've found what the problem for me with Extra Easy

My fitness pal is brilliant! I was on red/green days with EE on a sunday and i found for awhile i wasnt loosing... So i noted down everything i ate, along with excersice(sp) and found i was comming out at 900-1000 cals a day >.< so i bumped up my portion size and decreased exersice and ive managed to loose 6lb since =]

SW sould bring out a plate with portion sizes on, id buy one lol =]

That is really helpful - knowing what portion sizes you are eating

Ive done Extra Easy for the last 36 weeks and have had a weight loss every week so far. I must admit i more or less weighed my starchy carbs from day one and i think this is the key to it. I would look on the back of packets have what that would consider a normal serving and have no more than that. I will give you afew examples of what i currently have and the weight of what i have (not just starchy carbs):
Basmati Rice - 30-50g per serving (if you get a 50ml scoop this filled with basmati rice and leveled off is 50g)
Pasta - 30-50g
Potatoes - 220-350g
Sweet Potatoes - 250-400g
Mushy peas i just buy the smallist can they do (in Aldi they are like 8p a tin) and have the whole tin.
Baked beans i would have half a tin but use the other half the next day.
Kidney beans i normally make a chilli once a week and use a whole tin in that and split it into 4-5 containers.
Fat free natural yogurt - i would use 3-5 Tbsp at a time
Fat free cottage cheese - about 150g
Eggs - no more than 3 a day and i would take the yolk out of one of them

If you struggle with the "once the container/tin is open i eat the lot" try and buy the smallest containers/tins that you can.

Meat wise i usually dont weigh but use this as a rough guide line
Extra lean mince - 100-200g per serving (dependant on whether im having a chilli (100-125g) or burgers (200g) i roughly split a whole pack when i buy them for burgers or use 500g pack for chilli con carne's
Chicken - i only eat chicken breast and have 1-1 1/2 breasts
Turkey - i only eat turkey breast and have 120-200g i buy them in packs of that size
Salmon - 100-150g i always cook with the skin on then take it off before i eat it, i buy these when they are on offer for half price at morrisons in packs of 2's that weigh between 250-350g (with the skin on)
Bacon - 4-8 rashers (8 if its weight watchers medallions) i only have bacon about once every other week
Turkey bacon - 6 rashers, i only have these on the odd occasion

Probably doesnt seem like much of a selection there but i can make endless meals out of the above. I mostly cook more than one meals worth at a time and either store in a container in the fridge or freezer.

this is very useful when you arn't sure what portions other people are having for their meals. Please anybody else like to give me example of their portions?

Many thanks Samantha

I tend to go off what the package says is a serving, and i only really do this with rice and pasta. With rice i buy the the Uncle Ben's 10 minute single bags, doesn't look much dry but it's plenty with your meal.

I buy the huge sack of fuscilli pasta for £3 from Asda and it says a serving is 100g dry weight, i will admit i used to think this measly (i would eat double that!) but once eaten with 1/3 superfree and whatever meat etc, you get used to it and i don't get that overly full feeling anymore it just feels 'nice' once i've finished.

When i looked on the back of the back of Pasta and Rice packets its quite frightening how many calories there is in them and if you just stick a load in a pan you could be easily having upwards of 500 cals for one portion without realising.

I love my rice cooker its the best invention haha. Defo with Basmati rice it is more or less ML for Gram cause i just use a 50ml measure and it weighs 50grams.

I am usually 80-100g dry pasta, 60g rice, potatoes I don't measure. I eat until I'm full and sometimes I leave food on my plate. If it helps, I changed to wholewheat pasta/brown rice over two years ago and this has naturally made me eat less as I think it fills you a bit more. xx

Back