Slimming World Success with a Personal Trainer?

slrayner

Hi everyone
Firstly happy new year!!

I have started doing 3 personal training sessions a week which I am really loving.
However, he's put me on a low carb diet with small portions and I'm starving, cranky and I've started getting bad headaches

I've been thinking of switching over to SW whilst continuing the PT sessions. However, I'm really worried I'll start to put weight on, or won't loose any and then the PT will have been for nothing or I won't get as good results.
What are your thoughts? Thank you x

Hiya

I really can't offer any advice on this level, but all i will say is that if you are eating well AND exercising, then you are treating your body really well. Better than just eating well, or just exercising and eating poorly.

I can't offer advice on the science of how exercise affects weight in terms of losses or gains, but maybe it's better for you to work off clothes and inches, rather than what the scales say?

I think it's easy to get a bit carried away, almost obsessed with the numbers on the scales, when really we should look at how we feel and even how our clothes fit.

From SW experience, people have had STS/gains in their first week or two when beginning exercise but I think it evens itself out after that.

Hopefully someone can better advice on the sciencey bit :)

Hey! Happy new year!

I agree with what orangesuitcase said - focus on other benefits of exercise, not just the number on the scales - at least in the short term! It's best not to think of exercise as a quick path to losing weight, but as a long-term path to burning excess fat (along with zillions of other health benefits). Remember that most of the excess weight on your body isn't fat, it's just water (about 70% of it, or thereabouts - everybody fluctuates all the time - most people gain and lose several lbs every single day); and therefore most of the weight you gain and lose is also water.

What the PT is telling you to do makes sense. Eating a high protein and low carb diet (hopefully getting many of your carbs from lots of fresh fruit/veggies/salads) is a really good way to lose weight and burn fat, and it's definitely compatible with slimming-world. Please take a look at SW Red Days where large amounts of protein along with lots of fruit+veg is heavily encouraged. That's not to say you won't have a short-term gain after switching diet - by putting your body into the "shock" of diet change you might end up with some temporary water retention - just remember that it's only water, which just falls out really quickly and easily :)

You definitely shouldn't need to restrict the amount of food you eat with SW or feel hungry (but remember to drink enough water because sometimes we feel hungry when really we're dehydrated). One of the things which SW taught me is how many foods which I assumed were "healthy" or good for weight loss, which actually turned out to be really bad, including how much complete utter garbage is hidden in all kinds of innocent looking pre-packaged, shop-bought things like jars of tomato sauce or so-called healthy snacks made from cooked/dried fruit. these days I tend not to eat something where I don't know what it contains and what it's be doing to me, so I prefer to cook my own stuff where I can; and if I end up eating out at a restaurant I usually go for whatever looks "least bad", knowing that even the healthy salad is probably drowned in some high-fat-high-sugar dressing.

The way your body gains fat is mostly from the insulin in your bloodstream storing excess glucose as body fat. Protein takes a relatively long time to break down as glucose (Much longer than carbs! Refined sugars and processed carbohydrates are your real arch-nemesis here because your body soaks it up like a sponge), so by eating loads of protein your body should use it up as energy as soon as it's broken down into glucose, so it won't enter your bloodstream as excess glucose. That means there'll be nothing for your body to store as fat; in fact, it should be quite the opposite - you will probably have a deficit, thereby forcing your body to burn stored fat instead. So in a nutshell, that is the basic idea behind the SW Red days, and pretty much what your PT seems to be asking you to try.

It takes some effort to actually eat so much protein that you gain weight from it; and you'd need to end up practically living off an extreme "bodybuilder" type diet where you're demolishing two tins of tuna every day for breakfast, eating 6 eggs per day, a whole roast chicken every night, a pound of cottage cheese every day, etc. You're more likely to suffer kidney failure than weight gain by doing all of that. Just don't go overboard and you will be fine; also mix it up with loads of fruit+veg, try to drink several litres of water every day, and don't disrupt your sleep by eating late at night. Look for some nice recipes to avoid living off a load of bland/tasteless food where you're not resorting to sugar/white flour/jars of sauces/etc. The key to success is: Everything in moderation.

Exercise can be great for "pure" fat burning so long as you're preventing your body from gaining fat from your dietary habits. Of course that's why your PT wants you to cut back on the carbs - in reality your body really doesn't need many carbs to stay strong and healthy unless its for energy to do a lot of excercise. Otherwise, about 100g of carbs per day is the most which anybody really needs for their health and wellbeing. Some foods are bound to make you gain fat and/or negate the fat-burning benefits of exercise - typically those are the processed foods, sugars, refined carbs, lactose from dairy, etc - most of which is bad anyway because it tends to have little or no nutritional benefit to you whatsoever. So long as you avoid the foods which cause your body to store fat in the first place, then you won't be gaining fat from changing your diet. The quantity of food you eat is far less important than 'what' you eat.

Lastly, try not to look too closely at what's happening on any single given week; everybody hits a plateau sometimes, or has a week where they gain or STS, and the big picture is often hard to see until you look back over a long period of time, especially when you've had a bad week where it feels like losing weight is impossible. Just keep going and think about where you'll be in 7 months, not in 7 days :)

Good luck!

Last edited:
@Bench , that's a fantastic reply, thanks for sharing.

Hi! New to the forum :) I can say from experience that SW + personal trainer = amazing progress! I was doing Extra Easy on SW with 2x 2 hour sessions per week with a great PT who was fully supportive of the SW plan but, as can be expected, was a bit sceptical about the portion sizes/unlimited carbs. The best thing to do would be as many SP days as possible, but I rarely did and I lost just under 2st in 4-5 months with the PT as well as 2 Zumba classes per week :D A lot of hard work but it eventually became part of my routine (and I could go all out at the weekends pretty much guilt free :rolleyes:). I'm currently living in France and unfortunately have put a lot back on...finding it much harder to stay motivated!! Hoping the new year will bring some better habits.

I am trying to follow Slimming world and also having a trainer once a week. Only once or twice has his plan clashed with SW plan. Actually saying that..

SW focuses a LOT on the numbers on the scale.. low fat etc etc. My trainer focuses more on strength (obviously) and eating "good fats." ie avacado. If you were to eat a whole avacado on the SW plan.. you would have to syn this.. 9 SYNS!! Nuts are another one.. a very very small handful of nuts is considered as a Healthy B option on SW.. It has been a bit mind boggling at times.

I think it "can" work as Bench said.. if it is worked with carefully. It is true what they say though.. that you can't out run a bad diet. I hope this works out for you. :)

I'm managing, with fair success, to combine SW and clean eating. This means that I have as little processed food as possible (no flavoured yogurts, "diet" or "low fat" anythings, no cereal bars etc). I'm probably about 80% clean, 20% not, which is working well. There are things that I would eat if I wasn't on SW and just clean eating but I find I lose weight much more effectively when I combine the two. :)

SW focuses a LOT on the numbers on the scale.. low fat etc etc. My trainer focuses more on strength (obviously) and eating "good fats." ie avacado. If you were to eat a whole avacado on the SW plan.. you would have to syn this.. 9 SYNS!! Nuts are another one.. a very very small handful of nuts is considered as a Healthy B option on SW..
Yes, it does make me sad that ALL fats are bad on SW. It's the one thing they do wrong, in my opinion. I used to always cook with coconut oil, now I'm using frylight, which really bothers me as I'm sacrificing "clean" for "SW friendly". The nuts is another one. I do have nuts as part of my HeB a lot of the time.

I have to admit.. I HATE fry light. I'm sure its what is ruining all my pans. :mad:

In the long run.. you are doing more exercise and eating "better." So weight loss is surely going to happen right? (She says.. Although I have a habit of eating far far too much.)

Back