SLOW COOKER RECIPES

Hi,

Does anyone know if I can add batchelors savoury rice to my slow cooked dish while it's cooking? If so, when should I add it if I usually takes 20mins to cook and should I add more liquid?

Thanks!!

Ok, I added the rice an hour before and it's perfect. The recipe has turned out perfectly, I just did some experimenting and it's worked so well it's in unbelievable!!!

CHINESE CHICKEN AND RICE

Syn Free on Extra Easy- serves 2-4

For the spice rub:
Mustard seeds crushed (could use mustard powder)
Hot chilli powder
Chinese 5 Spice
2 x garlic cloves crushed
Cumin
Turmeric

4 x chicken thigh fillets
2 x onions chopped into chunks
1 x red pepper
Mushrooms chopped in half (amount to your requirement)
1 sachet of batchelors Chinese savoury rice

Create a rub using the spices and the garlic and rub onto the chicken thigh fillets.

Place the chopped onion, pepper and mushrooms into the slow cooker and place the chicken thighs on top. Add 1.5 cups of water and place high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours.

About an hour before it's ready add the savoury rice to the remaining water.

This was absolutely delicious and easy (I made it while baby was napping!) and I will definitely be making it again!!!

That's sounds gorgeous! Must try that at the weekend. Always looking for new slow cooker recipes.

Thanks for all these recipes! I have a great slow cooker but being Miss Unadventurous I've only used it to do a whole chicken and a beef joint in. Will definitely be trying some of these x

Thanks for all these recipes! I have a great slow cooker but being Miss Unadventurous I've only used it to do a whole chicken and a beef joint in. Will definitely be trying some of these x

I'm also mis unadventurous but today I made the BBQ pulled pork with sweet potato wedges and. It's wonderful and relatively easy!!! I say go for it!!!

I have a Gammon joint I want to cook in my slow cooker but I'm not sure what to do with it, ideas? I could have sworn I saw one on here but I can't find it. Also will I need to sit it on foil balls as recommended with chickens?

I have a Gammon joint I want to cook in my slow cooker but I'm not sure what to do with it, ideas? I could have sworn I saw one on here but I can't find it. Also will I need to sit it on foil balls as recommended with chickens?

I was actually looking at a ham recipe in nov/dec mag yesterday so I've take a couple of photos for you- hopefully you can see them!!!

It's not specifically for the slow cooker but maybe you could adjust it and use the gammon instead of a ham?

Or I know there's a coca-cola recipe which is supposed to be good.

Not sure if that helps at all!

Attachments

• image-2608705515.jpg
    image-2608705515.jpg
    536.7 KB · Views: 308
  • image-540406211.jpg
    image-540406211.jpg
    458.6 KB · Views: 287
  • image-1519492236.jpg
    image-1519492236.jpg
    537.6 KB · Views: 292
This may be too late now, Babypodge but here goes anyway! :D For gammon I just put it straight into my slow cooker with no liquid whatsoever. I just stand it on four foil balls and cook for about 6-8 hours on Low or 4-5 on High, just adjusting it really to suit the size of the joint. Sometimes I smear it with mustard or honey (or both) and other times I leave it as it is. If I'm organised I soak it overnight in water to make it less salty or, if I haven't got time, I stick it in a large pan, cover it with water and bring to the boil for 5 minutes. When the joint has been in the water, just make sure you dry it properly before putting it in the slow cooker.

Hope that helps and that it's not too late! :)

Kathy

This may be too late now, Babypodge but here goes anyway! :D For gammon I just put it straight into my slow cooker with no liquid whatsoever. I just stand it on four foil balls and cook for about 6-8 hours on Low or 4-5 on High, just adjusting it really to suit the size of the joint. Sometimes I smear it with mustard or honey (or both) and other times I leave it as it is. If I'm organised I soak it overnight in water to make it less salty or, if I haven't got time, I stick it in a large pan, cover it with water and bring to the boil for 5 minutes. When the joint has been in the water, just make sure you dry it properly before putting it in the slow cooker. Hope that helps and that it's not too late! :) Kathy

I ended up cooking it in a honey/balsamic sauce this time with some chunky veg round it but will do it your way next time. OH is in his way home so I'll let you know how it goes :) I'm starving! Haha

One of our favourite recipes to do in the slow cooker is lasagna! Everyone loves it. I make up a batch of syn free bolognese, layer it into the slow cooker pot starting with a layer of the bolognese, then a layer of pasta and so on. If we have syns to use up I sometimes put white/bechamel sauce on the top but quite often leave it off. The top doesn't brown like it would in the oven but the lasagna is so tasty! I put it on for around 3 hours on high or 5 on low.

Is it just normal dried pasta sheets you use? Sounds yum :)

After everyone raving about Slow cookers at SW group I have given in and got myself one, just wanted to say a big thank you to everyone that has posted recipes on here as have now got lots of ideas :)

sticky drumsticks
1.6kg (3 1/2 lb) chicken drumsticks, skin removed
100ml (4 fl oz) soy sauce
4 tablespoons sweetener
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 (600g) jar passata

Place drumsticks in a slow cooker. In a medium bowl, stir together soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic and passata. Pour sauce over chicken.

Cover, and cook on Low heat 8 hours.

Jambalaya in a Slow Cooker

Syns – 4 FOR THE WHOLE THING

Serves - 6

Ingredients

5 skinless chicken breasts diced

8 sainsburys BGTY Cumberland sausages sliced

250g uncooked prawns

200g celery diced

1 large onion diced

1 pepper diced

2 tins 400g tinned tomatos

250 ml chicken stock

2 teaspoons dried oregano

2 teaspoons dried parsley

2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning

1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
½ teaspoon dried thyme

Recipe

1) In slow cooker mix everything EXCEPT the prawns.

2) Cover and cook for 8 hours on low

3) 30 mins before serving stir in the prawns and continueto cook on low for 30 mins

4) serve with rice or pasta.

Hi just came across this thread so thought id comment and say hi im sure i will be on here a lot as im a busy working mum looking for easy meals.

CHORIZO AND SAUSAGE CASSEROLE - Serves 4

6.5 Syns for the whole recipe

I don't usually pre-cook anything that goes into the slow cooker but this recipe definitely benefits from it.

4 BGTY sausages - 2 Syns
80g diced chorizo - 4.5 Syns
4 thick rashers of smoked bacon, all visible fat removed
1 large onion, finely chopped
3 cloves of garlic, crushed
6 tbsp. tomato puree or more, if liked
200g can baked beans
200g can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
400g can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
400g can chopped tomatoes
250ml Knorr Chicken Stock-Pot stock
1-2 tsp. paprika
1 green chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
Worcestershire sauce, to taste

Spray a large frying pan with Frylight. Cook the sausages until light brown.
Add the chorizo and cook until the oils run.
Add the chopped bacon and the green chilli. Cook until the bacon is golden.
Add all the other ingredients, except the onion, to the slow cooker and stir together thoroughly.
Add the sausages, bacon, etc. to the slow cooker, leaving the chorizo oil in the frying pan.
Cook the onion in the chorizo oil for a couple of minutes, then add the onion and chorizo oil to the slow cooker.
Cover and cook on High for 4-5 hours.

Gorgeous served with a jacket potato and side salad or with rice/couscous.

Kathy

was reading and reading...I think i should buy a slow cooker) Everything sounds so tasty! thank you!!

Back