Smelly Elle's fantastic diary: Weight Loss? What Weight Loss?

Yea - there are a few of those outside the great metropolis x

Errrrrrr what on earth is that gert lush bla bla malarky hahaha?! excellent. I love regional dialects. some of the stuff they come out with in the heart of the black country is incredible, it sounds a bit german actually...with a VERY strong black country accent. not to be mistaken for a brummie accent. that's different. In fact I was going to say when we met and you asked about where my brummie accent was, but i dont know...something obviously distracted me:p

There is a shop in Bristol that sells t shirts with Bristolian-isms on. Stuff like 'Alright mu luvver' 'cheers drive' 'Gert lush' and 'I love Nempnett Thrubwell'!

woo, i think i want one. but which, as all are so fantastic?! lol... I reckon there must be some black country ones n all. in fact im bored so i shall do a bit of google research.. x

What I don't get about England is how little you have to travel for accents to change. Birmingham, Manchester and Liverpool are all fairly close but have extremely different accents.

In Scotland we have different accents but it all seems to be variations on a theme with different twangs to it!

I bay gooin' ter tell yow agen

yes, and that is what i used to hear when i sat in my nan's cafe in willenhall haha.

guess what it might mean lol..

I bay gooin' ter tell yow agen

yes, and that is what i used to hear when i sat in my nan's cafe in willenhall haha.

guess what it might mean lol..

"I'm not going to tell you again" ?

yeh alright alright if I spoke it to you it might not be so easy:p although i'd be crap, it's a very strong accent and i don't really have it.

yeh alright alright if I spoke it to you it might not be so easy:p although i'd be crap, it's a very strong accent and i don't really have it.

I got it right? Huzzah! :D

I expect I would struggle more in person. Ditto if I spoke in my slang dialect to you.

Accents are great aren't they?! I think Bristolian is awful though, I can't stand Justin Lee Collins, he makes me cringe when he opens his mouth

It be indeed my maid. It means "Was it raining heavily?". I could also say "madderdooee?" or "rightonmacock" in Kernewek or "Ow be gwan on zurry" in Forest of Dean x

good grief. you are all talking gobbledigook. you guys also didn't think i had a yorkshire accent when i met you which is hilarious as it can get quite broad. i think, from visiting the danes, i must reduce my access automatically when i meet people now. as they would have had troubles understanding me when i first met my OH's parents. they wouldn't have a problem now but i can't stop doing it, hee.

abz xx

Gobbledigook explained:

madderdooee? = Does it really matter? Heard in Cornwall

rightonmacok = that's ok - again heard in Cornwall

Greetings

"Ow be gwan on zury?" "Ow be gwan on butty" = "How are you my friend" in the Forest of Dean or "Ow bist?" Bristol for "How are you"

Bledhen Nowyth Da = Happy New Year (Kernewek)

Pub Bolonjedh Da rag 2009 = All Good Wishes for 2009 (Kernewek)

Olla an gwella (whoops sorry - that means "all the best" in Kernewek which is the Cornish language as opposed to dialect)

One day I will learn Kernewek properly x

Back