Soup recipe

Miss Mango

Little Miss Wii Fit!
Hey everyone, I'm currently on a lentil soup diet, this soup has to be the most delicious soup ever, its gorgeous and I thought I'd share it all with you to use in your diets as you wish. I'm currently on it (as well as apples and Special K) for 2 weeks until I lose some pounds.
Have a go at making it, honestly its lovely!!

• 1 tablespoon oil
  • 2 onions
  • 2 carrots
  • 1 celery stick
  • 2 cloves garlic, crushed
  • 1 teaspoon curry powder
  • 1 tablespoon tomato puree
  • 125g red lentils
  • 2.5 pints vegetable stock
  • sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

• Peel and finely chop the onions, carrots and celery.
  • Heat the oil in a frying pan and add the onions. Fry for 5 minutes until soft and translucent.
  • Add the carrots, celery, garlic, curry powder and tomato puree and fry for another minute.
  • Meanwhile bring the stock to the boil in a large saucepan and add the lentils.
  • Add the vegetables to the lentils and continue simmering, covered, for 25 minutes until the lentils and vegetables are cooked. Season with salt and pepper.
  • Blending is optional. I don't blend my soup as I like to leave the little chunks of veg. But if you prefer to blend then thats good too :) Once cooked you can blitz some or all of the soup for a smoother texture if desired.
Prep: 15 mins. Cooking: 30 mins

The curry powder adds a gorgeous flavour, I could eat this forever, honestly!

Last edited:
I'm not a lentil fan but I might give that a try, with the curry powder it sounds like it could be similar to mulligatawny soup, which I love but have had no success in making. Whats the calorie count on your soup BTW?

I love my celery soup, it was rich and creamy but only had about 80 cals per serving. The only problem is I make a batch and its left to me to eat it all as the kids don't even like the smell of celery! As much as I loved it 5 servings in 2 days was a bit much for me.

I'm not a lentil fan but I might give that a try, with the curry powder it sounds like it could be similar to mulligatawny soup, which I love but have had no success in making. Whats the calorie count on your soup BTW?

I love my celery soup, it was rich and creamy but only had about 80 cals per serving. The only problem is I make a batch and its left to me to eat it all as the kids don't even like the smell of celery! As much as I loved it 5 servings in 2 days was a bit much for me.
If you like the mulligatawny soup then you will probably love this, it doesn't taste too "lentil-ly" if you know what I mean - its really nice and will be warming for winter too.
I'm not actually sure of the calorie count on it hun, where would I find that out do you think? I got the recipe from here Lentil Soup Ingredients and it doesn't give calorie information on it but its something I'd like to know too.

I might try that celery soup, I don't usually like celery and I hate the smell of it too but that sounds really tasty what you mentioned. I know what you mean though, if you overload on the same food then you do get a bit sick of it. I'm trying to vary myself as much as poss and will eat my lentil soup until I'm bored of it when I'll find a new recipe to help me! Aggh - the things you have to do eh! :D

I use Free Calorie Counter, Diet & Exercise Journal | MyFitnessPal.com I found it because I make 99% of my food from scratch and it was a real pain trying to work it out. All you do is imput your ingredients, amount of servings and it works it all out for you. I'll go do yours and post back
Oh wow, I didn't know things like that existed online - thanks so much for that, its going to be so helpful!
Thank you for working it out for me too, very helpful of you :)

The number are Calories Carbs Fat Protein Sodium in that order, so 83 calories per serving based on 6 servings

Oil - Olive, 1 tablespoon 119 0 14 0 0
Onions - Raw, 2 medium (2-1/2" dia) 92 22 0 2 7
Carrots - Raw, 2 carrot (7-1/2") 59 14 0 1 99
Celery - Raw, 1 stalk, medium (7-1/2" - 8" long) 6 1 0 0 32
Garlic - Raw, 2 clove 9 2 0 0 1
Spices - Curry powder, 1 tsp 7 1 0 0 1
Sainsbury's - Tomato Puree, 15 g 12 2 0 1 0
Sainsbury - Red Lentils, 125 g 129 22 1 10 0
Knorr - Vegetable Stock Cube, 2 Cube 64 4 5 2 4
Add Ingredient

Total: 497 68 20 16 144
Per Serving: 83 11 3 3 24

I had no idea on what stock you used so added it as 2 knorr vegetable stock cubes and also made it to serve 6 but its got to make 3 pints so may well be more.

Cat

Thank you so much for doing that for me hun, I'm very grateful as I wasn't sure how it worked! 83 calories per serving is great, at least I won't worry about that now! :D
It is Knorr veg stock I use. At least I have a rough calorie idea on the soup though, thanks again :) X

I find the site invaluable for calculating my meals. Glad I found MFP as well as MiniMins because between the 2 I feel like I have all the tools and support that I need to see this through to the end. And beyond

Thanks for the recipe Miss Mango and for the calorie information Cat crazy. I am not used to eating lentils but may give this a try, sounds quite cheap to make as well.

That sounds yummy! Think I'll try it tomorrow :)

While we're talking about lentil soup - I'll pass mine on too!

Ingredients:
1 small bag red lentils
1/4 Swede
1 x large leek
half a bag of carrots
Ham stock cubes to taste!

Boil red lentils in a stock pot with half the pot filled with ham stock (I usually use 5-6 stock cubes because I love the taste!)
Let the lentils completely cook until mushy then add the carrots & swede grated & the leek chopped (not sliced!)

Cook and serve!

Vegetable or chicken stock can also be used :)

xx

Oooh thanks for that recipe hun, sounds delish, I'll try that one when I'm finished this pan.
I'll tell you girls what this lentil soup has really helped me look slimmer - its making me go to the toilet a lot for a wee and I think its getting rid of my excess water, everyone was commenting today how much better I looked so I was chuffed :)

Hi, thanks for the great recipes now the colder weather is coming I am looking for an alternative to my usual fruit lunch. I have a wee question though, do you have to soak the lentils overnight? Thanks x

Hi, thanks for the great recipes now the colder weather is coming I am looking for an alternative to my usual fruit lunch. I have a wee question though, do you have to soak the lentils overnight? Thanks x
No hun I don't soak mine - just cook them seperately until they're soft - I use the red ones.
Its really delicious and does warm you up! X

No hun I don't soak mine - just cook them seperately until they're soft - I use the red ones.
Its really delicious and does warm you up! X

Thanks for that, Im going to get the makings tomorrow make a big pot and freeze it for all week lunches next week. Need a winter warmer in this bleak weather. xx :D

Miss Mango I made this soup yesterday and it is lovely. Its much better than the tomato soup I made last week so thank you for the recipe!

Miss Mango I made this soup yesterday and it is lovely. Its much better than the tomato soup I made last week so thank you for the recipe!
Ahh brilliant, I'm so glad you enjoyed it hun, its lovely isn't it! No problem about supplying the recipe, I'm always only too glad to help!

My dad made some fresh crusty bread today so I had a slice with the soup for a treat with some butter, it was so tasty! :D

Mmm I love soup, any kind at all.

I don't feel too bad for eating lots of it when I know it's really just veggies and water.

Sounds great Miss M, and I wanted a new soup recipe, can't wait to get that made after all these complimentary write-ups.
I usually make celery soup as after buying celery for salads I always find the outside stalks too coarse so rather than waste them I use them up in a soup by just adding carrots, onion and seasoning. Will be nice to have something different.

Sounds great Miss M, and I wanted a new soup recipe, can't wait to get that made after all these complimentary write-ups.
I usually make celery soup as after buying celery for salads I always find the outside stalks too coarse so rather than waste them I use them up in a soup by just adding carrots, onion and seasoning. Will be nice to have something different.
I keep meaning to try celery soup, everyone says its really nice. I hope you enjoy my soup recipe, let me know what you think of it :) Its really tasty I think - even the next day the flavour seems to come out even more.

You're right about flavours coming out better, I prefer my curries and chilli beef soup on the 2nd day.

I've finally bought the ingredients and will be trying your soup this weekend. Me buying lentils...never thought I ever would as my dad overused them when I was a kid. The little red ones were excellent to shoot through a straw tho lol!

I'll let you know how the soup goes down, 1 of my boys is keen, the other pulled a face at the mention of lentils but I pointed out that the shop bought soup he likes has it in so I cant see it being a problem as long as I can get him to actually try it

Back