Sugar/sweetener alternatives

hexe

Hi all,

I have got to admit that, so far, I have not been able to find a good alternative to sugar in my cup of tea. Having tried all the artificial sweeteners I could possibly find in shops, they all taste horrendous in tea (I know, I am fussy). Apart from that I do not really wish to consume any more aspartame and its like than necessary. I pretty much waste most of my syns on sugar for 2 - 3 cups of tea per day and I just wish I could find a decent alternative.
I have bought agave nectar, which is ok, but still worth some syns.
Has anybody here tried natural sweeteners, such as Erythritol? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Jill x

You might not find this that helpful but when I first started SW I couldn't stand the taste of sweetner but I perservered with it. I now use splenda which is made from sugar anyway and can honestly say I now prefer it to normal sugar.

Or try substituting 1-2 cups of tea with fruit or herbal tea? They take some getting used to but I really enjoy them now :)

I never thought i'd break my tea and 2 sugars habit but I did it becasue to me, normal sugar isn't worth the syns.

If it is to you then carry on using it and enjoy it :)

You could try gradually weaning down the sugar, till you eventually don't need it at all in your tea or need very little.

Reduce the amount you use and once you adjust to that, then you can reduce again.

You could try gradually weaning down the sugar, till you eventually don't need it at all in your tea or need very little.

Reduce the amount you use and once you adjust to that, then you can reduce again.

Good thinking BritMum :)

Thanks a lot for your answers.
I have limited myself to two cuppas of "normal"tea per day. 2 syns with white sugar, or 1 syn with agave nectar. I do drink a lot of unsweetened herbal and fruit teas and the occasional cup of coffee (do not take sugar in coffee either).
I really do not want to start a debate on articifial sweeteners (such as aspartame, sucralose & co), but I am keen to keep my and my families consumption of that stuff to an absolute minimum.
I have ordered some erythritol after researching it on the web and will give this a try.
Meanwhile I stick to the agave syrup, only 0.5 syns/tsp ;) I was a proper "coffee girl" until my pregnancy with my youngest child, maybe I should try to train my taste buds back on it? Well, will go and dig the perculator out. :)
Hope you all have a fab Sunday
Jill x

Back