"SP" and Green Days - advice & help needed please!

Valentine_N

Secret Agent
I am about 3 and a half weeks in to the plan. I have stuck to it mostly (I did have a bit of a 4 day blip involving chocolate, takeaway and a few drinks). I have definitely seen results although as I have said in a previous post... I am always hungry.

As I work for the NHS, my eating patterns can be a bit chaotic & I am trying to plan for this more.

A member of this forum said about green days... But I don't know the rules.

My friend also suggested SP days...

It's all so confusing!

Do you go to group? Your consultant would go through it with you but essentially I understand it as.

SP days are where you eat exclusively from the S (speed) list and the P (protein) list. Everything else is synned or should be a hex. You can have 2 hex b on a speed day. All snacks should ideally be speed food.

Green is one of the old plans. Preferred by vegetarians it allows limited carbs like pasta, rice and potato. Lean non meat protein like quorn pieces etc. Meats and the like should be synned. Snacks should be synned or speed food.

On both plans 1/3 of your plate should be speed food (previously known as super free)

Someone may come along and correct me but that's what I followed when I was veggie.

:)

Thanks so much.

Can you mix and match? Like mon, wed, fri sp days and tues, thurs, sat and sun green days? x

Yes :) just not within days

So why did they stop them? Seems like the green days are loads better for veggies.

And therein lies the question that many ask.

Green and red days (the opposite where you syn carbs but freely eat meat and veg) ran for years. Very successfully. A lot of people still follow the plans now but slimming world don't endorse them officially and haven't for about 2 years or so. When they created extra easy it was kind of a hybrid of the two plans so have greater flexibility. The red and green plans because the alternative and eventually were dropped.

With my cynical hat on I would say it was because if slimming world didn't create new plans and update what they did in a way that seems to be an improvement then the would become stale. Weight watchers have changed their plans numerous times over the years. Points, pro points and the new range of plans they do. Slimming world needs to keep up in the market.

However a lot of people are of the mind that if it ain't broke.... Personally I think the best time was when they ran all three plans. I wouldn't be surprised if one day they redevelop them and move back that way. In fact SP days are really just red days with a few adjustments!

I do the Red days as LTL mentions in her post, (and I am the member that has suggested Green days as the OP is vegetarian). Basically as you are not a meat eater your healthy extra a and b will be the same, just you can have 2. Fill up on free food and incorporate the speed foods. There is no need to worry about the measured amounts of fish or meat if you don't eat it.

If you are really confused, then you have two options. The first is to go on the Facebook page I mentioned. The group is free and you will get the plan and support from other members doing green days. Otherwise, I would recommending going along to a class, speaking to the consultant and explaining you are a vegetarian, asking if the green plan is still in the books and if it is then join and get the consultant to tell you as much as possible the first night. You do not need to return if you do not want to but then you have the information you want, which is much better than trying to struggle through. When I first joined SW, I went for 6 weeks doing extra easy. Once I knew it inside out, I left the group and went it alone. Doing it alone is not for everyone and while you might have the odd day feeling hungry, most people comment how full they are doing this diet and how much you can eat.

As you work for the NHS and work shifts I assume you are working with service users, which means your breaks are erratic? Is it possible for you to grab a couple of minutes to eat a small piece of fruit or have carrot sticks, a yogurt, that kind of thing. Whatever minutes you can snatch to shove something down your neck is clearly precious and I would take any opportunity you get to eat to tide you over to the next meal. Good luck with everything and let us know how you get on :)

The red and green plans are not in the books at class anymore BUT they do come up on eBay if you buy a pack from 2014. It has kind of yellow and blue books in it. I only know because I sold one myself a few weeks back!

As you work for the NHS and work shifts I assume you are working with service users, which means your breaks are erratic? Is it possible for you to grab a couple of minutes to eat a small piece of fruit or have carrot sticks, a yogurt, that kind of thing. Whatever minutes you can snatch to shove something down your neck is clearly precious and I would take any opportunity you get to eat to tide you over to the next meal. Good luck with everything and let us know how you get on :)

If your work is anything like my health board 'HEI / infection control' would never allow you to grab food in the ward area (except night shift when neither are lurking lol) and we were never allowed to leave ward to go to staff room unless on a break. Before I left my old ward we weren't even allowed a bottle of water in the ward with us! Which is a big reason I did put on weight cos as much as you are running around all day busy busy, the times I was eating and what I was eating (toast, a sandwich from shop, chips from canteen etc) was never really SW friendly. And its hard when 4 members of staff go on break at same time and all need microwave etc.

I know ebay do have the books but they sell for crazy prices, you genuinely would be cheaper attending class one night, getting the books and not returning! But like LickTheLid said, they books you want aren't in the new books, so unfortunately ebay may be the answer.

Thank you all for your help!

Jeanne, I have requested to join that group. I guess what's confusing is that it seems like the "extra easy" but with more good stuff. I try and eat healthily anyway. I like the idea of the extra healthy extras (especially nuts and cheeses). I think it will help me. Especially with snacking! I will give it a whirl!

Milliesmummy, there are infection control rules but we are allowed food and drink within reach. There is always a deluge of treats brought in by our women as "thank you" presents, colleagues who like to bake (myself included) and sweet tea and buttery toast for the team when breaks are looking unlikely.

Last night I took a homemade wheat free pasta pesto in with me to work so that I had a snack option (as I can't have mug shots), I also took fruit and overnight oats for around 6am before I handed over and came home. It worked quite well and I'll try the same again tonight.

My old place was ridiculously strict. Now my new job is much better, I literally sit in front of the 'goodies' cupboard though and between thank you gifts and lunches/reps etc we are always flooded with not so SW friendly food lol. I don't miss nightshift at all! So I feel for you x

Hi I do the old red and green as I can stick to extra easy an do everything ok but not lose weight I'm one of those that wished they would bring back the old plans, had a right snobby consultant that would not let me do the old plans an even rung me to tell me not to discuss it or even mention it in her group I think it's a shame as that one plan dose not work for everyone. Green days consist of two bs an they do say two as but I have only ever used one a you can you use corn mince an corn chicken all your pasta rice an graIns are free foods with your norm as speed red days your not allowed peas or sweet corn I did print the old plans before they disappeared of their website but gave them to a friend will see if she still has them I may Beatle to send a copy

Oh an you can do one day extra easy one green one red an repeat or whatever one works for you I always have a extra easy day Sunday for roast potatoes

And therein lies the question that many ask.

Green and red days (the opposite where you syn carbs but freely eat meat and veg) ran for years. Very successfully. A lot of people still follow the plans now but slimming world don't endorse them officially and haven't for about 2 years or so. When they created extra easy it was kind of a hybrid of the two plans so have greater flexibility. The red and green plans because the alternative and eventually were dropped.

With my cynical hat on I would say it was because if slimming world didn't create new plans and update what they did in a way that seems to be an improvement then the would become stale. Weight watchers have changed their plans numerous times over the years. Points, pro points and the new range of plans they do. Slimming world needs to keep up in the market.

However a lot of people are of the mind that if it ain't broke.... Personally I think the best time was when they ran all three plans. I wouldn't be surprised if one day they redevelop them and move back that way. In fact SP days are really just red days with a few adjustments!

Thanks for this. this is the bit of info I've been looking for. I've just rejoined and was a bit sad to see no green days (for the HEBs) but I'll follow the Extra Easy then might experiment with the green days further down the line..

You could always just follow EE and have 2 hebs, all of the syn values would be the same as the old green (there would only be a difference to the old syn value if a food item also contained meat but as a veggie this wouldn't apply)
Non veggies who used to do green would prob have had one of the heb's as meat/fish but now with EE the meat is a free food and therefore you don't need it as an heb that is why it's now 1 heb for EE
Hope this make sense

I've been sticking to the 1 HEB for now and got 7lb so far in 2 weeks which way exceeds anything I ever lost before (1lb a week, and took me 4 weeks to lose that first lb back then) so I'll stick with Extra Easy and the one HEB.

Back