Slimming world portion control - I've found what the problem for me with Extra Easy

speckless

My weight loss has been inconsistant with 1/2 lb loss to nothing for week after week. I believe that I have been doing everything right following the diet strictly only not to lose hardly any weight. I've tried all the recommended things like water, 1/3 plate of super free etc etc. I've lost only 12lb since January. While others have been losing lbs dropping off them much to my leaders dismay as she struggled to figure out what the problem was.

Well I felt I was eating too much so I calorie counted using the my fitness pal app which soon identified that I was eating too much cottage cheese 500g pot per day, fromage frai 500g pot for snacks even with 1/3 salad, or fruit it was way too much food. This app really made me see where I'm eating too much and rethink the eat until your are full policy of Slimming world. I did find on the diet that it mentions in moderation but what does that mean to fat people who don't understand what the average portion size is?

This app has made me reduce the intake to more modest levels and still follow the plan which is excellent. If anybody is struggling look at this app it really helps to identifiy if you are overeating on the diet. Afterall moderation is meanless unless you know what portions you should be having.

Sam

I try to make smaller portions then if still hungry have fruit or yogurt

I agree that when consultants push the "eat until your full" bit I worry about what people see as full

As a big lady and starting out I do have quite big portions but its of superfree. I have a huge salad with small potato and half a tub of the small cottage cheese and then a yogurt. And im nice and full around 3ish I have to have an apple or an orange but for me if I dont have big potions then I will snack more and lose my focus. This way im having 3 meals with fruit snacking or some chocolate with my syns when my daughter is asleep. So for me right now eating big is helping as u can see in my weight loss below. But I know as the weight comes off it gets harder to loose because your body is fighting u for the fat so when that happens I will have to do smaller portions. So it does depend on your body type, at what stage of.slimming world you are at and what helps you to loose weight and be happy.

Last edited:
I think that this solution would depend on how old you are and whether you think in metric or imperial measures, but I find it helps if you think that 500g of something is actually over 1lb

A pound of cottage cheese, to me, sounds a heck of a lot more than 500g (yes, I know that is daft!)

I agree portion sense is something that Iam learning

I think that this solution would depend on how old you are and whether you think in metric or imperial measures, but I find it helps if you think that 500g of something is actually over 1lb

A pound of cottage cheese, to me, sounds a heck of a lot more than 500g (yes, I know that is daft!)

Yes, I agree with you having struggled to get 12lb off when I've been doing Sw for over a year and have 6 stone to go it was very disheartening

Very good post. I think sometimes we do get caught up with the word "free" and take it to the extreme. I have seen a few posts where someone has made the 1/2 a syn cake and eaten the whole thing. We prob wouldn't of even eaten a whole cake in our unhealthy days. Although it is only half a syn, it contains lots of eggs, which although free are high in fat and far too much to be eaten by one person in a day on top of your meals. Not to mention all the other ingredients, when you add your toppings etc.

I think It is good advice to perhaps look at the volume of stuff using my fitness pal if you find you are sticking to the plan and weight is not coming off. Like the op has posted it helps to see where you are going to the extreme and pull it back a bit. Most of us have a problem recogsning when we are full, because otherwise. We wouldn't be here trying to lose weight. It can be learnt though, it just takes time.

As someone who is capable of eating loads I do try and limit my free food especially when snacking. I know sw say eat as much as you like but they do also say to reach for the superfree first. I try and keep to the manufacturers recommended portions on things like cottage cheese but will admit to often going over.

However I would not like the plan to change and for me learning to self regulate portion control is something I am working on.

Whilst its always useful to consider portion control, I do think that we need to be aware of the fact that a new member to Slimming World may not need to be so careful! There will be plenty of people out there who are thinking 'I eat a whole tub of cottage cheese a day & I still loose'

So, I guess what I'm trying to say is that, if you are still loosing, don't worry. Eat til you are full. If that means a tub of cottage cheese, go for you life! Its a damn sight better than eating a whole hunk of cheese, or a bar of chocolate.

Whilst its always useful to consider portion control, I do think that we need to be aware of the fact that a new member to Slimming World may not need to be so careful! There will be plenty of people out there who are thinking 'I eat a whole tub of cottage cheese a day & I still loose'

So, I guess what I'm trying to say is that, if you are still loosing, don't worry. Eat til you are full. If that means a tub of cottage cheese, go for you life! Its a damn sight better than eating a whole hunk of cheese, or a bar of chocolate.

Yes you're right - its all about finding out whats right for you.

I only do Green, and have to say I load my plate with spuds, rice or pasta and often go back for seconds but I only ever snack on fruit.

Very good post. I think sometimes we do get caught up with the word "free" and take it to the extreme. I have seen a few posts where someone has made the 1/2 a syn cake and eaten the whole thing. We prob wouldn't of even eaten a whole cake in our unhealthy days. Although it is only half a syn, it contains lots of eggs, which although free are high in fat and far too much to be eaten by one person in a day on top of your meals. Not to mention all the other ingredients, when you add your toppings etc.

I think It is good advice to perhaps look at the volume of stuff using my fitness pal if you find you are sticking to the plan and weight is not coming off. Like the op has posted it helps to see where you are going to the extreme and pull it back a bit. Most of us have a problem recogsning when we are full, because otherwise. We wouldn't be here trying to lose weight. It can be learnt though, it just takes time.

Paul McKenna's "I can make you thin" has an excellent section about recognising when you feel full and he teaches readers to use a hunger scale. I recommend it.

So basically (I realise this had got waffly!!) if you're losing, and youre happy with your rate of loss - keep at it.
If you're not losing/you're gaining/you're not happy - think about portion sizes as part of your general review of how well you're actually following the plan.

I really like this. With SW I thought the main point was not going hungry, eating lots of the good stuff (free & super free) & recognising your body's signals? I joined SW online last week & to be honest there is nothing really on there about portion control - it's all about free yourself from all that, eat the things that are healthy & free & eat until you are full. The key seems to be learning to really listen to your body's satiety signals. I've got a little panicky coming away from there & on here where there is much more talk about portion control! Makes me nervous for Saturday weigh in! I have stuck to the plan all week- & done my third super free with each meal, but in each meal I've also not skimped on the pasta!! Saturday will tell me if this approach is right for me I guess - hope it is though- I've eaten more fruit & veg this week than ever before & haven't felt hungry once! :)

I really like this. With SW I thought the main point was not going hungry, eating lots of the good stuff (free & super free) & recognising your body's signals? I joined SW online last week & to be honest there is nothing really on there about portion control - it's all about free yourself from all that, eat the things that are healthy & free & eat until you are full. The key seems to be learning to really listen to your body's satiety signals. I've got a little panicky coming away from there & on here where there is much more talk about portion control! Makes me nervous for Saturday weigh in! I have stuck to the plan all week- & done my third super free with each meal, but in each meal I've also not skimped on the pasta!! Saturday will tell me if this approach is right for me I guess - hope it is though- I've eaten more fruit & veg this week than ever before & haven't felt hungry once! :)

I'm sure you'll be fine Teri. I've done Extra Easy for the past 12 months and had consistent losses (then maintained) the whole time. I now eat a lot less food and much smaller portions because I feel full and satiated (love that word!). My husband also eats a lot less (not that he was overweight) as he pretty much eats what I eat. I hardly drink alcohol anymore and he has also cut back, not for any particular reason but we both just want to feel healthy and bright. Slimming World is brilliant, but I would also recommend the Paul McKenna thing to anyone who struggles with motivation and/or knowing when they feel full.

TeriS said:

Honestly, I lost nearly 3 stone before I had to start worrying about portion control to this extent. You'll be fine hun x

Well it's a good discussion point because I have really struggled to get any weight off. Only 12lbs since jan and before that only 8lbs before Xmas having started in may 2011. Something had to be wrong following the diet really strictly it could only be the tion sizes,as both my leader and I tried everything.

Well it's a good discussion point because I have really struggled to get any weight off. Only 12lbs since jan and before that only 8lbs before Xmas having started in may 2011. Something had to be wrong following the diet really strictly it could only be the tion sizes,as both my leader and I tried everything.

Its a really interesting discussion and something that people do need to think about if they are following plan 100% and not loosing

Already my portions are starting to get smaller naturally

This! lol

Before I started SW, I could easily polish off a whole portion of shredded chilli chicken, a bag of chips and a curry sauce from the Chinese. I might even have added a chicken ball or some fried rice to that and still eaten it all, and had sweets after!!
I tried this recently lol. For my birthday in July I decided I was going to have that night off and just take the gain. So I ordered up a Chinese and only ate about a third of it before throwing it away. I was disgusted because it was such a waste of money and it wasn't as delicious as I remembered.
As for the "eat until you're full" thing... I honestly think it should be changed to "eat until you're satisfied". You know that stage in a meal when you're no longer scoffing the food and you slow down and chew more? Yeah, you're probably already full - i.e. satisfied. I used to ignore that feeling - still do sometimes, depending on how yummy the food is haha - and continue eating until I felt uncomfortable. Another idea is to take sips of water as you're eating, and not wait til your plate is cleared to gobble down a glass. You don't realise how especially full you are until you try to fit a glass of water on top of it.

Ive done Extra Easy for the last 36 weeks and have had a weight loss every week so far. I must admit i more or less weighed my starchy carbs from day one and i think this is the key to it. I would look on the back of packets have what that would consider a normal serving and have no more than that. I will give you afew examples of what i currently have and the weight of what i have (not just starchy carbs):
Basmati Rice - 30-50g per serving (if you get a 50ml scoop this filled with basmati rice and leveled off is 50g)
Pasta - 30-50g
Potatoes - 220-350g
Sweet Potatoes - 250-400g
Mushy peas i just buy the smallist can they do (in Aldi they are like 8p a tin) and have the whole tin.
Baked beans i would have half a tin but use the other half the next day.
Kidney beans i normally make a chilli once a week and use a whole tin in that and split it into 4-5 containers.
Fat free natural yogurt - i would use 3-5 Tbsp at a time
Fat free cottage cheese - about 150g
Eggs - no more than 3 a day and i would take the yolk out of one of them

If you struggle with the "once the container/tin is open i eat the lot" try and buy the smallest containers/tins that you can.

Meat wise i usually dont weigh but use this as a rough guide line
Extra lean mince - 100-200g per serving (dependant on whether im having a chilli (100-125g) or burgers (200g) i roughly split a whole pack when i buy them for burgers or use 500g pack for chilli con carne's
Chicken - i only eat chicken breast and have 1-1 1/2 breasts
Turkey - i only eat turkey breast and have 120-200g i buy them in packs of that size
Salmon - 100-150g i always cook with the skin on then take it off before i eat it, i buy these when they are on offer for half price at morrisons in packs of 2's that weigh between 250-350g (with the skin on)
Bacon - 4-8 rashers (8 if its weight watchers medallions) i only have bacon about once every other week
Turkey bacon - 6 rashers, i only have these on the odd occasion

Probably doesnt seem like much of a selection there but i can make endless meals out of the above. I mostly cook more than one meals worth at a time and either store in a container in the fridge or freezer.

Back