Steaks

*angela*

Silver Member
Hello :)

I made steak and sw chips last night for dinner and need a bit of advice on the steaks.

Normally i cut all fat off before frying in fry light, my husband's steak had a decent enough bit of fat underneath in awkward places that I was unable to cut away but I cooked it along with mine which had all the fat removed. Would there be a syn value as they were cooked in the same pan? Also after the steaks were removed i fryed mushrooms and onions in the fry light - just hope i havent screwed up when I was trying to be good :(

Any advice much appreciated :)

x

Honestly, I wouldn't count any syns in that. If it makes you feel better, I used to cook the OH's bacon (with fat) in the same pan as mine and it never affected my weight loss, and then I'd do fried eggs and mushrooms in the pan if we were having a cooked breakkie.

Oh good news :) Ive been trying to keep my syns to a minimum the last couple of days as I'm out tonight for a meal so any syns wasted arent good. Thanks :)

Apologies for being a bit of a jobsworth, but personally I would count a few extra syns for that. If you cooked your mushrooms in meat fat every night it would have an affect on your weight loss.

Doing it once in a blue moon or on a good week won't make a difference, but if you are expecting to hit maxumum syns because of this night then I would allow a couple for these, if that makes sense?

As we are forever being told, you are only kidding yourself :(

Just have to add- don't start panicking over it. If you count the syns it isn't a screw up at all, it's just a rookie mistake that you've learned from and carried on x

There is a difference in how much fat is absorbed by different kinds of foods in cooking. Meat absorbs hardly any, so cooking the steak in the way you have described shouldn't be a problem.

Some things do absorb the fat, though - think about the way that aubergines soak up oil like a sponge. Mushrooms do as well.

AnnaFaraday said:
Some things do absorb the fat, though - think about the way that aubergines soak up oil like a sponge. Mushrooms do as well.

Hence why mushrooms become the tastiest food on earth when cooked in garlic butter!

Thanks for that, I might just count 2 extra syns to keep myself right ya know.

Can i just confirm something about the mushrooms, i always cook them this way after the steaks have been cooked and assuming its free - if the steak has all the fat removed (thats what i normally do) would they be free or should the juice off the steak it would cook in be synned?

I would have thought that was fine Angela. SW doesn't specify meat juices as being a problem, only the fat and if you cooked the same bit of steak in a casserole dish with your mushy's then it would be perfectly ok :)

Nice one, thanks for your help - much appreciated :)

Back