Spelling - It's lose not loose!

I notice this a lot of forums - my pet hate is when people actually write the phrase "should of seen it" or should of done this" etc.

It's should have - then again I'm a pedantic sod, and fully expect (and deserve) to have all my future posts inspected lol.

Pedantry rules!

Steve

There are a lot of mistakes on posts but I wouldn't want to make people worry about it and stop posting as a result.

That's true eternity!

I notice this a lot of forums - my pet hate is when people actually write the phrase "should of seen it" or should of done this" etc.

It's should have - then again I'm a pedantic sod, and fully expect (and deserve) to have all my future posts inspected lol.

Pedantry rules!

Steve

However I am inclined to agree with Steve...that is one thing that drives me absolutely mental and more and more people are doing it! Grrrr...don't you people read?!:sigh:

Sorry it just really gets my goat!;)

I really don't care :p

Am with you 100% on this one, can't think of a single other spelling mistake that annoys me more. The most annoying grammar mistake is when people type 'me' instead of 'my'.

Other than that I'm a pretty patient person!

I saw this and had to comment, my husband is Dyslexic and got ridiculed and told he would get no where at secondary school. However he completed a Law degree 3 years ago at the age of 33 followed by a Post graduate teaching course and now teaches law to A-level students. He has improved his spelling but it is not perfect, he makes silly errors as the one commented on. He also runs his own forum called penaltycharges it annoys me when people comment on his spelling after he has done so much to help others although it doesnt bother him at all anymore and i am very proud of him.:D Oh and both my sons are Dyslexic aswell, i can only hope they are as successful as my husband has been. There are more important things in life to worry about !

^^ Fair point, there are, but as we have already said, not everyone is the same.

We all have our little niggles and for some of us it's spelling and grammar and text speak!! Oh and I also don't like misuse of apostrophes.....

There are more important things in life to worry about !

Yep...good on your hubby. I graduated with a 2:1 in law last summer and it is HARD work even for someone who isn't dyslexic.

Thankyou he managed a high 2:2 , he was also running a business and a website to provide for our 3 children. I was also studying for a degree in History and working, it was a stressful 3 years but worth all the hard work.:D

The other thing is this, if people are not corrected, do they ever learn?
We can muddle through life from leaving school spelling a certain word one way thinking it's correct and not realising.
It's good to keep learning, in my opinion.

Back