Spain free and low syn foods.

hi sue,

I would really appreciate if you could do a list of free n low syn foods from mercadona, then i could print it out and take it with me!!

claire

Hi,
I would def be up for meeting up, i'm in playa flamenca, just minutes away from suespain in los altos!

I am at least 2 hours away from you all and we also have a member in Madrid.

I would be prepared to drive over if it is not a weekend.

I'm just at the other side of Torrevieja from Claire & Suespain :p I won't be able to meet this time, it's only a week and I have lots of banking and dealing with builders to do! We're over again at the end of May though and will have over 2 weeks then :)

Mercadona...............

For green days all of their bottled pulses are brilliant and so cheap.
Garbanzos ( chickpeas) Alubias ( broad-beans) Lentejas ( lentils). The ones with vegetables added are really good to throw into a green day soup or stew. I always buy their own brand , Hacendado, as it is so much cheaper and just as good.
Their La Pasteleras yogurts are excellent and syn free.
Queso Fresco Batito 0% fat is fromage frei. Great on strawberries, in soups, as a spread.
Tomate Triturado is chopped tomato.

I am sure there are dozens more that I can not remember at present but am going there this morning so will post again a bit later on.

thanks for that, appreciate it!! xx

Isn't strawberry season just fantastic. I've just had a huge bowl of fresones chopped up with an apple and orange. What a gorgeous breakfast! It drives me crazy when I want strawberries in July and can't get them, but they're well worth the wait :)

You lucky, lucky people. I love strawberries. But I'm allergic to them, so I look, drool and then buy something else! lol

Isn't strawberry season just fantastic. I've just had a huge bowl of fresones chopped up with an apple and orange. What a gorgeous breakfast! It drives me crazy when I want strawberries in July and can't get them, but they're well worth the wait :)

I will send you some Harrie !!!! We can get English ones in Iceland when the British season starts !!
Personally I prefer raspberries and loganberry's are orgasmic, but they are so hard to find here.
Now in Barcelona in La Boqueria Market you can but fruits you have never seen or heard of. To think in richer days I used to do the 4 hour each way drive just to do a days shopping.............

Now where is that lottery ticket ??
fruit_market.jpg

Last edited:
I love strawberries. Off to market this morning to buy a box of them!! Iceland opens near here the end of the month so will be nice to still get them in the Summer. We can get frozen raspberries here too. Not the same but nice for a change.
We went last year in June to the UK when the kids broke up from School and went Strawberry and Raspberry picking. My kids loved it and I laughed so much at my youngest red face after eating so many!!

That fruit stall is incredible! Our local markets aren't much cop above the usual fruit - and the price of blueberries, which I adore, is ridiculous. So I gorge myself when I go home (Morrison's loves me!).

How can I get Iceland to open here?

That fruit stall is incredible! Our local markets aren't much cop above the usual fruit - and the price of blueberries, which I adore, is ridiculous. So I gorge myself when I go home (Morrison's loves me!).

How can I get Iceland to open here?

It is an amazing place. I can spend a couple of hours in there. You can buy prepared fruits to lunch and munch on so is an SW'ers dream place. The meat and fish stalls are just as impressive. I adore Barcelona.

It is worth approaching www.overseas.es just take at look at their rapid growth and their enterprise.

OVERSEAS.ES

You can not lose anything by pointing out to them how many expats live in and around Madrid. It must be a huge catchment area.

I think that is how they eventually opened up here. So many people were travelling to Murcia to shop there and were asking them to open here and emailing them. Intermache shut down and they have taken over the old store. Should be open in a couple of weeks so I will driving you mad on syn questions soon :)

I think that is how they eventually opened up here. So many people were travelling to Murcia to shop there and were asking them to open here and emailing them. Intermache shut down and they have taken over the old store. Should be open in a couple of weeks so I will driving you mad on syn questions soon :)

It was an old Intermarche store they took over here in Benissa as well.

Ask away Niki, drive away !!! lol.

Yoghurt - need some advice!

Mercadona does the Yog-fit 500g tub not in the fridge and they also do smaller pots of 0% natural yoghurt.

I tend to buy yog-fit (as I prefer taste!) - is it still syn free or low syn or should I be buying the 0% smaller pots?

Yog-fit is a 500g pot with 71kcal per 100g. protein 3.1g. carbs 6.5g and fat 3.6g

Thanks, Sue

Yoghurt - need some advice!

Mercadona does the Yog-fit 500g tub not in the fridge and they also do smaller pots of 0% natural yoghurt.

I tend to buy yog-fit (as I prefer taste!) - is it still syn free or low syn or should I be buying the 0% smaller pots?

Yog-fit is a 500g pot with 71kcal per 100g. protein 3.1g. carbs 6.5g and fat 3.6g

Thanks, Sue

You should work on roughly 1 syn per 20 calories.

Have you tried the La Pastelera yogurt which is 0% fat and sugar.

Most yogurt that are 0% fat and sugar are free otherwise syn them.

Hi Sue - if it's got fat and/or sugar it's got SYNs.
As Fillymum says, the La Pastelera ones are tasty and creamy.
Mercadona also do their own label bifidus ones which I also like and they are the same price for 8 as Activia for 4. About the same price as the La Pastelera ones too.

Hi Sue - if it's got fat and/or sugar it's got SYNs.
As Fillymum says, the La Pastelera ones are tasty and creamy.
Mercadona also do their own label bifidus ones which I also like and they are the same price for 8 as Activia for 4. About the same price as the La Pastelera ones too.

I agree they are excellent. I like these too, a lot, especially the prune ones.

Thanks Pommette.

p.s. are you French ??? I thought Pommette was French for cheek bones but then as my French is a think of the dim and distant past I am probably wrong.

You should work on roughly 1 syn per 20 calories.

Have you tried the La Pastelera yogurt which is 0% fat and sugar.

Most yogurt that are 0% fat and sugar are free otherwise syn them.

Thanks for info, love that Pastelera one's but need plain one to go in curry.

Any natural yogurt that is fat or sugar free is syn free.

Back