SLOW COOKER RECIPES

Can anyone help on the Jamie Oliver chilli do you use the same amount of stock n liquid as recipe states as I find sometimes in slow cooker it's very liquidy! Any tips appreciated!! X

I used the amount of stock suggested for this recipe and it was very liquidy, I took the lid of and put it on high for the last hour which helped but i'm making this again next week and intend to only use half the amount of stock in it. x

Cool thanks how long did you have it in slow cooker for and what setting? X

I had it in for 7 hours, 7 on low and then an hour at the end on high with the lid off but when i try it with less stock i'll probably just do 8 hours on low. x

The slow cooker is great for soups like broth, lentil, rice pudding using milk from hexb, bolognese, chilli, stews, casseroles (chicken or sausage) roasts and whole chickens.

I have a recipe for Tamarind chilli chicken which is lovely. It's 2½ syns but I think it's worth it.

Serves 4

8 pieces of skinless chicken
Frylight
1 onion chopped
1 red pepper chopped
1 red chilli chopped
2 garlic cloves chopped
1 tablespoon tamarind paste
1 tablespoon sweetner
1 teaspoon ground tumeric
2 tablespoons plain flour
450ml chicken stock made with chicken bovril
salt & pepper
Coriander to serve
Spray frying pan with frylight and brown chicken to seal. Once brown remove. Add onion to pan & fry till lightly browned. Add red pepper chilli & garlic cook for 2 mins. Mix in tamarind, sweetner & tumeric. Cook for another minute then mix in flour. Gradually add stock and season to taste. Bring to boil. Put chicken into slow cooker and add sauce. Cover & cook on low for 8-10 hours (if chicken has bones) or 5-6 if breasts. Serve with coriander. Yummmmmm.

Tamarind can be found where the herbs and spices are.

Thanks Hazykay for posting this recipe, just made it - gorgeous, will be making again soon.

i cooked a gammon joint in diet coke it was lush

not sure they might go tough and chewy unless you do them for just until they cooked

just found this on line place a pineapple ring on each steak then wrap in foil. cook in the oven on a low heat.

Slow Cooker Sausage & Beans..................

Pete’s Slow-Cooker Sausage & Beans-2

Serves 4

Ingredients

4 Sainsbury’s “Be good to yourself” extra lean
Cumberland Sausage (0.5 syn each)
4 Sainsbury’s spicy & succulent mini Chorizo’s (2 syns each)
400g Baked Beans
400g Cannellini Beans, rinse in hot water
400g Chick Peas, rinse in hot water
400g Chopped Tomato’s
500mL Knorr Rich Beef Stock-Pot Stock
1 large onion
4 slices smoked bacon, finely cut into strips
1tsp paprika
1 chilli, deseeded and chopped finely
Splash of light soy sauce
Splash of Worcester sauce
1tbsp Tomato Puree

Method

Spray a frying pan with Fry Light and cook the onion, chilli, sausages & bacon until cooked.

Switch the Slow-Pot to “high” and add the beans, add the Worcester sauce, soy sauce, thyme, paprika & 500mL of the stock.

Cut the sausage into 16 pieces and the Chorizo’s into 8 pieces, add to the
Stock-Pot with the other frying pan ingredients.

Bring to a boil and add extra stock if required, to cover the ingredients and then turn the heat to ”low”
Served with noodles & salad.

SlowCookerSausageBeansSmall.jpg

SlowCookerSausageBeans-2Small.jpg

Fridays Dinner.............

Pete’s Beef Stroganoff
Serves 4
Ingredients
400g Sainsbury’s extra lean casserole steak, sliced into strips
2 onions, sliced (s)
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
150g button mushrooms (s)
1tsp paprika
1tbsp Worcester sauce
1 Knorr herb stock pot
1 Knorr beef stock pot made into 250g stock
1 pack of Schultz garlic, mushroom & cream sauce (4.5 syn/4=1.125 syns each)
350mL skimmed milk (3syn/4=0.75 syn each)
300g long grain rice
1 chilli, finely chopped & de-seeded (s)

Method

Place the beef into the freezer for 30-45 mins to stiffen it, remove & slice into thin strips, cook dry in a frying pan until browned, remove & set aside.

Spray the frying pan with Fry Light and sweat the onions, chilli & garlic, add the button mushrooms & cook for a few minutes, add the Knorr Herb stock pot, mix well until the herbs are infused.

Add the beef, mix well, and add beef stock. Make up the sauce mix as per the instructions on the packet and when it starts to thicken, add to the beef & mushrooms, mix well add the paprika, (At this point you could place ingredients in a slow cooker and leave to slow cook.) seasoning & cook for 20-30 mins.

Measure the amount of rice required, add 3 times the amount of water, add rice & cook for 20 mins, or until the water has gone, removed when cooked, place in a sieve & place the sieve on the saucepan and cover with a lid, allow to steam for a few minutes, until the beef is ready.

Serve on a bed of rice.

BeefStroganoffSmall.jpg

Thanks everyone - there are some great ideas on here! :)

Back