So You're Thinking Of Starting Atkins

Hi everyone, this is my third day on Atkins. Can anyone tell me if the headache, indigestion & feeling yuck on induction are the norm? If so how long will it last? I do so want to stick it out, I have already lost 1lb which would have taken me a fortnight on SW.

Edit,
May I say thank you for printing the rules Jim, It is somehow clearer than the book ..

I am in the same place right now, the headaches are killers and Im drinking water now cos of Jim (ta!) but the loss is great so far and the 'bloat' I had has gone and Im already in the 'jeans that were a bit too tight to be comfy' so Im delighted with my progress and am delighted to read that 'atkins flu' will pass as I really dont feel too fab! But Im on day 5 so Im almost out of it! Cant believe how much better my moods are too, the carb highs and lows were doing my head in!

Thanks for the sticky Jim as like many others Im just starting out and am easily confoooosed!!

I'm pleased it helped love. :)

Jim your sound for taking the time for the post. How long does it take to learn atkins? is it saf for a life time? Im on lipotrim and Im going to lose 20kg. When thats done the sh*t hits the fan with regards to diet? Where does a guy start?

Hi lang, I believe it's safe, I've been on it for some 8 years now and I have never felt better, my Dr is happy as well, my annual physical goes a treat, good heart, lung, kidney, liver and blood tests every year, couldn't ask for more than that could you.

I'd get hold of the Atkins book and read up so you truly understand the "science" behind the diet mate.

Thanks jim,
Would it be possible to send me a link or advise with an ispn number of the most up to date book? What one do you have. Nice to hear from you.
john

Morning John, I got mine from a car boot sale mate, I got the original '72 version, cost me 50p I think LOL

You can get them on Ebay and Amazon though.

Hi Jim,
Bought one today on amazon will keep you posted. Thanks for info so far. Are you in ketosis on this diet? Do you check yourself?
Regards,
john

Morning John, no I'm in Maintenance, have been for several years now. I never bothered with the sticks, I could tell I was in ketosis by the bad breath, bad BO and luminous stinky pee mate. :D

Oh dear I've blown it now!!!!!

Hi to everyone,

My name is Kat and I have been reading all the posts over the last week whilst doing W8, I lost 10lbs but couldn't keep it up. I desperately need to lose 5 and a half stones and thought Atkins would be my saving grace because I feel that I need to be able to eat.
This morning I read the bread package and it stated that the Carbs 'of which sugars' was only 1.5g so i had two slices with my bacon and eggs. I now have heartburn from hell :cry:and have realised that all the carbs actually count so that means 18.5g per slice. How much damage will this have done. Can someone put my mind at ease, please?:sigh:

Hi kat, don't worry love, we've all done it. just get back on plan and drink plenty of water.

Hi,
I had a bad experience with antibiotics an lipotrim and fully swapped to atkins while in ketosis. I have an atkins cook book (set by mistake) I ordered the atkins diet book anyway it explained w
everything with delicious food. I have lost about 2lbs this week on it. The ketostix are showing in ketosis still as I was on lipotrim, I never came out of it BUT this could be a dietary fat reading so im going to lean down on the food for two or three days and see do I get a positive reading for ketosis.

I have still to buy the book, but this was very helpful (but i will be sure to buy the book to! lol)

Thanks very much for posting this.

x

Hey Jim, what a great post - I did Atkins a few years ago, lost 4 stone and then went back to 'normal' eating. Now 5 and a half stones later it's time to go back. I see that you have been at goal for years, how on Earth do you stay so focused?
I must admit I just kept to the induction all the way through - maybe if I had followed through it would have been easier.

Hi Sue, it can be difficult at times, I stay pretty much on induction levels when eating at home, but I do eat carby stuff at lunch time when I go out to eat. That seems to work for me, I only have about one carby item at lunch though, say chips, or bread or pasta or rice, but very rarely mote than one in any given day.

Hi Jim,
I'm new to this site, my friend recommended me, i was just wondering what recipes you can have on phase 1 from the recipes thread and i wondered if you can have carrots and diet lemonade. what about mince beef, are you allowed anything else for snacks apart from atkins bars.
Thanks
Diane x

Hi Diane,

Well the first thing is welcome love.

Carrots are a no no I'm afraid. any veggie on the list I wrote is acceptable and so is all sorts of meat, particularly non processed meat. as for snacks, think pork scratchings, baby bell cheese, mini salamis etc. Why don't you post a new thread introducing yourself and asking questions love.

Thanks alot, really helps, well ive been having carrots oops im waiting for the book to arrive so abit unsure about it.
What about the diet drinks? i will once ive got my head around it
Diane

Provided they are sugar free, no problem love.

Hi,

Thinking about starting Atkins, but am veggie - would it be very difficult? Am at a loss as what to do. Am a chronic over-eater and former bullimic (albeit with exercise and not vomiting). Have lost desired amount on Lighter Life but have put it all back on. I know carbs (bread etc) are what I overeat on so maybe Atkins would be good. Lighter Life was amazing as I never had to eat (which would be ideal forever!!) but once I eat the same problems are there...it just feels like an insurmountable problem!

MaxieP

I know it has been done, but I can't answer this personally Maxie. I hope someone can though.

I know there is a veggie section in one of the Atkins books, not sure which though.

Back