SLOW COOKER RECIPES

my slow cooker will be out again this weekend. during the week i made a stew overnight so my kitchen smelled yummy when i woke up.

this weekend i am planning to make a three bean chilli in it. i have never done this before so will have to look around for a recipe.

I think it seals the meat and tastes better. I cannot stomach the thought of not browning first, just turns my stomach throwing raw meat in liquid, but I'm weird lol.

I always brown my meat first ... i am a bit like you huni, I couldnt face it if it wasnt browned first. Really stomach churning !!!
x

I always brown my meat first ... i am a bit like you huni, I couldnt face it if it wasnt browned first. Really stomach churning !!! x

Glad I'm not alone!

Today I've thrown in browned first, 190 g beef mince, carrots, onions, swede, potatoes, beef stock, salt pepper, tsp tamarind paste because I've never used it and don't really know what I'm doing with it lol. It's made a nice thick stew anyway, on a green day.

I don't bother with the browning, I jsut stuff everything in my slow cooker, not had a disaster yet! :)

No, I don't brown the meat off anymore either. I always used to, until a chef friend of mine asked why I bothered! :S Still, I thought, if he doesn't bother, maybe I should give it a go. I was very dubious but, I really can't tell any difference - it's just quicker and easier. It's whatever you're OK with really.

Kathy

BEEF CURRY - Serves 4-6

Syn Free

800g braising steak, cut into bite sized pieces
2 onions, finely chopped
4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
2 green or red chillies, with or without seeds, finely chopped
2.5cm/1 inch piece of fresh root ginger, peeled and grated
4 tsp ground cumin
4 tsp ground coriander
2 tsp ground turmeric
2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
2 tsp garam masala
200g FF natural yoghurt
Small handful of chopped coriander

Tip everything into the slow cooker, except the garam masala, yoghurt and coriander. When the chopped tomatoes have been added, half fill one of the empty cans with water and tip that into the slow cooker too. Stir everything together and press all the ingredients down so they are covered by the liquid.
Cook on Low for 8-10 hours.
About 30 minutes before the end of cooking, stir in the garam masala and yoghurt. Cook for a further 30 minutes.
If the curry isn't quite thick enough, transfer the mixture to a large pan and boil rapidly on the hob until the desired consistency is reached.
Stir in the fresh coriander just prior to serving.

Last edited:
BEEF CURRY - Serves 4-6

Syn Free

800g braising steak, cut into bite sized pieces
2 onions, finely chopped
4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
2 green or red chillies, with or without seeds, finely chopped
2.5cm/1 inch piece of fresh root ginger, peeled and grated
4 tsp ground cumin
4 tsp ground coriander
2 tsp ground turmeric
2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
2 tsp garam masala
200g FF natural yoghurt
Small handful of chopped coriander

Tip everything into the slow cooker, except the garam masala, yoghurt and coriander. When the chopped tomatoes have been added, half fill one of the empty cans with water and tip that into the slow cooker too. Stir everything together and press all the ingredients down so they are covered by the liquid.
Cook on Low for 8-10 hours.
About 30 minutes before the end of cooking, stir in the garam masala and yoghurt. Cook for a further 30 minutes.
If the curry isn't quite thick enough, transfer the mixture to a large pan and boil rapidly on the hob until the desired consistency is reached.
Stir in the fresh coriander just prior to serving.

This sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing. I'm going to try it tomorrow :)

Chinese pork - slow cooker recipe 7 syns in total. Serves two

2 large pork chops
2 tablespoons brown sugar (4 syns)
1/2 teaspoon Chinese 5 spice
4 tablespoons soy sauce
1 clove of garlic (chopped)
One Mugful chicken stock
Salt and pepper to taste
3 tablespoons ketchup (3 syns)

Place the pork chops in the bottom of the slow cooker. Mix the rest of the ingredients in a jug and pour over the chops. Cook on low for 6 or 7 hours. Voila!!

It's so easy and really really tasty. This amount of ingredients makes plenty of sauce (which I like). I served it with noodles and made sort of a pork and noodle broth with it but it would also be lovely with mash as a kind of gravy, SW egg fried rice or a full stir fry.
Sparty, that sounds good, going to have to give it go, thank you for posting it x

Hi 'Toliveordiet' - can i ask when you do a roast or a chicken in the slow cooker - do you need to put any 'moisture/ water' in there too - or coat the joint with anything - or will it just cook like that on its own? Im not the best cook - and like slow cooker recipes with the least ingredients and preparation time!

Sorry to butt in on this conversation but I cooked a joint of brisket a few weeks ago in my slow cooker and was assured by the butcher I didn't need to add even a tablespoon of liquid to it. He said it would taste amazing because it'd just be cooking in its own juices. I was a bit dubious at first so made sure I stayed in on the day I attempted it. He was totally right! All I did was scrunch up two balls of foil, put them in the base of the slow cooker, season the joint and sit it on top of the foil to raise it off the bottom of the cooker (you might not even need to do this). It was the tastiest joint I have ever had and it just fell apart so, having said that, I would presume it would be the same for a whole chicken.
Good luck, whatever you decide.

Kathy x

Ooh thanks for that Kathy, i need to get more confident with my slow cooker so might try a roast of somekind now. I was a bit like you the first few times ive used it - in case it dried out/ set of fire or something i would only put it on when i was in the house lol!

Sorry to butt in on this conversation but I cooked a joint of brisket a few weeks ago in my slow cooker and was assured by the butcher I didn't need to add even a tablespoon of liquid to it. He said it would taste amazing because it'd just be cooking in its own juices. I was a bit dubious at first so made sure I stayed in on the day I attempted it. He was totally right! All I did was scrunch up two balls of foil, put them in the base of the slow cooker, season the joint and sit it on top of the foil to raise it off the bottom of the cooker (you might not even need to do this). It was the tastiest joint I have ever had and it just fell apart so, having said that, I would presume it would be the same for a whole chicken.
Good luck, whatever you decide.

Kathy x

The other thing that is lovely and does not need liquid is shoulder of pork. You get a really decent roast pork meal for little money. I always use mine for beef. I live in Spain and silverside and topside is sold as braising steak so I buy a big piece and do as above. It is now the only way we buy or eat roast beef. Nothing needs liquid but sometimes I sit meat on a halved onion, for the gravy more than anything else.

Cooked my first 'roast chicken' in the slow cooker this week - it worked out great - sat it on four foil scrunched up balls as suggested and just left if while i was out at work (about 11 hours actually in all) it was lovely when i got back - moist inside but the skin still went crispy -which was a pleasant surprise - thanks for the suggestion!

MARRAKESH LAMB - Serves 4

Syns - negligible

500g cubed lamb, all visible fat removed any lean cut will do. Ask the butcher for advice and he'll even dice it for you too! :)
Half a teaspoon of black pepper
1 teaspoon each of ground cumin, coriander, ginger, turmeric, paprika and cinnamon
2 x 400g cans of chopped tomatoes
75g red split lentils
1 litre of hot lamb stock
2 onions, chopped
1 teaspoon of brown sugar - 1 Syn
5 cloves of garlic, crushed

Combine all the ingredients in the slow cooker, cover and leave to cook for 6 hours on Low.
Check the lamb is tender and cooked through.
If it needs thickening up a little, leave to cook for a further 45 minutes, with the lid off or transfer to a large pan and simmer rapidly on the hob, stirring until the desired consistency is reached.

This is delicious served with a dollop of FF Greek yoghurt and, if you're really hungry, with some Syn Free couscous on the side.

ITALIAN MEATBALLS - Serves 5

1 Syn per serving

650g extra lean minced beef
1 slice of wholemeal bread, whizzed into breadcrumbs - 6 Syns
Half an onion, finely chopped
Handful of fresh parsley, finely chopped
1 large egg
1 clove of garlic, crushed
Half a teaspoon of salt
2 x 400g chopped tomatoes
2 tbsp. tomato puree
250ml hot beef stock
1 teaspoon each of dried basil, oregano and thyme

Combine together the beef, breadcrumbs, egg, onion, garlic and half the salt. Use your hands or a food blender.
Once properly mixed, use your hands to shape 20-24 meatballs.
Put in the base of the slow cooker, mix all the other ingredients together and pour these over the meatballs.
Cook on Low for 5-6 hours or on High for 3-4 hours.
Ensure the beef is thoroughly cooked through.

Good served with whole-wheat spaghetti, with a HEX portion of grated cheese served over the top.

Sometimes I add a splash of Worcestershire Sauce or a teaspoon of Marmite to the ingredients but it is also fine as it is.

CHICKPEA TAGINE - Serves 4

Approx. 2 Syns per serving

400g can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1 red pepper, deseeded and thickly sliced
1 onion, chopped
1 small BNS, peeled, deseeded and cut into bite-size chunks
2 courgettes, cut into bite-size chunks
50g dried apricots - 5 Syns
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
2 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. ground ginger
1 tsp. ground cumin
500g passata
2 level tsp. runny honey - 2 Syns
1 tsp. harissa paste - 0.5 Syns
Handful of fresh mint or coriander

Place the chickpeas, pepper, onion, squash, courgettes and dried apricots into the slow cooker and season with salt and black pepper.
Spray a frying pan well with Frylight and cook the garlic and spices for one minute.
Add the passata, honey and harissa and heat for a couple of minutes, stirring continuously.
Pour over the vegetables in the slow cooker, stir and cook for 4 hours on High or 6 hours on Low.
Check the seasoning and then tear in most of the mint or coriander, stirring everything together.
Serve on warmed plates with a dollop of FF Greek yoghurt and the remaining mint or coriander on top.

Lovely served with couscous.

Back