So I cut down my free foods and . . .

And Muller lights!

Hi all, am loving this thread. Moderation is the key. When I tried SW in the past, I used to think 'free' foods meant eat until I nearly burst! Obviously I didn't lose any weight then.

I tend to reach for fruit as my first option if I want a snack.

How much can I eat?

"With Food Optimising you eat until you're satisfied."

How many of actually do this? not many I dare say, not because we overeat deliberately but because it takes at least 20mins apparently for your stomach to realise its received food, well how many of us can make a meal or part of a meal last 20 mins? So before we realise we are actually satisfied, we have eaten the whole plate/packet/box etc.

I don't know what the answer is to realising our hunger is satisfied, but maybe eating slower and just having a smaller portion is a start. If after half and hour of eating you still fee hungry go back and have some more, but just cut down a little with each meal and see if you get improved results.

Well Rosie i have proved you right. I am not near target but still cut down on my free foods. ie. not eating chicken in between meals etc and i lost 2lbs this week instead of my usual 1lb. I am unable to walk as i have broken my toe so that loss is without exercise too. And i have not been hungry.
good luck everyone with their weight loss
sending some sunshine

I am totally on board with the cutting calories idea, in addition to following SW. My only problem with this is having followed SW for so long, and never having calorie counted, I have no idea of the calorie content of what I eat.

Obviously pasta n sauces, mugshots, etc all have the info on the packets, but I don't really eat those very often anyway. It's much harder to know the calorie content of meals you have cooked from scratch.

I think I need to limit my portion sizes. I usually do this by eating superfree food freely and having as much meat/fish as I want to fill up, but I limit my carbs to the size of a Healthy Extra. So on a Red day would have plenty of veggies, meat/fish then just 10g pasta/ 227g jacket potato, etc. I also do the same if I'm having an EE day, so that I can limit the calories from carbs.

Does anyone else limit their portions, and if so, how? Perhaps I should also try limiting the amount of Red foods I eat in a meal, even on a Red day? I am going to attempt to follow Jaylou's advice today and have only fruit/veg between meals. I usually have the odd slice of homemade bran cake or yogurt as a snack, but I'm going to give those a miss and see if that helps.

Great thread, and I think it applies to not just those of you that are near goal, but those of us who are struggling and are emotional eaters. I dont overeat for saity (sic?), I over eat to feed my emotions, so when I am emotional eating, I am just going and going, and eating free foods, but have been thinking recently that of course you can overeat on SW, even with free foods. No matter what "healthy eating" plan any of us choose, whether its SW, WW, calorie counting etc, the bottom line is that our bodies are machines, and if we put too much fuel in, and dont burn it off, it will get stored in the overfill. Losing weight isnt rocket science - eat less, expend more energy. Oh, how I wish there was a little switch on my machine that stopped the emotional side, and just "did it"!!!!! I think what Im trying to say is that SW is a fantastic plan, but there is no such thing as free food, everything counts, and as you get nearer to goal, (which by the way is fantastic, all of you that nearly are!!), it does require less fuel. Sorry if this all sounds convoluted, but I think that SW has some work to do for you nearly at goal members.

xxx

Well Rosie i have proved you right. I am not near target but still cut down on my free foods. ie. not eating chicken in between meals etc and i lost 2lbs this week instead of my usual 1lb. I am unable to walk as i have broken my toe so that loss is without exercise too. And i have not been hungry.
good luck everyone with their weight loss
sending some sunshine
Brilliant well done you and hope your toe heals really quickly xxx

I'm also starting to change what i eat for snacks. I'm trying to stick to fruit and veg. And seriously, if eating a raw carrot doesn't sound appetizing, I'm obviously not really hungry enough, lol. And I'm also trying to have a big glass of water or sugar free dilute juice at the first sign of hunger, making sure I'm not just thirsty instead.

And I agree with the 'conspiracy' theory about certain branded foods. For example, I checked a supermarkets own brand of 'mug shot' type soup and it was significantly lower in calories but still had other comparable healthy nutritional values. Anyway, it worked how way higher in syns that a 'free' mugshot. But how does that work??

I'm also starting to change what i eat for snacks. I'm trying to stick to fruit and veg. And seriously, if eating a raw carrot doesn't sound appetizing, I'm obviously not really hungry enough, lol. And I'm also trying to have a big glass of water or sugar free dilute juice at the first sign of hunger, making sure I'm not just thirsty instead.

And I agree with the 'conspiracy' theory about certain branded foods. For example, I checked a supermarkets own brand of 'mug shot' type soup and it was significantly lower in calories but still had other comparable healthy nutritional values. Anyway, it worked how way higher in syns that a 'free' mugshot. But how does that work??

May be its the quantity of the ingredients that they put in them that counts towards the syn values/ free foods etc. The lower calorie ones may have more processed ingredients in them - don't know, just my five pennith worth lol.

I'm not sure I agree with the conspiracy theory. I agree with CG, I think it's the raw ingredients.
Take Oatsosimple for example - the plain one is a HEX, the syrup one is synned yet the cals are very similar. This is because there are a lot less oats in the flavoured one.

Also you can have other spray oils as long as they are less than 2 cals per spray. Some own brand rices and pasta sauces are free (not sure which, I don't buy them!) and there are so many free yoghurts not just Mullerlight!

The other thing to do is email SW and ask why? There must be method is their "madness" somewhere!

I think the word 'free' is being misinterpreted.
Free foods, in my opinion means it doesn't have to be weighed or synned. It does not mean eat as much as you like and until you are fit to burst!!!
That isn't what slimming world says.On the very first page of the food optimising book it states "Choose you free foods. Most of your food should come from the free food lists. We call them free food because you can eat as much of these as you like. You don't have to weigh,count or calculate quantities of these foods an any way.No fuss,just fill up any time on great tasting filling food." and on the next page it talks about free food as being unlimited.

Id just like to say thank you Brightonrose for this post! I have been finding it so hard to lose & started to wonder if it was due to my Kcal intake. I am now going to start counting & I think I will be very shocked! Even though i dont use mug shots/pasta/rice for snacks i do eat loads of fruit, sometimes 4 of my 5 a day by lunch time! Just because I think I can!
Thank you for giving me that little push & well done on your weight lose!! I only have 8 pounds to lose and really wnat to get there!
Thanks again!

I think we are all swimming in the same direction on this which is good, but we must still focus on the words "eat till satisfied" which I believe to be the secret of success but very hard to do as I know I have filled my face before my stomach knows its had enough, which means I overeat.

So to add another discussion point to this thread lol, I read this in a womans weekly magazine last week (it was an old mag my motherinlaw sent me) but my mouth dropped open at this,

its said (and this is by a dietician)

"Don't overeat. Your body should get what it needs in 10 mouthfulls.
Hunger stops with the first one, the next 3 fill your stomach, and the next 6 feed you. Anything after this you are just adding calories."

Thank goodness I have a big mouth lol.

What do you think to this?

"Don't overeat. Your body should get what it needs in 10 mouthfulls.
Hunger stops with the first one, the next 3 fill your stomach, and the next 6 feed you. Anything after this you are just adding calories."

On the funny side, this woman is mad, but I will happily give it a try... did I mention I have a mouth the size of the channel tunnel!

However this is total dependant on what you are eating, 1 mouthful of something could be highly calorific and be more than enough to fulfil your calorie needs for that meal. On the other hand something very low in calories, you might need more than 10 mouthfuls!

LOL Squiddie. I thought the same thing, but taking it as 10 shovel fulls (oh sorry mouthfulls) of a normal meal, there may be something in it and worth trying. Thought i might give it a go tomorrow and see if I am hungry. Are you up for it Squiddie (and anyone else of course) and we can compare notes?

Back