Stalls and Gains. Need help

still stuck at 369

I went up to 373 374 twice and then back down but I can not seem to get past 369 for some reason. Driving me to insanity. I am sticking to the 1200-1400 cals a day to see if the problem will resolve itself. I am also going to try removing the rice and upping the veg intake and see what happens.

there is something about 369 I keep hitting it but it won't stay. one time I said screw this and ate 900 cals on that third day (hit 369 two days running so I wanted to force it under 369 even if it was just .1) third day 370.6

how is that even possible? even if my body used ZERO calories 900 calories would only equal .26 pounds. so clearly for some reason I am retaining fluid and then letting it go but NOT losing any mass.

suggestions?

OMG. You are seriously undereating. You have lost a massive amount of weight very quickly- but I have a feeling your 'stalls' are going to become a lot more common as your body begins to think theres a famine going on.
I think your body is catching up with your losses, as I feared.

I hope I'm wrong, but the evidence is pointing towards starvation mode....:sigh:

But I am not GAINING weight either. Just bobbing between 369 and 373 or so

right now I am 370.2

its as if I am on no diet. No hungriness no aches no pain and oddly no cravings lately either or at least very mild cravings. I think I "broke" the cravings issue at this point.

I am not weaker BP Cholestrol Sugar all normal all within tolerances of what it has been all along since before dieting.

I never went back above 376 and that was after thanksgiving and to be expected. 1 day later I was 373.

At this point I don't care too much about starvation modes. What are the pros and cons? Damage potentials?

What can I eat so that lower calories do NOT cause "starvation" mode. ie how is it that gastric bypass patients eat 800-900 calories but do not damage themselves?

Could it be the rice? as of yesterday I dropped the rice from the menu. A pity I like it and its basically FREE (comes with my chicken chop suey so I pay for it whether I use it or not)

I have even gone back to eating NORMAL foods. Wawa Turkey sandwiches (no stuffing or mayo etc.. just 6") and a few normal restaurent meals here and there but in SANE quantities. no "extra" anything etc..

No change!! same fluctuations between 369-373

A few days I upped things to 2000 calories still No change.

what gives?

I am going to start keeping a detailed journal of everything that goes into my gut and post it here. maybe you guys can spot something I am not seeing.

If it takes "starvation mode" to get rid of the weight SO BE IT. ramifications be damned whatever they may be they are less damaging than being 400 pounds. BUT if there is a healthier way to do it I would prefer to try that route first.

If I can gain 200 pounds in 9 months I should be able to lose 200 pounds in 9 months. thats only .7 pounds a day which should be doable. I know its not as straightforward as that but you get the idea :)

any help would be greatly appreciated.

I can't wait till spring comes. I should be able to drop another 50 pounds by them and then I can start some hard core increases in my activity levels.

I am even considering a gym membership but fear lack of time will result in wasted money.

One thing I have learned. We stopped at boston market one night on the way home from work. I would usually order whatever I order in the large size with sides and an extra large side.

this time I ordered the regular serving of the beef brisket (insanely good BTW) with red potato's and green beans (I can eat an unlimited quantity of their green beans yummyumm) and thats it.

Not only was is amazingly good as expected but the portion and quantities were fine and I was sated. I had little desire for any more.

I have done this 2 or 3 times at different places so I know I can handle NORMAL portions of Normal food without heavy cravings to overdue things. I am very pleased by that discovery.

I apologise if this has been said alread, I don't have the time to read carefully right now but I just wanted to say that protein is what counts most if you'll choose between macronutrients and if you want to ensure you are not losing muscle mass. Also, supplements -eg Magnesium, Potasium, etc- are crucially important along with the vitamins if you will do such a vlcd in a non-food-replacement regimen.... Last but not least.... you are running a risk of messing up your thyroid with this. Do start reading on hormones and then at the same time either look at a meal replacement vlcd or at low carb alternatives such as paleo, zero carb, carb cycling, etc.

Good luck and please be safe!

what will mess up the thyroid? the low cal ? the toggling between low and normal cals? definately want to avoid that.

how does the meal replacement thing work? I used to get lots of protein from yogurts but I got sick of buying them and other people eating them (but magically everyone feins ignorance) so I stopped buying them.

I will have to check my protein and make sure its high enough (whats a good number?)

How much do meal replacements COST. money is one thing I do not have so I have to be careful in that regard.

In my opinion and experience, a very lengthy calorie deficient regimen does. As for the number on protein, I'd guess that 1 gram per lbs of lean body mass is the guiding principle and a bit under that is fine but under 50% of that is certainly dangerous enough to have muscle mass vanish.

I wouldn't be able to tell you what LighterLife or Cambridge or Modifast cost where you are at but surely it's easy to find out online and it is not as expensive as Low Carbing -which incidentally I believe is the better option for long term weight loss and mainainance-

so would using my goal weight be close enough? that can't be right that would be 225grams of Protien. not sure if I could eat that much :) so how do I figure out lean body mass?

would 6 months hurt my thyroid? in theory I should be able to lose the bulk of my mass in 6-7 months.

Nerys, great to hear from you.

Keep sticking at the 1200 - 1400 cals a day. This is not too low at all and I agree that your body is catching up.

Now know that it is frustrating that the weight is stalling but at least you are not gaining only a little fluctuating. Let your body adjust and catch up for a couple more weeks. Perhaps with 1400 a day.

Then have a re juggle with everything. Go back to a week of 1200 and change all the foods that you are eating, so you have NEW variety. As your body will be getting use to the same foods and eating patterns.

Stay positive and dont stress about things. You have lost just short of 50 lbs! That is amazing! Meal replacements are expensive so perhaps just keep persisting.

As for the rice..... if you are having this on a regular basis your body is probably wanting a change.

Is it winter over there? What about some really low cal home made soups with a small bread roll for lunch/dinner?

Bren
X

Last edited:
Nerys, my suggestion would be to try low carbing it. There is a man on the low carb forum, who goes by Jim. Talk to him. He has lost I think 160 pds! by low carb. Look at atkins or something like it.
I have low carbed and I follow my own routine. I start my day with an Atkins low carb shake.
I eat 25 grams carbs per day. No sugar,breads, ,pastas, sauces, grains, starches, dairy products , except cheese is ok but watch the carbs in cheese. etc.

You can eat losts of meat, fish, no carb cheeses, a large salad twice a day with low or pref. no cal dressing, eggs, but watch the bacon, has carbs in it.
Following a no carb diet you could lose 3-7 pounds per week and not be hungry at all.

Low carb is an easy way to lose and continu to lose weight. Good luck, hope it helps.

3 pounds bad 5+ pounds a week good :)

I tried low carb it worked but I quickly stalled "hard"

I could give toggling it a try. low carb 2 weeks regular 2 weeks always keeping it under 1400cals a day and see what happens.

"Starvation diets which consist of less than 800 calories per day and skipping meals do more harm than good. Starvation diets consisting of 500 calories or less can lead to gallbladder stones. When you eat too little your body switches into starvation mode and stores fat rather than using it, slowing your metabolism down. Starvation diets leave the dieters hungry and those on this type of diet tend to overeat as well as make unwise decisions.
The dangers of getting your body into starvation mode:

A person following a starvation diet can be left weak, dizzy, and undernourished. This dieting can also lead to more severe starvation diet problems like Anorexia Nervosa and Bulimia Nervosa. When the body reaches starvation mode many complications occur such as:

1. Electrolyte imbalances which cause dehydration, muscle spasms, and in severe cases it may cause cardiac arrest.
2. Hypokalemia or potassium deficiency and chronic Hypokalemia.
3. Depression, anxiety, irritability and anger.

How the body gets into the starvation mode:

The low-carbohydrate and high-protein starvation diets trick the body into starvation mode. In an attempt to improve the poor success rates found with dieting has resulted in the development of a very unhealthy approach to dealing with the hunger drive and losing weight: low-carbohydrate, high-protein diets. The basic mechanism of this popular approach involves suppressing the hunger drive by tricking the body into making adjustments usually brought on only by disease or starvation. Ketosis is a process by which the body burns stored fat for fuel and it occurs when carbohydrates are cut completely out of a diet. It puts the body in a state of starvation and the body then turns to its own vital organs and robs it of fuel.

A well-balanced, low-fat, high in complex carbohydrates diet is the best diet approach whereby you eat a variety of foods in small portions. Instead of simple carbohydrates such as fructose and sucrose, eat complex carbohydrates such as vegetables, whole grains, beans and peas. Reduce fat and alcohol intake. A well balanced diet and exercise is the safest and ultimately most effective way to lose weight permanently rather than a starvation diet. "

This is taken from a UK government health website. You are risking your life by putting your already under strain body under even more pressure.
You are fluctuating because you've hit a plateau. Your body is rebelling. You do NOT gain weight in starvation mode?
You'd need to ask a MD why someone who has had gastric surgery can cope on such a low-cal diet. I don't know. All I know is I'd rather lose weight safely, than die trying. Sorry if that seems blunt, but you're determined to do this unsafely, so I feel I have to be?

Well Irish Mum here is how I see it. What does the UK medical board say about the health risks of being 420 pounds or in your lingo over 26 stone.

I want to go as healthy as I can but failure is imminent if the plan does not get results. Must feed the MIND as well as the body.

so if I am eating over 800cals I am safe from starvation mode penalties?

WOW lean body mass of 196 pounds. thats off by a little bit but close enough I guess. says I need 99 grams of protein a day!! so how does one eat that much protein without eating a ton of calories along with it?

looks like it wants me at 200 pounds. I don't think thats possible (no joke I really am one of those "big boned" folks always was "big" even with no fat on me to speak of) but its close enough since I want to get down below 225.

so its probably close enough for government work. Now to figure out how to eat 100g protien without going cal topsy.

plugged my sister in. WOW says she should be 141 !! (304 right now) at least she only needs to eat 51g protien :)

I want to go as healthy as I can but failure is imminent if the plan does not get results.
Yet you insist on doing this as unhealthily as possible?? At the end of the day it's up to you how you do it. Again I ask whats the big hurry. You want immediate results to keep you motivated, yet are placing your already under strain body under even bigger pressure, which may possibly have fatal consequences. I can't say it any clearer. If losing weight quickly is more important to you than being alive, thats your perogative.:confused:
Must feed the MIND as well as the body.
By taking the advice you like and ignoring the advice that doesn't give you answer you want. Again- thats your choice. I thought you had it sussed when you raised your intake a little and saw that you could do that and still lose, yet now you're going against all the 'health' advice and doing your own thing again...and wondering why it's not working. :sigh:

Look you can take it or leave it. You can help or not help. But getting antagonistic with me will have zero impact on my decision making process and only aggravate both of us.

Let me make this clear. Losing weight is more important to me than my immediate health. PERIOD. Now with that past us at this point. LONG TERM health is important to me. anything that can permanently damage me IS a concern. Being a good weight is useless if I am sick.

Any cries of "fatality" is nothing but red herring and sky is falling stuff to me. Its just that simple. WHY? because there are people all over the world eating a hell of a lot less than I am and they somehow manage to survive 40 50 60 years of life.

Telling me this might kill me 1 in a million is like saying I should never go outside because a lightning bolt might kill me. SOME risk are worth being concerned about some are not.

Thats the problem Irish mum.

I HAVE NOT LOST A SINGLE POUND IN OVER 3 WEEKS. I thought I was pretty clear on that. a week before thanksgiving I was 369.0 pounds.

I HAVE NEVER GONE BELOW THAT NUMBER by even 1/10th of a pound. This means I have not lost ONE SINGLE POUND.

I THOUGHT it was working (I was wrong) when I went up to 376 and then it started back down again. I said OK this might be working I can live with this. but once it hit 369 IT STOPPED and went back up again. I keep bobbing between 370 and 373 touching 369 every now and then.

This is NOT acceptable. Its just that simple. I will do everything in my power to do it the "right way"

2.7 pounds a month is NOT TOLERABLE I do not care what the consequences are (the site linked said I should eat 2096 calories a day to lose 2.7 pounds a month)

2.7 pounds a WEEK is not acceptable.

I do not IGNORE advice. but I can and will "set asside" advice that does not jive with my objective. I will hear them. I will consider them. I will also try to BYPASS THEM as safetly as is feasible if I deem it required.

I GREATLY appreciate any advice you can give. My speech and my questions make this DAMNED clear. But I also "MUST" without question acquire certain objectives.

I mean are you serious? I TOOK YOUR GUYS ADVICE exactly as given and have been eating 1200-1400 calories a day for over 3 weeks.

I expect results otherwise I deem the experiment a FAILURE.

SO either your advice is NOT WORKING for me "OR" I am doing something wrong.

I mean I was not expecting to increase my calories 50% and not "slow down" in my loss but STALL COMPLETELY ?

"still lose, yet now you're going against all the 'health' advice and doing your own thing again...and wondering why it's not working"

are we seeing the future now? who said I was doing my own thing again?

FIRST I am always doing "my own thing" I am a sentient being. I do as I please.

I asked for advice. I absorbed that advice into my decision making process and am trying it out. This process CONTINUES to this day.

if by new years I do not see loss I WILL try something else. that I can promise you.

If people not taking everything you say as the word of god and suplicating themselves before you as all knowing is a problem for you you REALLY should not be giving advice on the internet its only going to give you a lot of stress and heart burn. That be the nature of sentience and free will.

If it was simply a misunderstanding I apologize lets get past this and move on.

In the end I have an objective. I WILL lose 150 pounds by next summer BY WHATEVER MEANS IS WITHING MY POWER.

I asked for advice TOWARD THAT OBJECTIVE and will prefer the SAFEST path possible toward that goal.

but the GOAL REMAINS UNCHANGED and advice that takes me OUTSIDE the boundaries of that goal will have less merit in my decision tree than advice that LEADS to my goal.

you need to understand this. you should understand this.

Think of it like this. If you set a goal and someone gives you advice that only gets you half way to your goal are you just going to jump all over it and say OK lets do it? or are you going to try and MEET your goal?

the only way I would change my objectives here is if I discover conclusively that my objective is physically impossible. (please don't take offense but an internet persons "say so" is not proof that its impossible)

Anything I can do to incorporate SAFETY into my decision process I WILL DO. Now that I know I need 100grams of protein I will modify my diet any way required EXCEPT raising the calories to incorporate 100grams of protein.

NOW I simply ASKED about the 800 because the VERY TEXT YOU PROVIDED TO ME says lower than 800 calories is where starvation mode comes into play.

SO I INTELLIGENTLY ASKED for clarification. IE does staying over 800 calories keep me out of starvation mode? Do you not think that was a reasonable question to ask?

if staying over 800cals keeps me out of starvation mode WHAT is the logical reason for not lowering my calories to 800-900 calories?

I THOUGHT the reason for raising my calories to 1200-1400 was to avoid starvation mode? at least thats what seemed to be implied??

over 3 weeks of no loss is NOT sitting well with me. while i have NOT yet altered my diet from 1200-1400 I AM NOW SEEKING to find out WHY and what I can do about it.

sitting around and "waiting" is just not an answer I a ready to accept. AT WHAT POINT is the waiting over and action needed? 3 weeks? 8 weeks? 3 months?

Last edited:
ok looks like protien might not be as hard as I thought. it seems 6 oz of chicken fish tuna have 40-45 grams of protien. I eat at least 8 oz of those a day which means I eat 60-70grams JUST in my meats a day. probably 20 in misc protien. so I am almost their already. if I simply introduce a few yogurts here and their I will be over 100 grams protien a day.

One problem down :)

Jeez. Obviously I struck a nerve. Is my lecture over?

I'm no expert. I have repeatedly said this. I had a LOT less to lose than you do, and am a lot shorter, and I did it by eating more than you currently do. Without stalling. Thats proof to me that theres a flaw to your regime. Of course this is only my experience, but there are a LOT more members who have gone through the same process. Your body NEEDS fuel, if you don't fuel it, it'll hold on to every scrap of nutrition it can and try to repair the damage that is occuring. You are a lot taller, and a lot heavier than the average man/woman so will obviously need more calories than the average man/woman, either to maintain your weight or to lose. We suggested 1200-1400 to get you away from the 800-odd and show you that you wouldn't gain eating more calories. Thats been proven- you haven't GAINED. But your body is still suspicious and not letting go because it's still not getting enough- it still thinks theres a famine going on. It's not rocket science.
You don't ignore advice, you bypass it?? Sorry, but to me thats the same thing.

In my humble opinion you're not eating enough and your body has rebelled. You can agree or disagree- it's entirely up to you.

You posted on a weightloss forum for advice, if you don't take it it's your decision- I've said that before. Theres only so much we can tell you to help you. You want to ignore it- thats fine. I'm not going to stress about it, it makes no difference to me how you lose weight- I don't know you, so any harm you're doing to yourself is not my problem.

Anyway, I'm not going to lose sleep over this. I wish you luck in your journey, I truly do. I know your desire to lose weight is propelled by a wish to get 'healthy', but while you continue to do it like this I'll not contribute anymore, as we obviously have different ideas of what losing weight 'healthily' is.
Good luck.

Back