SLOW COOKER RECIPES

Do you all here recommend slow cookers or will a crock pot in the oven on low heat do ?

My favee slow cooker recipe of all time is a sausage casserole I found on a slimming world blog and to make it even better, it's only 1 syn per serving! :D
1 large onion
1 large carrot
2 cloves of garlic
1 small sweet potato
8 low fat sausages, chopped up (I use Tesco Light choices sausages)
1 red pepper, chopped
400ml of passata
100ml of chicken stock
frozen peas
splash of Worcestershire sauce

I cut up my sausages and fry them with a bit of Frylight with the onions and garlic. I then transfer it all to the slow cooker, and add the chopped peppers, sweet potato, carrots and the cooked sausages and onion! I smother it with the passata, chicken stock and a splash of Worcestershire sauce and cook it on low for the whole day! Before serving, I chuck in the peas and let them cook for 5 mins, then serve it up on it's own or with some home made mash!

An absolute fav in my household - If i'm feeling naughty, i'll chuck in some chorizo and add the syns depending how much I add! (usually about 3 syns per serving)

Sounds really lovely - I am a big fan of slow cooking, although I find that sometimes you end up virtually cooking the meal (like the pre-frying) before you put it in the slow cooker! I know leaving it for the day allows the flavours to develop though. I also always have a lot of liquid at the end which I can never seem to thicken up - do you ever put cornflour in?

Sounds really lovely - I am a big fan of slow cooking, although I find that sometimes you end up virtually cooking the meal (like the pre-frying) before you put it in the slow cooker! I know leaving it for the day allows the flavours to develop though. I also always have a lot of liquid at the end which I can never seem to thicken up - do you ever put cornflour in?

Most slow cookers do this weird thing where they manage to like double the amount of liquid you put in haha! I usually put about half of what I think looks right, and it's perfect when it's done :) I've seen some people use smash powder to thicken it, or to take out some of the veg/pulses and blitz it, pour it back in and that helps thicken it :)

Oh that looks really nice. How many syns in the granules, and which ones did you use. I get confused with what the lifeline online says. It comes up the ones with meat juices more syns, but then talks about the "Best" bisto ones being less syns, but in Asda the "Best" ones are made with meat juices.:confused:

Do you all here recommend slow cookers or will a crock pot in the oven on low heat do ?

Ditto!

i dont have one but have asked for one for xmas so don't want to go and buy one. i do have a cast iron crock pot, would this work the same if on a low heat in the oven? If so what temp should it be please?

hey all...
can someone help me iv got chicken breasts butternut squash spuds carrots parsnips onions and im sure i can go to the shop to get other bits but iv no idea how to use my brand new slow cooker i dont want to poision us all lol can anyone whip something up from these ingredients thanks xx

Easy one pot casserole leave breasts as they are chop up that veg n bung it all in pot season it then add some stock thickened slightly with some gravy granules just enough to cover ur veggies add some herbs eg thyme then leave for a few hrs

I've just been looking through my Hamlyn all colour cookbook 200 slow cooker recipes that I got the other day and it's amazing! I'd definitely recommend you buy it if you have a slow cooker - I'm going to tweak some meals and try them out soon - watch this space! :)

Gammon joint was really nice, so tender and moist. Had steamed potatoes, leeks and fine beans with it cooked in my new steamer. YUMMY

Beef casserole next me thinks!

Hi there can you confirm the setting and length of time you need to cook a gammon joint?? I intend to try one tomorrow for lunch! Mmmmm

Donte x

jojogonnabeslim said:
Easy one pot casserole leave breasts as they are chop up that veg n bung it all in pot season it then add some stock thickened slightly with some gravy granules just enough to cover ur veggies add some herbs eg thyme then leave for a few hrs

Did this tonight, was delish.. Better than the jars I used before and hardly any syns :)

Well I have had my slow cooker since Friday last week and today is the first day I haven't used it for something... It is amazing! I am going to be slow cooking a beef casserole tomorrow so its ready for after my weigh in at 7.30pm Mmmmm I cant wait!
The whole family love it to! Bonus...

Donte x

I love my slow cooker, I slow cooked a joint of beef recently, it was soo tender I barely had to cut it!

I used beef stock, onions and garlic. Then added dry roasted potatoes & parsnips, with carrots, brocolli and cauliflower! Delicious!

I added a little bit of bisto gravy (1.5 syns per 100ml) and that was it!

Great thread, I got myself a slow cooker from tescos, on offer at £10. I bought it make the dophinoir potatoes that are in the extra easy cookbook, and I loved it.

I always cook a joint of ham or bacon in the SC I tend to soak ham over night ( as is can be salty if you don't)at the same time I soak half a pkt of red lentils
Then in am I just chop an onion and rinse lentils and ham and place all in SC season salt pepper and garlic granules and Voila a lovely cooked ham and a wholesome free tasty soup all in one go !

The slow cooker is great for soups like broth, lentil, rice pudding using milk from hexb, bolognese, chilli, stews, casseroles (chicken or sausage) roasts and whole chickens.

I have a recipe for Tamarind chilli chicken which is lovely. It's 2½ syns but I think it's worth it.

Serves 4

8 pieces of skinless chicken
Frylight
1 onion chopped
1 red pepper chopped
1 red chilli chopped
2 garlic cloves chopped
1 tablespoon tamarind paste
1 tablespoon sweetner
1 teaspoon ground tumeric
2 tablespoons plain flour
450ml chicken stock made with chicken bovril
salt & pepper
Coriander to serve
Spray frying pan with frylight and brown chicken to seal. Once brown remove. Add onion to pan & fry till lightly browned. Add red pepper chilli & garlic cook for 2 mins. Mix in tamarind, sweetner & tumeric. Cook for another minute then mix in flour. Gradually add stock and season to taste. Bring to boil. Put chicken into slow cooker and add sauce. Cover & cook on low for 8-10 hours (if chicken has bones) or 5-6 if breasts. Serve with coriander. Yummmmmm.

Tamarind can be found where the herbs and spices are.

Going to cook this at weekend :)

Back