So You're Thinking Of Starting Atkins

Hi,

Thinking about starting Atkins, but am veggie - would it be very difficult? Am at a loss as what to do. Am a chronic over-eater and former bullimic (albeit with exercise and not vomiting). Have lost desired amount on Lighter Life but have put it all back on. I know carbs (bread etc) are what I overeat on so maybe Atkins would be good. Lighter Life was amazing as I never had to eat (which would be ideal forever!!) but once I eat the same problems are there...it just feels like an insurmountable problem!

MaxieP

Hi Maxie. Welcome!

I am vegetarian and I love Atkins. I have to go out today but when I get back this evening I'll send you a private message. This can and will work for you, believe me!

Have a look at The Atkins Community official site, you'll find lots of advice there. Also in the new Atkins book - Atkins For A New You - there is the very latest information and a vegetarian section.

You are going to LOVE Atkins x

Great stuff Girly. :)

Thank you both, much appreciated. My boyfriend is on a starch-free diet, due to a medical condition, which is not a million miles from Atkins, so it should be ok if I can sort the meat thing :eek:)

I'm sure Girly will help you with that love.

Jim you are such a sweetie. I have 6 weeks to lose (quite a lot) hahah. I was unsure as to what I could eat on Atkins and what to buy in until I read your thread. I love chicken cheese, eggs, hotdogs, bacon sausages but I am not a fish eater or pork. What is a typical day on atkins like menu wise any hints, tips etc for a new starter.

I'd go and read the "What are we eating" thread Fattea, that'll give you and idea. Also look at the recipe stickie, some great ideas there. just remember, some of us are on maintenance so the daily eating and stuff might not be totally induction friendly.

what i don't understand......

Hi I'm a newbie - just joined today and this is my first message. I started the Atkins on 9th June and did great losing 8lbs in first 9 days and felt fantastic! Loads of energy, no sign of Atkins 'flu'. However since then I've not lost anything and though no headaches etc I feel completely washed out with no energy! What am I doing wrong? Has anyone else experienced this? I thought you were supposed to feel lousy for a couple of days THEN get an energy surge! Help please!!! :confused:

I read on the website that to avoid headache -- drink a cup of chicken broth and not the low sodium type! I use 1 cube to 1/2 liter boiled water. I am on Day 4, Round 3 and getting into ketosis is easy with this lil trick of broth!

I started the atkins with my husband on sunday, I went on the scales today and have lost 3 and a half pounds, is this normal. I think my husband might be eating a bit too much meat, can this happen? or can you eat a lot? I think i messed up yesterday cos i bought an atkins choc bar and then i think it said i can't have it on phase 1, is this true? surely its still better than a big bar of galaxy (mmmm). I do have the book and have read it but its a bit boring, this web site is a lot easier to follow. Does this sound alright for a dinner? (just to see if i have the right idea) Chicken breast with cheese in the middle and wrapped in parma ham (which says its only a trace of carbs so i'm counting it as very low) leafy salad and probably some green beans. IS that right?

Hi and welcome SS

1. You will lose more in the firs couple of weeks, so what you've seen so far is OK.
2. I eat a lot of meat, I know I'm on maint now, but even on induction I ate a lot.
3. Re the choccie bar, technically it's a No No, but unless you find yourself stalling I wouldn't worry.
4. The meal looks fine to me. :)

Hi and welcome SS

1. You will lose more in the firs couple of weeks, so what you've seen so far is OK.
2. I eat a lot of meat, I know I'm on maint now, but even on induction I ate a lot.
3. Re the choccie bar, technically it's a No No, but unless you find yourself stalling I wouldn't worry.
4. The meal looks fine to me. :)

So i should probably stop telling him off for eating lots of meat then lol We will see in 2 weeks wether its worked!
Once you have done induction then can you eat one choc bar without it effecting anything?

I've never used the atkins bars or anything like that SS, so I'm not the one to advise really.

Hi Jim!
Just a little question or two:eek:

I did atkins about 5 years ago & got down to 10st,found it really easy etc but over the years gradually went back up to 12st 4lb!

Anyway ive been doing ww since january & once again got to 10st but a holiday & just general boredom has seen me back at 10st 10lb.

Decided that atkins would be the way to go now, however havnt got my book anymore:(

If i only have 10lb to lose do i still need to do induction or is it straight to the next phase?
Also seen you mention aldi low carb sausages,can you tell me what they are called?

Many thanks, charlotte x

10lbs isn't much to lose Charlotte, and you've done well. I'd give it a week of induction just to kick start the low carb lifestyle. The sausages I buy are from Lidl and they are Mlton Gate Brand. :)

Oops my mistake i meant lidl,we havnt even got an aldi here!:p

Right its my bday today & an all you can eat chinese buffet awaits me tonight!
Tomorrow im back on the atkins wagon & i cant wait!:D

Thanks jim x

Not sure where youre getting your info SS but Richmond sausages are much more than that. The skinless ones are about 2.5 each, the thin ones are about 3.5 each and the thick ones are about 5 each. Some sausages can be as high as 10 per sausage.

Yes indeed, most sausages have rusk and other fillers. You're not subtracting the fibre are you?

Back