Smear results...

tinyshoes

Must try harder...
I have received a letter telling me I have to go to hospital for a colposcopy as a result of my recent smear test. The letter does not give any more detials than that, I have researched a bit on Internet and most people who have been referred seem to have details of why (CIN 1,2 or 3) but I have not detials! Has anyone else ever had this? Does it mean mine is worse than CIN 3 which as I understand it is cancer! I'm really scared. Have got to wait 3 weeks too. Sorry if this sounds over the top but I'm just really worried.

Don't worry about it - this is just abnormal cells (which have often righted themselves by the time you go for you colposcopy anyway) - not necessarily cancerous. Going to the clinic is a bit scary the first time but it really is nothing to worry about - embarassing more than anything.

They're just playing safe and if (and this is a very big IF) they find something then you've got something detected early and and they'll remove the "bad" cells

I know it's tough, but please try now to worry - you'd be surprised how common this really is

xxx

Last edited:
I would get to your doctors straight away to discuss this with them so you can put your mind at rest. they shouldn't refer you like that with out talking it through with you.

I had this too.

Had a smear at my 7 week check after DD, and it came back as abnormal changes. Mine were grade (cin) III

I was petrified, so i know how you are feeling. I went for a colposcopy, had loop diathermy to remove the cells and a cone biopsy also.

Thankfully all the cells were removed and (touch wood) I have had normal smears ever since.

Maybe call the Gp, explain how worried you are and ask what grade your cells were.

Good luck, and let us know how you get on!

Sam xx

Thanks for replying! I've called my GP surgery and have got an appointment tonight, just dreading that now. Haven't been able to concentrate on anything lately so I'd better go and see what they have to say. Just got to get through today for now. Sam - did the loop diathermy hurt? I think I'm dreading the actual procedure more than the results at the mo. I'm so shy and get myself all anxious before a smear never mind when there will be more people in the room with me and actually concentrating on just me I'll probably make a fool of myself and cry all the way through it. That's if I don't faint from getting too worked up first. How embarrassing being a woman is sometimes. I'm coming back as a man in the next life.

I know how you feel, it is embarassing but a necessary evil.

Besides, there is no way you could embarass yourself more than I did.............maybe I'll tell you the tale one day :eek:

You'll be just fine

xx

I had this too. Try not to worry - easier said than done I know but they will probably find nothing and if they do it's a good thing as they can do something about it. Good luck hun x

I had this too, see it's more common than you think. I'm sure it's just a precaution. I think chatting with your Dr will help to put your mind at rest. The procedure is not that bad really it's not lengthy so don't worry to much (easier said than done I know!) Good luck xx

Thanks for replying! I've called my GP surgery and have got an appointment tonight, just dreading that now. Haven't been able to concentrate on anything lately so I'd better go and see what they have to say. Just got to get through today for now. Sam - did the loop diathermy hurt? I think I'm dreading the actual procedure more than the results at the mo. I'm so shy and get myself all anxious before a smear never mind when there will be more people in the room with me and actually concentrating on just me I'll probably make a fool of myself and cry all the way through it. That's if I don't faint from getting too worked up first. How embarrassing being a woman is sometimes. I'm coming back as a man in the next life.

No - Honest to god it didn't hurt at all. They numb your cervix so it's painless - just a bit of pressure is fel, nothing more.

I shook like a leaf all the way through, and held on to the nurses hand for dear life - it must have been as numb as my cervix by the time i let go!

You can watch it all on a little tv screen too - I declined that though, thankyouverymuch! :D

Honestly, you will be fine - I'm sure of it

x

Just thought I'd post an update seeing as you were all good enough to try and re-assure me :). I went to Dr last night, and my cell changes are severe :cry:so I'm still really worried. Don't know what else to say right now, at work trying not to think about the possibility that the colposcopy and biopsy may show that it's worse than that. My bf is not one for pessimism and just said it's good that I'll be treated. I just feel so worried and upset like everyone probably does at this stage, it's ok for bf he's not the one who has to be poked around with and totally embarrassed and then have to wait even longer for more results but he doesn't understand. To make it worse he doesn't want to talk about it anymore (maybe because he doesn't want to think about bad things) so I feel like I can't be upset around him. Don't want to tell anyone else about it so I guess it's my fault I feel a bit 'on my own'! Anyway I'm rambling sorry! :(

Hey hunny, sorry to hear your upset. It is only natural to be feeling the way you are. Not sure if you caught Dr Chris on This morning (talking about Jade G's diagnosis) but he emphasised that cell changes are just that, cell changes. Early detection is the key to preventing these cells developing into Cancer. Which is why we have the joy of smears! My husband reacted very much like your OH and I was really desperate to lean on him for support but he just was nervous of what to say without upsetting me further. Your OH may not know what to say but he is there for you. Don't bottle your emotions, you are not on your own. I'll be here to "talk" whenever you need me. And there are plenty of other Miniminiers for you to lean on. HUGS Vxx

Please dont worry so much - Vicx is right - its changes in your cells, your smear has flagged up a potential problem which needs treated, severe changes still dont neccesarily mean cancer, catching any abnormal cells early is the best thing to stop anything progressing. Try not to be embarrased, the doctors and nurses do this every day. Wishing you all the best
x

I had one done and watched it all on the tv - it was weird !!

It wasn't painful but slightly uncomfortable. I was lucky because it turned out that I had quite a severe erosion but no cancerous cells.

Take care.

Hun please try not to worry, I know thats not easy though. I have been through this myself so know exactly how you feel. Dont bottle up those feelings - better out than in. xx

Thank you all for sharing your experiences. I am my own worst enemy really - I have been searching the Internet for other people who were diagnosed with severe dyskaryosis and so many seem to have found worse during colposcopy/biopsy that I'm just convincing myself that it will happen to me :cry: I am meant to be getting married next year and we were about to set a date/book the place but now i don't know what to do! IF it turns out to be bad news I can't really expect bf to marry me knowing we might not be able to have children, or worse. Also is it true that once you've had CIN3 it's likely to occur again? Will I have this problem hanging over my head for the rest of my life? I've read that some doctors suggest hysterectomy for CIN3, I hope not I'm only just 30 with no children! :( One minute I'm ok and trying to be positive then the next I'm back to thinking the worst. Does anyone know anything I can get from a pharmacy to stop me feeling so anxious? Neither me or my bf are sleeping properly and it's 2 weeks tomorrow til I go for colposcopy - it seems a bit of a long time to me to have to wait for something that could be so serious. Really struggling to concentrate at work too. Sorry, I appreciate you all taking the time to read this :) Any advice on how to calm down a bit and think more positive would be gratefully received, I'm generally not an optimistic person anyway.

Thank you all for sharing your experiences. I am my own worst enemy really - I have been searching the Internet for other people who were diagnosed with severe dyskaryosis and so many seem to have found worse during colposcopy/biopsy that I'm just convincing myself that it will happen to me :cry: I am meant to be getting married next year and we were about to set a date/book the place but now i don't know what to do! IF it turns out to be bad news I can't really expect bf to marry me knowing we might not be able to have children, or worse. Also is it true that once you've had CIN3 it's likely to occur again? Will I have this problem hanging over my head for the rest of my life? I've read that some doctors suggest hysterectomy for CIN3, I hope not I'm only just 30 with no children! :( One minute I'm ok and trying to be positive then the next I'm back to thinking the worst. Does anyone know anything I can get from a pharmacy to stop me feeling so anxious? Neither me or my bf are sleeping properly and it's 2 weeks tomorrow til I go for colposcopy - it seems a bit of a long time to me to have to wait for something that could be so serious. Really struggling to concentrate at work too. Sorry, I appreciate you all taking the time to read this :) Any advice on how to calm down a bit and think more positive would be gratefully received, I'm generally not an optimistic person anyway.

Awwwwww - I know how you feel, I really do. Why not try some Kalms and some rescue remedy? They might help you to calm down a bit. I was exactly the same when I got my results.

After the colposcopy I had to have 6monthly and then yearly smears. Since then all has been fine. I haven't heard about anyone needing a hystorectomy due to cinIII, nor that cinIII is more likely to come back than cin II or cinI.

2 Weeks isn't all that long - I know it seems that way to you, but if the results indicated a severe problem, they would have whisked you in I'm sure.

I have an appointment tomorrow with a dermatologist to see about a mole i have started to have problems with. I had the referral letter within 3 days and the appointment was within 2 weeks. I'm so so worried :(

But all you can do it wait for your appointment date and take it from there. Worrying won't change anything, it will just make you feel worse.

PM me anytime if you feel like a chat - or i can give you my email adress and you can add me to messenger.

Big hugs,

Sam x

when I had mine done I went to see my doc before and cos he knows I am completely phobic about stuf like that he gave me a prescirption for some tablets to calm me down a bit on the day. You can also get some herbal type calming tablets x

Hi, sorry, I haven't been ignoring your replies! I have made myself stay off the internet for a while as I just kept finding sites on the subject that were making me fear the worst! One minute I was ok, the next I was convinced that this was the beginning of the end which sounds a bit drastic I know but I was panicking so much - I even had an anxiety attack when me and bf were out one night, so I decided enough was enough and stopped looking for information! Anyway so for the past week I've tried to keep it at the back of my mind rather than thinking about it 24/7. So my colposcopy is this Friday and now I am really getting nervous - have bought some rescue remedy so am using that the next couple of days to try and stay calm. Not sure how often you're supposed to use it though. Can't really explain how I'm feeling at the mo, scared I suppose....anyway, I'll stop going on now - thank you all so much for your responses it's good to hear some positive stories

Thoughts are with you and defo stay off the internet, take your info from the hospital and not from unauthorised websites as you can convince yourself you have every ailment under the sun.

Good luck and thoughts with you

Mike

Back