SLOW COOKER RECIPES

Hi All, I've got a slow cooker collecting dust in the cupboard and have decided to get it out inspired by this thread. Just a couple of questions:

1) do you always have to brown off mince / cook onions before you put in slow cooker? If so can you do this night before and throw it in with all the other stuff?

2) are slow cookers safe? I'm a bit weary having an electric item switched on all day whilst I'm out of the house.

3) Id have to switch slower cooker on at 8am and if I want tea at 6pm this would mean its cooking for 10 hours which is too long for some recipes. Does anyone use an electric timer to switch the slower cooker on/off?

Hi

I don't brown stuff but I know you should brown mince as I once made a chilli & it was all grainy if that makes sense normally just stick to stews or joints of meats but you can do pretty much anything in a slow cooker

Yup they are fine. Mine has a timer that goes into warm mode after a certain time say after 8 hours but you could use a electric timer I guess

HTH

Ooo pulled brisket chilli sounds nice, do you have a recipe? X

Jamie Oliver - Magazine

The tortillas and guacamole are not free, the beef bit is. I never made it, the Jamie recipe that is. I just slow cooked the silverside on a bed of celery, carrot, onoin and garlic. Added beef stock and a small amount of red wine (between four dinners and sandwiches the next day this was tiny syns) it was amazingly tasty and succulent, could have shredded it it was so soft.

I've got some diced pork in the freezer that I need to use up so was thinking of chucking it in the slow cooker this week. Any tried and tested recipes anyone can recommend?

Oh the choice !!!!

I lovemy slowcooker and am loving trawling through the recipes on this thread, going to try the minty lamb balls and petes ghoulash as well as the Jamie O brisket chilli....thanks guys

I thought i would share one of my favourite curry recipes, free on green and extra easy
Potato and Chick Pea Curry

1 tablespoon garlic puree
1 tablespoon ginger puree
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon paprika
1 tablespoon ground coriander
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon of black pepper
1 teaspoon of garam masala
1 teaspoon turmeric
¼ teaspoon chilli powder
1lb sliced onions
400g chopped tomatoes
2 cans chick peas (drained)
500g diced potatoes
300g frozen spinach (thawed)

Put everything except the spinach in the slowcooker and cook on low for 5hrs add the spinach and cook for another hour

Got a spag bol in mine today :) house smells yummy

thank you to everyone who has posted their recipes on here, i will be trying them out as i have just bought a little slow cooker just big enough to cook for myself and my other half. xx

Slow Cooker Beef Curry

Haven't used the slow cooker for a little while. Trying out the beef curry for tonight.
Thanks to all for the lovely recipes on this site, will be giving them a go.:D

I made a sausage caserole yesterday and it was delicious! Here's my recipe -

1 onion sliced (did mine in 1/2 moons)
6 Sausages (I used veggie ones that came in 6's)
3 chopped carrots
tin of tomatoes
tin of butter beans (or any beans)
500ml beef stock (made with oxo or bovril)
1 tbs tomato puree
couple dashes worcester sauce
2 tsp dried sage

Brown the onions in frylight and grill the sauasages.
When the onions have some colour (helps with flavour) add the carrots, tomatoes, stock, worcester sauce and sage. Bring to a simmer then pour into slow cooker.
Pop in the sausages and cook on medium for 4-5 hours.
Stir in the butter beans and cook for another hour.

I do green days and this is free appart from any syns for the sauages.

Back