So... someone explain Atkins and how it works practically to me?

WWGF&WTDAI. I actually watched one of his talks on YouTube first, several times! One day I will dig into GCBC/Diet Delusion, but I've heard it's hard going, and I expect the salient points are covered in his talks (at 1hr 20mins they better be!).

I really appreciate his work though, that's some incredible research. Plus he kinda looks and sounds like Owen Wilson, which just about does it for me! :love::cupid:

PS monocle, I just looked at your stats. That's some impressive weightloss, and in such a short time too! I would be ecstatic to be at your current weight. Congratulations. How does it feel?!

180lbs would put me at a BMI of about 27, which I think is where I ultimately want to be. Enough padding to keep me warm. You're that much taller than me, so I bet you look fantastic right now!

WWGF&WTDAI. I actually watched one of his talks on YouTube first, several times! One day I will dig into GCBC/Diet Delusion, but I've heard it's hard going, and I expect the salient points are covered in his talks (at 1hr 20mins they better be!).

I really appreciate his work though, that's some incredible research. Plus he kinda looks and sounds like Owen Wilson, which just about does it for me! :love::cupid:

Yes you're correct boggins - as a fellow avid Taubes fan and owner of both The Diet Delusion and WWGF, I can confirm that WWGF covers pretty much the same topics as The Diet Delusion, but in a much lighter, easier to read way, so if you are going to get just one book I would probably recommend WWGF. However, I have still read The Diet Delusion twice - it keeps me on the straight and narrow if I'm tempted to fall off the wagon!! :D

What I like best about Gary Taubes is his incessant and thorough referencing. It gives a real weight of authority to his opinions. My husband was horribly resistant to low carb diets, despite having a lot of problems himself with diabetes which makes him an ideal candidate for LC, because he'd read too many anti-Atkins articles. Despite my own success with Atkins (maintaining - with the odd minor blip - for over 5 years) he was STILL convinced it was 'bad'. Taubes, on the other hand, convinced him of the science of LC and although he still won't try it himself, he no longer tries to interfere with MY eating habits.

I keep having the same, almost word-for-word conversation with my OH every time my diet comes up. I'll say "It's basically Atkins", and he'll say "But wasn't Atkins trashed by everyone?", and I'll explain it all AGAIN.

No hope of him ever being interested enough to read about it. He is one of those who eats what he likes and never gains weight. In fact he looks too skinny, really. Piles of mashed potato with dinner, Cornish pasties for lunch, bananas every morning- not a pound extra. Grrrr!

I have managed to get him off fruit juice and buying whole milk- he said he felt weird about it at first, he was so frightened of the fat content.

Back