So You're Thinking Of Starting Atkins

There you go then :)

I am sure I have read it somewhere before but I can't find it now, what are net carbs please?

Last edited:
Nett carbs is what you get when you deduct fibre, but we don't do that on English/EU products as the fibre is already deducted on the carb count love.

Ah, what a relief!! Bless your heart Jim. :~)

LOL, Thanks. :)

Jim I wonder if that is the same in Oz as there appears to be a lack of products that include the dietery fibre amount??

I was looking at this yesterday, on English products it has the Carbs listed and the fibre listed seperately on an American product it shows fibre as a sub heading under carbs. Think this is the easiest way to tell.

Well I finally got hold of the book today! So will be reading up tonight and over the next week or two.

xx

Hi, I'm Fi. I'm starting Atkins tomorrow. About to clear the fridge and cupboards then write the shopping list. scare, apprehensive etc etc. However, after letting the weight creep up and up for last four years, time to get myself by the scruff of the neck. Nothing could be scarier than the sight of myself in the mirror or on a video podcast for work the other day. I have avoided mirrors too long. If anyone else on verge of starting and needs support (ie I do!), get in touch. Thanks for all the posts here, really encouraging.

Hi Everyone, Just a question. I am doing my own version of a VLCD of around 700 cal per day, have had great results so far. Just wondering if I were to switch to Atkins would I still lose a lot in the induction phase. Would I gain most of the lost weight back before losing? Does anyone have any similar experiences or information that they can offer??? thanks for your help!!!

Hi Fi and daisy. If you look in the Atkins threads there are loads of posts going on. Daisy, yes we have a lot of people who have moved over from CD love.

Hi guys, I hope you dont mind me dropping in. You seem a friendly bunch. Last year I started CD. It went well for a while but then started to put on weight. Im currently nearly 2 stone heavier than when I started.

I've decided to go for Atkins (on monday). I dabbled for a few weeks about 7 years ago and although I lost weight it piled back on when i returned to the carbs. I sure hope I have a higher carb tolerance now.

I have about 8 stone to lose. From the atkins stuff i have it says induction is for a minimum of 2 weeks - no mention of any maximum length of time. Due to the amount I have to lose should I stay on induction longer than 2 weeks?

Hi Sane, Induction should be for about 6 months max, and I'm sure Jim will be on tomorrow to explain things more.

Make sure you drink loads of water, and get one of the books if you dont have one already. It'll explain why you shouldn't ever really go back to eating a huge amount of carbs, especially if you want to maintain your weight. Basically, lose most of what you want to, then start incorporating the carbs a tiny bit at a time. This means you'll be losing more slowly. You'll soon realise how much you can have to stay where you want to be. It's all about moderation.

I know this cos I also lost some weight on Atkins but didn't look into the mainteneance part so put on my weight I'd lost and a bit more.

Good luck. X

Yes, the '72 book said the more you had o lose the longer you should stay on Induction mate. I stayed on for 6 months and then progressed through OWL adding 5 carbs a month approx until I felt I was ready for maint. I do agree about carb intolerance though, I still have to be vary careful. Welcome and good luck.

Hello everyone, im starting on Atkins tomorrow which im quite nervous about!
So im going shopping tonight to fill my kitchen with the necessary stuff...EEK!!!

hey there guys. well i started today. so far, so good.

hope all you others that started today are doing well? in fact there seem to be a few of us at the moment so i think i'll start a new starters thread :)

Good thinking abz.

Back