SLOW COOKER RECIPES

3.5l slow cookers £13.99 at Lidl from Monday. Just sayin'. :)

subscribing :) I seen slow cookers on offer in Tesco this morning but didn't get one as I was unsure of what to cook in it but this thread has given me loads of ideas :)

One of our favourite recipes to do in the slow cooker is lasagna!
Everyone loves it. I make up a batch of syn free bolognese, layer it into the slow cooker pot starting with a layer of the bolognese, then a layer of pasta and so on.

If we have syns to use up I sometimes put white/bechamel sauce on the top but quite often leave it off.

The top doesn't brown like it would in the oven but the lasagna is so tasty! I put it on for around 3 hours on high or 5 on low.

wow, this thread as really made my mouth water. as a new slimmer and not a very adventurous cook it as been really helpful.
i do have a couple of questions though if anyone can help
1) cooking a chicken in the slow cooker, does that not count as syns with the skin?
and also i prefer my casseroles etc with mash but use my daily milk allowance for coffee, is there any syn free ways to make my mash creamy?
thank you xx

wow, this thread as really made my mouth water. as a new slimmer and not a very adventurous cook it as been really helpful.
1) cooking a chicken in the slow cooker, does that not count as syns with the skin?
and also i prefer my casseroles etc with mash but use my daily milk allowance for coffee, is there any syn free ways to make my mash creamy?
thank you xx

You can make lovely mash without milk or butter. But if you like you could syn a small amount of milk or save some from the day by switching to skimmed milk as you get 350 mls. Not sure if that helps u or not. The skin cannot be eaten on the chicken but u can still cook it with skin on. Chicken pieces and fillets are nice in slow cooker too and it saves u any bother removing skin etc. Im sorry if ive not been any help at all there lol x

thank you xx

You can use a little fat free yogurt, quark if you like it, or even a few sprays of the buttery fry light.

You can make lovely mash without milk or butter. But if you like you could syn a small amount of milk or save some from the day by switching to skimmed milk as you get 350 mls. Not sure if that helps u or not. The skin cannot be eaten on the chicken but u can still cook it with skin on. Chicken pieces and fillets are nice in slow cooker too and it saves u any bother removing skin etc. Im sorry if ive not been any help at all there lol x

thats fantastic, i dont eat the skin anyway so thats great and ill try the mash ty very much a great help :)

thank you xx

I don't like mash with Yogurt or Quark so another idea is a vegetable stock cube made up with water and add a little at a time.

Sorry to butt in on this conversation but I cooked a joint of brisket a few weeks ago in my slow cooker and was assured by the butcher I didn't need to add even a tablespoon of liquid to it. He said it would taste amazing because it'd just be cooking in its own juices. I was a bit dubious at first so made sure I stayed in on the day I attempted it. He was totally right! All I did was scrunch up two balls of foil, put them in the base of the slow cooker, season the joint and sit it on top of the foil to raise it off the bottom of the cooker (you might not even need to do this). It was the tastiest joint I have ever had and it just fell apart so, having said that, I would presume it would be the same for a whole chicken.
Good luck, whatever you decide.

Kathy x

This sounds delicious, might try this with a Pork joint to made Pulled pork

think i need a bigger slow cooker!

SMOKED PAPRIKA GOULASH - Serves 8

Syn Free

3 onions, sliced
3 large cloves of garlic, crushed
4 tbsp. smoked paprika
2 tsp. sea salt
1 tsp. ground black pepper
1.25kg extra lean stewing steak, cubed
175g tomato puree
350g dried egg pasta

Spray the dish of the slow cooker with Frylight, to make washing up easier.
Add in all the ingredients, plus 200ml water. Mix together.
Cook on High for 4-5 hours or, on Low, for 7-9 hours.
Towards the end of the cooking time, cook the pasta according to pack instructions and serve with the goulash on warmed plates.

If the goulash has too much liquid by the end of the cooking time, either stir in some blended cornflour to thicken (don't forget to Syn it) or I prefer to transfer the goulash to a large pan and boil rapidly, whilst stirring, on the hob until the desired thickness is reached.

i just found this -

Hi, I make a lot of curries and always use the following....

I frylight onions, garlic, chilli and ginger (if I have it) in 2tbsp garam masala, 1/2 tsp cumin, 1/2 tsp turmeric. Once softened add a tin of tomatoes and a tsp sweetner (if reqd) and simmer. This makes a great base for any meat or veg curry and if you like it smooth then you can whizz it up once cooked.
It's also lovely with some FF natural yoghurt stirred in at the end.
Also.... if you use a slow cooker, do the onions in the spices in the pan and then chuck everything in the slow cooker.
Love it!!!

this sounds amazing! Will definitely be trying it.

Seriously thinking about investing in a slow cooker tomorrow...some great ideas here :)

Back