Soup recipe

I am a big soup fan. Lentil is one of my favourites. This week I went hunting for a new recipe to try and found Jamie Olivers spicy red pepper soup on the internet. Oh my it was delicious even though I over did the chilli a tad.
Am looking for a butternut squash recipe if anyone has any recomendations.

I have just made this for lunch, its lovely but I don't think i'll be waiting 2 hours for lunchtime to arrive to eat it tho as my 3 year old nephew is begging for soup now! Hes a soup fiend!

One thing I will say about mine is...I think I will keep some veggies back next time, to add chucks to the soup.

Anyone else reading this - forget any misconceptions about lentils. THIS IS DELICIOUS!

Ah so glad you enjoyed it CatCrazy, I love it when I give people an idea and something they enjoy :) It certainly has helped me lose weight by being tasty and filling me up for a while so I don't feel inclined to snack or eat something fattening for a nice flavour, it quenches my salt and spice cravings quite nicely in one sitting!

I will keep an eye out for a butternut squash recipe for you too Laura, if I find one I will post it up :)

BUMP or.....

Just made your soup again, as my 13 year old has been hankering after it since I last made. Hes just said "this better make it on the food rota" so I think it will become a staple food in our household.

This time I dry fried small chunks of carrot onion and potato in a pan, letting the sugars from the onions caramelise them all and placed a spoonful on top of the soup when I served...was delicious combination, sweet veggies and spicy soup. Worth trying for a little difference but without detracting from the soup.

BUMP or.....

Just made your soup again, as my 13 year old has been hankering after it since I last made. Hes just said "this better make it on the food rota" so I think it will become a staple food in our household.

This time I dry fried small chunks of carrot onion and potato in a pan, letting the sugars from the onions caramelise them all and placed a spoonful on top of the soup when I served...was delicious combination, sweet veggies and spicy soup. Worth trying for a little difference but without detracting from the soup.
I'm glad its such a hit with your 13 year old :D Its nice for the winter when you need warming up too :)

I like your idea about the onions, potatoes etc and the soup serving idea - I'll definitely try that, sounds delicious.

The soup recipe says that you can smooth your soup but I prefer to leave it with the little chunks of veg in - it makes it much more interesting. I don't think I'd like it smoothed out.

Thanks for the great tips :) X

I blended mine the first time and just thought it needed something...I like it blended but I don't think it looks as good as it tastes. It looked a little too much like a curry sauce and thats why I thought of adding the veggies. So I blended this time too and added the veggies on top and it works. It looked very restauranty, (<<new word for chrome to learn LOL) I guess we do eat with our eyes too so pleases the eyes as well as the palate. It is very warming, my son has asked for it for breakfast before school tomorrow:eek:

I blended mine the first time and just thought it needed something...I like it blended but I don't think it looks as good as it tastes. It looked a little too much like a curry sauce and thats why I thought of adding the veggies. So I blended this time too and added the veggies on top and it works. It looked very restauranty, (<<new word for chrome to learn LOL) I guess we do eat with our eyes too so pleases the eyes as well as the palate. It is very warming, my son has asked for it for breakfast before school tomorrow:eek:
Ah yes I would expect it might go quite smooth - i've never blended mine as like I said I prefer the veggie chunks. But next time I make it I am defintely going to try your idea with the added veggies and caramelised onions so I will blend for that. Great idea :)

Lol well at least your son is getting some veggies and lentils into him before school, that will do him good! He must really enjoy it, I'm glad I made this thread now, its nice that people are enjoying something so simple so much :) X

Does your son take a packed lunch or have school meals? I used to love it in winter when Mother would put soup in my flask for lunch at school, mmm.

Thought I'd bump this post up for new people to see :)

Back