SLOW COOKER RECIPES

I've never actually done it, but I would assume it's done the same way as in the oven?? Prick all over with a fork, rub in salt and frylight and cook... Maybe wrap in foil to keep from burning? I think that unless someone replies who's tried it, just go for it and see how it works out :)

Laura94B said:
I've never actually done it, but I would assume it's done the same way as in the oven?? Prick all over with a fork, rub in salt and frylight and cook... Maybe wrap in foil to keep from burning? I think that unless someone replies who's tried it, just go for it and see how it works out :)

Thankyou x

Sent from my galaxy s2 using MiniMins app

Hi Everyone, Does anyone have a good recipie to cook for a sunday lunch? I have a couple of friends comming to vist and want to make something hearty and nice, and preferably syn free!

I have got my slow cooker on right now and I am making the Hairy Bikers Cassoulet from their recent series the hairy dieters and this is syn free if you don't use wine or sugar and use fry light rather than oil and the smells coming from my kitchen right now are making my mouth water :)

I have the cook book so don't have a link but the recipe is most likely on the BBC website

I made a sausage caserole yesterday and it was delicious! Here's my recipe -

1 onion sliced (did mine in 1/2 moons)
6 Sausages (I used veggie ones that came in 6's)
3 chopped carrots
tin of tomatoes
tin of butter beans (or any beans)
500ml beef stock (made with oxo or bovril)
1 tbs tomato puree
couple dashes worcester sauce
2 tsp dried sage

Brown the onions in frylight and grill the sauasages.
When the onions have some colour (helps with flavour) add the carrots, tomatoes, stock, worcester sauce and sage. Bring to a simmer then pour into slow cooker.
Pop in the sausages and cook on medium for 4-5 hours.
Stir in the butter beans and cook for another hour.

I do green days and this is free appart from any syns for the sauages.

I used this recipie yesterday for sunday lunch with some freinds and they loved it. I didn't have all the ingrdients so used Tobasco instead of Worcester sauce and used vegetable seasoning as I didn't have any sage, used tomatoe puree and 2 veg stock cubes. It was lovely and my friends readlly loved it too! thanks for the suggestions its so helpful!

My favee slow cooker recipe of all time is a sausage casserole I found on a slimming world blog and to make it even better, it's only 1 syn per serving! :D
1 large onion
1 large carrot
2 cloves of garlic
1 small sweet potato
8 low fat sausages, chopped up (I use Tesco Light choices sausages)
1 red pepper, chopped
400ml of passata
100ml of chicken stock
frozen peas
splash of Worcestershire sauce

I cut up my sausages and fry them with a bit of Frylight with the onions and garlic. I then transfer it all to the slow cooker, and add the chopped peppers, sweet potato, carrots and the cooked sausages and onion! I smother it with the passata, chicken stock and a splash of Worcestershire sauce and cook it on low for the whole day! Before serving, I chuck in the peas and let them cook for 5 mins, then serve it up on it's own or with some home made mash!

An absolute fav in my household - If i'm feeling naughty, i'll chuck in some chorizo and add the syns depending how much I add! (usually about 3 syns per serving)

*Emsie* said:
Did you try them what did you think? I did them a while back, they were nice but not sure its worth doing them that way as takes a long time x

Yes they did work but not as crispy skin as in the oven. Works for us as we're out most days :)

StephieJayne said:
My favee slow cooker recipe of all time is a sausage casserole I found on a slimming world blog and to make it even better, it's only 1 syn per serving! :D
1 large onion
1 large carrot
2 cloves of garlic
1 small sweet potato
8 low fat sausages, chopped up (I use Tesco Light choices sausages)
1 red pepper, chopped
400ml of passata
100ml of chicken stock
frozen peas
splash of Worcestershire sauce

I cut up my sausages and fry them with a bit of Frylight with the onions and garlic. I then transfer it all to the slow cooker, and add the chopped peppers, sweet potato, carrots and the cooked sausages and onion! I smother it with the passata, chicken stock and a splash of Worcestershire sauce and cook it on low for the whole day! Before serving, I chuck in the peas and let them cook for 5 mins, then serve it up on it's own or with some home made mash!

An absolute fav in my household - If i'm feeling naughty, i'll chuck in some chorizo and add the syns depending how much I add! (usually about 3 syns per serving)

How many servings did this make?

yummymummie83 said:
How many servings did this make?

Well me and my partner have two huge servings with a tiny bit left! :) xxx

slow cookers r the best, and so easy to do so many recipes in.
my fave is italian chicken & chunky veg.

skinless and boneless chicken cut into bitesize peices
-2 cans of chopped tomatoes or jar of passata
loads of chopped potato
loads of mushrooms
loads of sweet potato
(and whatever other veg u like)
2-3 oz water
knorr chicken stock
italian herbs

brown off chicken, chuck it all in and leave to cook all day, tastes so nice and rreally fills u up loads.

xx

Is that stock the jelly one?

Fridays Dinner.............

Pete’s Beef Stroganoff
Serves 4
Ingredients
400g Sainsbury’s extra lean casserole steak, sliced into strips
2 onions, sliced (s)
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
150g button mushrooms (s)
1tsp paprika
1tbsp Worcester sauce
1 Knorr herb stock pot
1 Knorr beef stock pot made into 250g stock
1 pack of Schultz garlic, mushroom & cream sauce (4.5 syn/4=1.125 syns each)
350mL skimmed milk (3syn/4=0.75 syn each)
300g long grain rice
1 chilli, finely chopped & de-seeded (s)

Method

Place the beef into the freezer for 30-45 mins to stiffen it, remove & slice into thin strips, cook dry in a frying pan until browned, remove & set aside.

Spray the frying pan with Fry Light and sweat the onions, chilli & garlic, add the button mushrooms & cook for a few minutes, add the Knorr Herb stock pot, mix well until the herbs are infused.

Add the beef, mix well, and add beef stock. Make up the sauce mix as per the instructions on the packet and when it starts to thicken, add to the beef & mushrooms, mix well add the paprika, (At this point you could place ingredients in a slow cooker and leave to slow cook.) seasoning & cook for 20-30 mins.

Measure the amount of rice required, add 3 times the amount of water, add rice & cook for 20 mins, or until the water has gone, removed when cooked, place in a sieve & place the sieve on the saucepan and cover with a lid, allow to steam for a few minutes, until the beef is ready.

Serve on a bed of rice.

BeefStroganoffSmall.jpg
Just making this and if it tastes half as nice as it smells I'll be happy!

lovely recipe!!

I don't know if this type of recipe has already been posted but here goes.

Leg of turkey.
Take off the skin and all visible fat from the leg.
In the slow cooker, put a couple sliced carrots, a few shallots or sliced onion, a few whole peeled garlic cloves. Top with the leg. in a pan, make up some chicken stock and add some white wine. Pour over the leg and cook on high for 5 hours or so.
Serve with a mash and masses of green veg. This would have served 6 people so really economical.
I made the left-overs into soup with leeks, a small squash and stock.

Patchninja said:
I don't know if this type of recipe has already been posted but here goes.

Leg of turkey.
Take off the skin and all visible fat from the leg.
In the slow cooker, put a couple sliced carrots, a few shallots or sliced onion, a few whole peeled garlic cloves. Top with the leg. in a pan, make up some chicken stock and add some white wine. Pour over the leg and cook on high for 5 hours or so.
Serve with a mash and masses of green veg. This would have served 6 people so really economical.
I made the left-overs into soup with leeks, a small squash and stock.

Sounds lovely!

I just posted this on another thread I am on and thought I'd share it here too as I always make this in my slow cooker and it's so nice, I'd love to take the credit for it but the Hairy Bikers and their diet show gave me the idea :)

Almost Syn Free Cassoulet

Serves 6-8 (only syns in sausages unless you use wine, sorry don't have the syns for the wine)

Ingredients

Fry Light
6 sausages, WW or Sainsburys BGTY cumberland are all 1/2 syn each
4 celery sticks
3 carrots
2 onions, halved and sliced
6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 450g/1lb)
2 garlic cloves, crushed
200g/7oz piece smoked lean gammon, trimmed and cut into 2cm/1in cubes
2 x 400g/14oz cans chopped tomatoes
150ml/5fl oz of red wine or water (I used water to keep it syn free!!)
1 tbsp sweetener
1 tsp dried chilli flakes
1 Bay Leaf
4-5 bushy sprigs fresh thyme (I used dry as I had it in)
400g/14oz can cannellini beans in water, drained and rinsed
400g/14oz can butter beans in water, drained and rinsed
freshly ground black pepper

Preparation method

• Spray a large non-stick frying pan with the fry light. Add the sausages to the pan and cook over a medium heat for 10 minutes, turning every now and then until nicely browned on all sides.
  • Meanwhile, trim the celery and peel the carrots and cut them into slices about 1.5cm/½in thick.
  • Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
  • Add the onions to the frying pan and cook with the sausages for 6-8 minutes, stirring regularly until softened and lightly browned.
  • Trim the chicken thighs of any visible fat then cut the thighs in half.
  • Add the garlic and chicken pieces to the pan with the sausages and onions and cook for 3-4 minutes, turning the chicken twice until coloured all over.
  • Transfer everything to a large casserole dish.
  • Stir in the gammon, celery, carrots, tomatoes, red wine (or water) and 300ml/½ pint cold water, then sprinkle over the sweetener and chilli flakes. Stir in the bay leaf and thyme and season with ground black pepper.
  • Then cover with a lid and transfer to the oven. Cook for 55 minutes.
  • Take the casserole out of the oven and stir in all the beans. Cover with the lid again and put the dish back in the oven for another 30 minutes.
  • Once cooked remove the bay leaf.
  • Serve large portions of the cassoulet in deep plates or wide bowls

**** I make this in my slow cooker, I prepare everything in the same way except I put the beans in at the same time as the gammon, celery section etc so I can just leave it. If you cook this in a slow cooker only use half the liquid mentioned as it won't evaporate and make sure it's boiling too or it'll not heat or take extra-long to cook, I'd also boil the water before putting it in the oven if this was being oven cooked****

Last edited:
Does anyone know if a multi cooker is the same as a slow cooker? Me and my boyf moved in together recently, his nan gave me a multi cooker and I have no idea what to do with it or whether it's the same as a slow cooker! Thanks x

As far as I know they can do everything from slow cook, roasting things, frying etc :S So if you work out HOW to use it then you can use it as a slow cooker :p

Also, here is a new slow cooker recipe for everyone - I think it tastes amazing! (If I do say so myself haha!)

A Moroccan Slow Cooker Miracle! | The Ramblings of a Mad Woman

Back