Starting Exante today

It's easy to put the diet off until a better time. But this time we didn't and I award us a gold star each :)

Hope you enjoyed your food yesterday and today (exante day maybe ?) If so food tomorrow. Yum. I haven't tried Japanese food, i hear good things about it I think I might look at trip advisor for a locally recommended restaurant.

Another couple of good eating days under my belt and not struggled at all with it. I didn't realise today how scared I am of being hungry when I'm dieting. It was a lovely feeling today to be out for hours and not feel hungry and without the accompanied fear that I will buy chips as I feel so desparate and want to shovel food down. I had beef stew and cauli mash for dinner as I wasn't full I just made myself a very cheesy buttery omlette straight after and didn't struggle at all in doing so. Thats a big change for me. Previously I would have battled with myself and my hunger maybe settling for soething small and disappointing. Tonight I just thought this is real hunger and I aint putting up with it. Oooh I'm so assertive ! x

Oh a gold star - I'm a sucker for a prize!

I think Japanese is probably far healthier than Chinese as a rule as it seems to be without all of the sweet sauces. Spicier - more like Asian food. If you ever come to Newcastle with your daughter I'd recommend Osaka - amazing food!

Well I've been beating the exante and garden battles. Food today and I'm enjoying it immensely! And I'm also starting to enjoy the gardening. Now I'm making progress and can really see a difference through what I've done I'm feeling spurred on to do more. I've been researching shrubs to refresh the border - ceanothus and sea thrift have caught my eye for a bit of extra colour.

I should be a brilliant dieter as I rarely recognise hunger. It's as if there is a disconnect between my head and my stomach. My eating depends upon what's going on in my head far more than what's happening in my stomach. And it's as if there's a switch in my head that says eat or don't eat based on what I'm thinking or feeling. I know where that comes from but it doesn't make it any easier to control the switch but being aware of how it works can help.

Listening to your body is much healthier - go you with your assertive eating! I remember in the past really wanting something "naughty" to eat. Denying myself and so grazing through a boat load of "healthy" things resulting in my eating more than I'd have had if I'd just had the thing I wanted in the first place! But at this rate we're going to be a right pair of skinny Minnies :)

Enjoy your food/drink tonight. I'm having a treat tonight too, just haven't decided what yet! x

I think I'm almost recovered. It was such a fun evening and I'm sure I enjoyed it more because I felt a bit better about myself. Drank a bottle of wine and avoided all visible carbs, so pretty pleased with myself. I'm sure everything was drenched in msg and sugar but I did the very best I could . Straight back on it today, felt pretty ropey but a walk in the woods a cooked brunch and plenty of napping has just about sorted me out. The photo made me very sad though . I thought I looked reasonable. Jeans white linen shirt statement necklace. The reality is I look like the pilsbury dough boy. My features are lost in a fat ball. All my friends look gorgeous.

All quiet event wise now. The next' thing' is my daughters host sister is coming to stay at my house for a week on 24th May. So will be some meals out. I can stay in control of that though. I am not looking forward to her coming if I'm honest. It's too long . I'm not great at entertaining I find it such a strain. She is delightful and I am obliged to be host as my daughter lived with her family for a year. I'm quite selfish with my time I like my own company a lot. Wish I were different but cant take pleasure in marathon sessions with others. I feel trapped/bored . Aren't I a joy :)

That's interesting that you seldom feel hungry. I know it isn't unusual I have heard many say the same. I presume then that carbs aren't really an issue for you. It really is a thought/brain/mind thing that drives you to eat. It isn't a chemical drive ? You are addressing it now though so a step in the right direction.

My daughter moved in officially with her boyfriend today. I will visit Newcastle in the next few months and try the Japanese place you mentioned. I am thrilled and excited for her but she is now further away from me which means I'll probably see her less often. Where is your son hoping to go to uni?

Hope you've had a good couple of eating days and tamed your garden a little more x

Now listen here Lottie - it sounds like you're being really too hard on yourself. I can hardly imagine you looked like the pilsbury dough boy! Your outfit sounds perfect. And I think that when we've needed to lose weight we start to imagine ourselves as a certain way and even get used to comparing ourselves unfavourably to others so we stop seeing ourselves as we really are but "read" the world and ourselves through a more negative filter. Like the opposite to rose tinted glasses. I remember when I was at my slimmest as an adult (and had been for some time) , I went to John Lewis to buy an item of clothing and asked the assistant if they had it in a larger size. She looked at me and said "actually you need a smaller size than the one you're holding, you're tiny". My flabber was well and truly gasted. I saw myself in a certain way which wasn't't accurate and I think that we can do this in all sorts of different ways. So I'll hear no more about rolls of fat. In any event you managed what you ate and still had a good evening and that's also to be celebrated!

I know exactly what you mean about liking your own company. I do too. I work from home 3 days per week and colleagues who do the same complain of feeling bored and isolated without the company of others. Not me! I thrive on my own company and get far more done to boot. It's not that I don't like people - I do but I don't "need " to be around others. It's down to attachment style. So having someone to stay for a week would be a trial for me too.

Well although it's my head that says eat and not my stomach, my head says eat sugar and carbs and fat so unfortunately that drive is there, just coming from a different place. I'm bored with exante now. I'm craving something different on exante days. I'm thinking of joining you, I've been checking out the HFLC online. Is the 20g of carbs per day in total or just for any veg? I think I could manage that for a while.

I've done so much gardening - I've been dipping out there for half an hour at a time and I'm making headway. I think that I must have burned off at least a gazillion calories today alone. :)

I hope moving day went well. If your daughter needs any advise on where to go or where to find anything or just general orientation please let me know. My son will hopefully be going to Liverpool Uni ( fingers and everything else crossed that he gets the grades he needs!). I'll have an empty nest then and so part of my wanting to lose weight is for me to be feeling better about myself when he goes. It's going to be a massive change for me as well as him though I'm so excited for him. I remember going off to uni myself at his age and how exciting and mad and fantastic it all was. Mind you that was the 80s as well....

Hope you've had a good day - new week and new weight tomorrow :) x

Morning everyone,
Today I'm starting the Exante diet and tbh I can't wait. For the last couple of months I've been spiralling out of control with my eating - I feel sluggish and go to bed most nights feeling stuffed and uncomfortable. I'm determined to stick to it 100% and just take one day at a time. I weigh a massive 18st 5lbs and would desperately love to get to 15st. Anyone else just starting and to anyone else already on the diet, how are you getting on? - Thanks. Xx
Hi Milly.
I am trying exante. Yesterday was my first day . All went well I am trying to lose some weight for my holiday in 4 weeks. Hope u have a good day . Les x

That's me told !! You are right, I know you are. grumbling and maudling don't get ya nowhere. So I shall desist with immediate effect :)

Woke up today to the curse (as my mother called it) and thought aaahhhh ..so that's why...sorry husband,son,cat,dog,Sainsbury checkout woman. All good now though
smiley.png
Then got to thinking I never experience either hunger or cravings during first day or so of my period,in fact quite the opposite....see where I'm going with this ?. Ideal opportunity for a little fast. Fung said homeostatis (sp) is one reason for diets failing and to shake it up with a fast. Ate last night at 7ish so will wait until then to eat today. I'm a bit nervous, hunger really terrifies me. It's not the hunger sensation that bothers me so much but the dismal sense of failure I feel when I am so hungry that only chips/pizza/cake will satisfy me. (')uck chicken I want a twix. 'and I'll scream until I get one' said the Id, truculantly. I have all the ingredients for DD goats cheese spinich pie so will make that shortly ready for tonight as it looks very indulgent and makes me less scared of fasting.

Exante has it's place and serves a purpose but seems you're over it now ? So ready to try summat else. HFLC is suiting me really well. I think it can only work well if you really do adhere to the HF bit though otherwise you wont be satisfied. It is difficult for a start as it seems so indulgent and sinful and well just plain wrong. 20g of carbs (yes that is total amount ) doesn't go far. You have to have cream in coffee as milk would use all your carbs up quick smart. There is enough to have salad and veg with meals but no spud, pasta or bread. I would follow Diet Doc menus/plans to start if you like the look of them. Some people eat 50 or 100g carbs and it's still low enough to lose weight. However many need to go much lower. I can honestly say I have had gorgeous food so far but mainly grateful not to be hungry. Meals look disappointingly small due to lack of carbs but take as long to eat and I find far,far more satisfying. Early days,honeymoon period and all that good stuff so I am still being realistic and know I have felt this feeling on any new plan I have tried.

So Liverpool Uni how exciting,fingers crossed for him. What does your son want to study? It is really difficult when they go . All my friends said the same you feel bereft and think your heart will break. It really is that bad so be prepared. That said, we also all agreed that you get used to it very,very quickly. 1 or 2 weeks and you are well over it ! We all moan when our kids come home for more than a few days. My son came back to live with us for about a year after uni and I found it unbearable for about 2 or 3 weeks then it felt completely right and I sobbed again when he moved to his own place. Honestly Davina everyone I know experienced it in this way so very likely you will too :)

Good to hear you are warming to gardening. You'll be taping gardeners world next ! Ceanothus are gorgeous and last well for a few years (about 3) but are unreliable long term. Don't let that deter you though and you may be lucky with yours. Best advice for reliability is to see what your neighbors have planted that looks good and you like and copy them.

Speak soon x

Hi Les.

HFLC is high fat low carb. Sorry its nothing to do with Exante

I think when this thread started we were all doing exante and we did grand on it but not doing it anymore. Lots and lots of good luck to you and well done for sticking at it x

Guess who's going to Newcastle tomorrow? So excited !
Hello - sorry for the delay - I've had problems with my minimins account. Bloomin' typical! Wouldn't recognise my log in - a glitch apparently.

How did your mini fast go? You are so on it! I've been low calorie since the weekend but have had my Sainsbury shop delivered this morning with a stack of high protein, high fat, low carb "goodies" included. I've even ordered cauliflower rice. Blimey, I never thought I'd see the day! Yesterday my Id demanded cake so I has a mini battenburg thingy and a banana. Hit the spot but can't make it a habit.

Garden taming going well and I'm chipping away at it slowly - and yes, I'm bracing myself for September but am thinking about what a great time he'll have ( it's a 5 year course) and the visits I can make. Thank goodness for mobile phones and FaceTime etc.. I remember when I was a student having to queue up in halls to use the phone to ring my mum and dad. And getting handwritten letters in the post! It's his 18th on Sunday but poor thing is up to his ears in revision as are all of his friends so they've decided on a film and dinner rather than a night on the town! He and I will do something after his exams.

Most importantly of all - how was/is Newcastle?! Whereabouts are they living? There's a really thriving and young population in the city - lots of students and graduates who stay so I'm sure your daughter will have a happy time here for however long they live here.

Oh and it's weigh in day? Good luck though I know you won't need it. At this rate there's going to be "Not a lot of" Lottie :)

Speak soon x

It's lovely here Davina! Just back from Six restaurant it's by the Sage. Was nice, but no more than nice. Went to Marco's yesterday about the same. Going to the Life centre in the morning then heading home as my husband is away tomorrow night and don't like leaving the dog alone for too long. Pleased with how I've eaten. Food has been as good as possible whilst here. Have boozed though My daughter is living in Gateshead by salt burn park ? or summat similar. Seems nice.

Yes the keeping in touch is far easier now. A mixed blessing, A godsend when my daughter went to Thailand. I think kids sometimes text us every bad /sad thing that happens. A snapshot, then forget to text us when they're laughing their socks off 20 mins later !! We couldn't do that so our parents didn't have the worry. 18 on Sunday. How exciting! Hope he manages a bit of a celebration .

Fast was brilliant! Completely effortless. Ten times easier than Exante. Really don't know why. Had dinner on Sunday evening and didn't eat until Tuesday at 2pm. Can't believe I wrote that last sentence . Never hungry first few days of period so think that swung it.

So you are giving HFLC a try. Hopefully it will suit you. Eat the fat though, difficult as it is to get your head around copious amounts of Brie and butter that's what fills you up/satisfys you. If it doesn't suit you the world is your oyster diet wise. Find summat as does !

Off to bed now after a reAlly lovely day x

Ah I'm so pleased you've enjoyed your visit. Yes Six can be hit and miss though the views are good. Marcos is good for afternoon tea - definitely not low carb friendly though. Saltwell Park? Lovely. I sometimes drive over and take the dog there as there's a really big American style dog park where they can all have a good run and play.

Starting my low carb stint tomorrow - looking forward to some deliciousness! I'm actually feeling fitter which I'm sure is down to the gardening as I've been in it there doing a bit every day for the last couple of weeks.

Hope you've had another enjoyable day and a good trip south x

Saltwell park sounds right. I haven't heard of an American style dog park. I wonder if it's like that show that was on a few years ago where buff guy re trained dogs and their owners to be more socially acceptable. He had a yard with every type of dog. They got on brilliantly,sort of found their own level/position. Loved that show.

Glad to hear you are feeling fitter, bit of a buzz isn't it. My joints are feeling less stressed now :) Gardening makes you use muscles you had forgotten about !

I am still really enjoying my food and delighting in having no hunger. I fasted from dinner last night ( DD goats cheese pie. 1440 cals ! It was heavenly) until dinner tonight chicken curry with lots of coconut oil and cream. I made coconut flour naans which were not good. I will try cauli rice again,tried it before but tasted bitter. I love cauli too .

I can't believe how easy I have found fasting. It seems ridiculous. Exante is ten times harder! My fear is that I've found it ok because of my period. I feel little hunger around it. We will see soon enough.

Good luck with your food tomorrow,hope you enjoy whatever you have planned. Need details of your menu x

In the States they often have large penned off areas for dogs to be able to run about and play with other dogs and with seating etc. for owners. That's exactly what's in Saltwell Park.

I'm very impressed with your fasting and I'll try to give it a go later in the week. Whilst I might not fear feeling hungry, I worry about getting headaches if I don't eat at all but then I guess I won't know unless I try it!

I've been eating baked chicken wrapped in Parma ham with salad and a creamy fresh butter based sauce as well as bacon and scrambled eggs with cheese sauce and lots of baked salmon. Delicious! Today I have of course had some birthday cake...

Hope you've had a good weekend - every day we're getting smaller X

Of course It's your sons 18th today ! Hope he's had a fun day. First legal pint? Oh 18, Wham!, ra-ra skirts, No daytime tv. Thinking 9st 10lb was huge !!!

Re cake: My hero Fung says life is about celebrations and you should indulge on special occasions. Life affirming treats with no guilt . It's only a problem when we don't compensate by having less afterwards to regain balance. Simple but I kind of like it. I have shifted my view on this in a way I hope will be helpful. I always viewed it as gluttony / starvation. Actually it's neither it's just responding to an eating event sensibly.

Your food sounds lovely. I could eat all of that, really pleased you think it's delicious too. I'm not sure fasting is for everyone. Especially if you get headaches, that would be miserable. You could give it a try and see how you fare. If it doesn't suit you there are other ways to lose weight which do. Sounds as though you are doing great anyway :)

I have just had lunch today. Roast pork, cauli cheese, carrot and sweede mash, sage stuffing, buttered veg and jus. It was gorgeous. I'm not hungry so probably wont eat again today. I have a really distinct sense of clarity some of the time now that is new to me. Feel crap and low and blue some of the time too of course. But the bright non-sluggish thing is definately new or at least more accute.

will weigh on Wednesday x

Of course It's your sons 18th today ! Hope he's had a fun day. First legal pint? Oh 18, Wham!, ra-ra skirts, No daytime tv. Thinking 9st 10lb was huge !!!

Re cake: My hero Fung says life is about celebrations and you should indulge on special occasions. Life affirming treats with no guilt . It's only a problem when we don't compensate by having less afterwards to regain balance. Simple but I kind of like it. I have shifted my view on this in a way I hope will be helpful. I always viewed it as gluttony / starvation. Actually it's neither it's just responding to an eating event sensibly.

Your food sounds lovely. I could eat all of that, really pleased you think it's delicious too. I'm not sure fasting is for everyone. Especially if you get headaches, that would be miserable. You could give it a try and see how you fare. If it doesn't suit you there are other ways to lose weight which do. Sounds as though you are doing great anyway :)

I have just had lunch today. Roast pork, cauli cheese, carrot and sweede mash, sage stuffing, buttered veg and jus. It was gorgeous. I'm not hungry so probably wont eat again today. I have a really distinct sense of clarity some of the time now that is new to me. Feel crap and low and blue some of the time too of course. But the bright non-sluggish thing is definately new or at least more accute.

will weigh on Wednesday x

Well still mid-revision, he went out for food with his friends on Saturday night then lunch with his dad and step-mum yesterday and we're waiting till his exams are over to do something together. He did go to the local Tesco to buy a bottle of alcohol though, just because he could! Oh yes, 18 - feeling sophisticatd with a Babycham on a Friday night, ringing home from a phone box at the 6th Form disco to see if I could stay out after 11, Duran Duran and wild rock chick hair, those were the days.

That's a good philosophy on cake eating and celebrating. I like it. Life would be joyless otherwise. Some moments have to be marked appropriately and yesterday was definitely one of them. We had people dropping in all day with cards and gifts which was perfect - all in all quite an emotional day.

Going to try a fast later on in the week if I can. Today's main meal has been chicken spiced with cumin and paprika and shallow fried in coconut oil with cailiflower cous cous, peas and carrots and a buttery sauce. I did have a slice of toast with butter whilst on the run at lunch time though...

I usually get that clarity of thought thingy when on exante, it was also very pronounced on lighterlife but then I did that for a long time without any food. Explains why people fast as a religious observance I guess. Feeling blue some of the time is part of the rhythm of existing. Was discussing having purpose and meaning in life with someone today - and ruminating on my own. Will have to get back to you on that one!

Did lots in the garden this weekend and would have done more today but it has been raining relentlessly. I'm very pleased with myself - I've now turned over half of my lawn ready for it being returfed. I'm looking forward to stretching out on it with a good book more than anything though.

Looking forward to hearing about your weigh in - speak soon! x

Your sons 18th sounds perfect. So pleased for you both. One of those counting your blessings days. I love those, they're the nicest. I do actively try to live life in that mind-set as much as I can and am thankful that I live such a lucky,lucky life. Wish I could think like that all the time though. I would love to have a greater purpose in life. Mine really is reliant on being there for my kids, (hopefully I hide it from them) I don't think its terribly healthy. My problem is that I have little tenacity and am not at all brave !

Yesterdays food gave me little pleasure. Must try harder to widen the variety as food boredom is a slippery slope for me and I had wine last night. Eek a slippery slope which has been oiled ! I am ready for battle though. Defrosting my goats cheese spinich pie for dinner which is delicious and will go for a brisk paced walk in the woods later, the bluebells are eye stingingly glorious right now. My drug of choice in May.

What was the cauliflower cous-cous like? Did you make it yourself? I want to have a go at making celariac fritters. Thought I would grate it mix with spices and almond flour. Must put it on my shopping list. I'll let you know how they turn out along with my hopefully reduced scale reading tomorrow x

Back