Spain free and low syn foods.

I have just had some books delivered so have complete lists of free and superfree now. Def worth having a list available to refer to. I am also keeping a food diary. I only really seem to be using my syns at the weekend and that is on Vodka and oil from cooking. I luckily got given a fry light food spray to get me started, so when I cook at home I am using that.

I have just had some books delivered so have complete lists of free and superfree now. Def worth having a list available to refer to. I am also keeping a food diary. I only really seem to be using my syns at the weekend and that is on Vodka and oil from cooking. I luckily got given a fry light food spray to get me started, so when I cook at home I am using that.
Hi Caroline (again)
By yoursel a sprayer (I got mine in the UK at Lakeland - but I have seen them here too) and fill with ordinary olive oil. 1 spray is exactly the same as FryLight, tastes better and is MUCH cheapaer!

Hi Estrella

You just have to go back to basics and cook everything from scratch here. SW friendly instant meals etc don't exist.

I just use Mercadona mince all the time, dry fry it carefully and add a couple of syns to the meal.
You can live without frylight - just use ordinary Olive oil but only 1 teaspoon full at a time and you'll be fine. Tastes much better and much cheaper too.

Re snacks. You can get various muesli or rice type bars in Mercadona that are only about 80 cals a bar so I do a "fudge" and count these as a half HexB. I compared them them to Alpen lights and the fibre, salts, sugars, fats etc weren't that different.

You can get light cheese triangles in Mercadona too - actually slightly lower in cals that Laughing Cow lights so I substitute these. You can get the real thing and BabyBel lights in Carrefour. You can also get Philly light in Mercadona.

It is possible to lose in Spain - it just might be a bit slower. I've managed over 5 stone!! And if I can, anyone can.

Good luck chica.

I thought the Mercadona Mince contained cereal and so have not used it. I buy mine from a Spanish butcher who only minces decent stewing steak which is quite low fat. Be interested to know if the Mercadona mince is free. I bought a turkey there at Christmas and then discovered that they had added flavouring to it.

Nice to have found this thread because I have been on SW for 3 weeks and looking for low syn ideas here.

I don't know whether anyone can help me with this one.
Mercadona do a postre with coconut and pineapple, that is 97% fruit. Please could anybody help with the syn value per pot.
K,cal =110
proteins =1.0
Carbs= 21.2
Fats =1.8, saturates 1.6.
If not, do I use the 20 syns per calorie conversation? I just thought with it being so high in fruit, it may have some benefit that brought the syns down.Oh and it has something like 1% oatmeal in it too
Thanks in advance

I have just had a Mercadona Recetas Pasteleras 0% yoghurt - are these seriously either free or only 1/2 syn?? I had the Stracciatella one, as it appealed least to me and I loved it.....
Please confirm the syn values - I can see me eating loads of these!!!!

Hi Caroline (again)
By yoursel a sprayer (I got mine in the UK at Lakeland - but I have seen them here too) and fill with ordinary olive oil. 1 spray is exactly the same as FryLight, tastes better and is MUCH cheapaer!

Can you get olive oil to come out of the spray? I ask because I can't get pure oil to spray out, only when I mix it with water and shake before use. If it will come out of the Lakeland one I will get one when I am in UK in a few weeks.

Can you get olive oil to come out of the spray? I ask because I can't get pure oil to spray out, only when I mix it with water and shake before use. If it will come out of the Lakeland one I will get one when I am in UK in a few weeks.
Yeah - the Lakeland sprayer is brilliant. There are two available - both have a manually pump mechanism so that you can pressurise the dispenser.
I've looked all over their site and can't find it though - but my friend bought one recently too.

The nozzle does clog up after a while but a quick hot soapy wash and dry out cures the problem.
Hope you find one to enjoy!!!

I usually hold a bit of kitchen roll on top of the bottle and tip it up and back very quickly then rub it round the pan. Have used the frylite stuff but don't like it (except the salad dressing one I bought in UK) and usually use 1tsp oil to cook spices.
I bought a plant spray bottle and put olive oil in it but could not make it spray so will give this one a go. I did find an oil spray one in Aldi but couldn't get that to work either :)

I think you definitely need the pump variety to pressurise the bottle to get it to spray out.
There's a really good cookware shop called Casa near us, and I'm told they have several shops over the Costa Blanca so they might have one.
I wonder if Ikea do them? Just had a look round their site but can't find anything.
Ours is like the first one - which is actually available on Amazon UK.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/RSVP-SPRY-4...RO/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1362783195&sr=8-10
Oil-Sprayer-Oil-Mister-Oil-Spray-Bottle-Oil-Pump-Spray-Bottle.jpg

Different make also on Amazon ES
http://www.amazon.es/Mastrad-F27350...1_fkmr0_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1362783058&sr=8-2-fkmr0

second pic just to show you the mechanism.
Oil-Sprayer-Oil-Spray-Bottle-Oil-Pump-Sprayer-Olive-Oil-Sprayer.jpg

Last edited:
I was in Casa yesterday and no luck there - Carbonell have just launched a spray olive oil in Spain, one for cooking and one for salads, I have picked one up from Carrefour and going to give it a try. Hopefully it will save the mission of searching for a sprayer. Yes I know it is not fry-light but at over half the price, worth trying. .: Carbonell - Especial Psst :.

Wow, Well done caroline..I shall look for that over here too then..Just out of interest, how much was it please?? ;)

Pants!!! Lakeland have stopped doing the oil sprayer!

However, Dunelm have one at just £5.99 and I'm told it works really well.
Dunelm Oil Sprayer.jpg

Silver Misto Oil Spray | Dunelm Mill
Bought one today so will report in about it when I get home from the UK!
Unfortunately, they don't even deliver this item from the online store in the UK! So you have to collect it!

Last edited:
Super patri have an offer on at the mo, not sure for how long 99 cents each.
Wow - that's good. Only problem is we don't have one of those near us. :cry:

Hi all. New to SW. Been In Spain (Alicante) for 2 years now and need to shift the stone and a half I've gained. This site is great as I am 'going it alone' no SW classes near me and no-one I know doing the diet. I am struggling to find brands here other than in Iceland and their prices are ridiculous. I have read these forums from from to back to front LOL and what's sticking in my head is 20 cals = 1 syn which is what I need to remember if I'm ever unsure. Last week I lost 4lbs on EE and this week I'm doing only RED. Good Luck everyone. x

Back