Slow cooker panic

GracieMai

I got a slow cooker for xmas, which I love and have used it all weekend with great results. I've put it on this morning and come to work (I work 40 miles from where i live) and now I'm panicking that I will have no house to go home to!!! I'm still not 100% sure on the rules of slow cooking eeek!!!
I've put in 2 chicken breasts, carrots and potatoes, will they be ok or do I need to drive home super fast and save my house????!!!

Thanks xx

haha, don't worry!! You'll be fine - they usually have a switch off mechanism if they get too hot!!!

Out f interest have you put any liquid in with it? I see a lot of pwople on here talking about using it dry to do jackets/chicken etc - never tried it myself - feel much happier leaving it with liquid in!!!

x

If there is liquid in it and it was left on a low setting it should be ok. I have left mine on overnight with no problems at all. It might be slightly overcooked, assuming you wont be home til around 6ish?

Yep I'll be home about 6ish. Nope havent put any water in it, wasnt sure if i needed to or not (the panic is coming back). I cooked a pork joint with veg and potatoes yesterday with no water in and it was fine (I was home all day so didnt have to worry), so assumed I wouldnt have to worry today but I'm a bit OCD about leaving things on unattended.
x

well, if you cooked with no liquid yesterday I would think in that case it would be ok.....I didn't know you could.

Just in it, I put the veg in first and then the chicken on top. With the pork I ended up with about an inch of juice in the bottom so it cooked in that. The pork was delicious and just fell apart when trying to cook it.

I shall let you know the outcome of the chicken when I get home. Hopefully all will be well. x

Yep I'll be home about 6ish. Nope havent put any water in it, wasnt sure if i needed to or not (the panic is coming back). I cooked a pork joint with veg and potatoes yesterday with no water in and it was fine (I was home all day so didnt have to worry), so assumed I wouldnt have to worry today but I'm a bit OCD about leaving things on unattended.
x

I am qutie OCD about a lot of things but i have left my slow cooker on all day before while not being in the house, but i always but water in! did not know you could cook without!!??

Oh my god, I am so worried my house is on fire!!!!!!! PANIC!!! Maybe I'll have to take a long early lunch and go check it. I am such a numpty sometimes. xx

o dear im sure it will be fine!! do you have any relatives or friends that could check?? i only live 5 mins away from work so when i have a panic about something i can just nip out!

Thanks Suepat10 for the reassurance, in the back of my mind I'm sure it will be ok, but all reasoning goes out of the window when i get something in my head lol!

Mrs2be unfortunatley nobody has a key except me and my partner who is working away at the moment. I live on a main road so surely if it's on fire someone i know will pass soon enough and ring me lol.
x

Bless you, no need to worry......

All you will have when you get home is a house full of lovely cooking smells and a gorgeous hot meal for you to enjoy.

Enjoy your slow cooker.

Thanks Suepat10 for the reassurance, in the back of my mind I'm sure it will be ok, but all reasoning goes out of the window when i get something in my head lol!

Mrs2be unfortunatley nobody has a key except me and my partner who is working away at the moment. I live on a main road so surely if it's on fire someone i know will pass soon enough and ring me lol.
x

lol!! hope the house is still there when you get back and the meal is nice after the panic!!

I am qutie OCD about a lot of things but i have left my slow cooker on all day before while not being in the house, but i always but water in! did not know you could cook without!!??

Ditto! i know joints release a lot of juice/liquid, but not sure about chicken!

If the meal is ruined I wont mind at all, as i said still learning with the slow cooker, as long as the house is still there then I wont mind. I'm looking for a recipe that I can leave tomorrow without the panic, I'm thinking a stew of some sort, would that be ok left? x

Beef brisket is delicious cooked in the slow cooker. Before I joined SW I used to add wine and a little stock, now I just add stock so that it's about a 1/4 of the way up the meat and chopped up veg. I cook it for 8 hours on low and the meat falls apart. It's also a good value cut and you get lots for your money.
Hope you chicken turns out ok xx

Thank you, I'll pick some brisket up on the way home and try that for tomorrow with some veg. I've never had brisket before so that will be something new for me to try.
I hope the chicken and the house are ok too :)

Back