Sugar Alcohols and why Atkins Bars are evil.

Absolutely, they're great for emergencies when they save you reaching for dessert. It's just when they're eaten on a regular basis that problems often seem to start.

Can i just agree with this violently while making sure it stays bumped:)

After 1.5 yrs on the board i am still waiting for someone to stall on induction veg by eating too much:D so no excuses if bars are a regular feature.....
Ps just threw some out of date ones out - they taste disgusting now my taste has changed lol

I had one about a month in and felt so ill after eating only half. You can make much nicer sweet things with real food and no sugar alcohols if need be!

Hey guys just reading this and wondered if this has anything to do with actual alcohol??

Sorry if this is really dim but im just starting to have a look at the atkins threads as considering doing it after CD.xx

Yes and no - the article is about artificial sweeteners called sugar alcohols. Basically any sweetener ending in 'ol'.

They're called sugar alcohol because they mimic the effect of actual alcohol on the body - they're burned as fuel by the body ahead of fat and hence shouldn't be consumed too often (especially not during induction) as they may stall you.

ahhh I get it now!!!! Wow i am bad with these things!!! Stevia is that bad for you?

is it not a carb though as it says it has loads on the packet!!! Sorry for all the questions x

I'm afraid I'm not an expert on stevia - I use hermestas liquid - but as far as I know stevia is a plant extract which doesn't affect blood sugar and isn't absorbed by the body. It was I believe directly recommended by dr Atkins.

o wicked thats good then xxx

Many thanks ml, I am so glad to have read and understood this. It's a shame about the granulated splenda, it's the only sweetener that tasted bearable to me. I do have liquid Hermy, but don't particularly like it. Not to worry, if I want something sweet I'll have to like it!

You can always use tablet Splenda, either ground up or dissolved it a tiny amount of water? I used to do that with candarel before I switched to hermestas - have to say though that liquid H is my far the least artificial tasting sweetener I've ever tried. I really notice when I have to go back to canderel or Splenda now how artificial they taste in comparison. But all 3 are much much better than sugar alchohol.

I was reading one of the big paleo writers - one of the doctor types - a while ago saying if he eats anything with polyols he counts 3/4 of the carbs. So if the label says carbs 20g of which polyols 20g he would count 15g carbs for that item.

Not much of a carb saving when you consider how rubbish the stuff is for your insides.

Back