suggested replacement for pasta and rice??

zzjanliz

Hi everyone, I have just started a 1200 calorie, low GI diet and am struggling for ideas of what to do instead of my usually pasta or rice meal in the evenings...its just not satisfying without :sigh:

Do you all manage to stick to just meat and veg in the evenings or maybe you are all better than me at saving enough calories for your evening meal???? help please! xxxx

On the calorie counting board someone recently talked about grating cauliflower and using it as rice.

I still have pasta and rice but I've changed to brown and wholemeal, same cals but I know I'm getting some fibre. x

thanks lindsay, that sounds interesting haha. maybe i will give that a go....have you tried it? maybe there is a lower calories corn pasta or something in a health food store, i will have to have a look around

I don't often eat rice and I think my OH would have a fit if I tried to feed him grated cauliflower instead. So I've not had a go, but a few people seemed to be swearing by it over on Cal Counting. x

I really love my spuds but have managed to not have any, I hAve just had quorn or similar plus veg or salad for my evening meal, and no I have not missed having carbs. mashed cauliflower is really like potato , try adding butter buds to it to give it that creamy taste. Think if you just fill up your plate with veg you will be chewing for ages that you get full quite easily.

What a great idea..that actually sound quite nice. Thanks I will give it a try tonight. Think I am also going to try shirataki noodles as a low Cal filler

Hi eye6769, i just wanted to let you know that I tried you mashed cauliflower idea last night with some korn sausages and onion gravy, it was great! i mixed it with lots of pepper and low fat butter and it tastes amazing! thanks so much for the tip. Although it left me a bit gassy..haha! not sure by boyf apreciated it much ;-)

so, not sure if anyone is interested, but I recieved my zero noodles today and made a lunch stirfry with them using chicken breast, veg and spicy soy honey sauce. They were actually really yummy! they are a slightly different texture to normal noodles and dont have alot of taste but when mixed with the sauce they taste really yummy and are very filling. im very happy with them, although hopefully i can find somewhere locally that sell them so i dont have to pay postage ordering online.

Has anyone else had these...if so where did you get them from????? xx

so, not sure if anyone is interested, but I recieved my zero noodles today and made a lunch stirfry with them using chicken breast, veg and spicy soy honey sauce. They were actually really yummy! they are a slightly different texture to normal noodles and dont have alot of taste but when mixed with the sauce they taste really yummy and are very filling. im very happy with them, although hopefully i can find somewhere locally that sell them so i dont have to pay postage ordering online.

Has anyone else had these...if so where did you get them from????? xx

I will try these, I take it you ordered them online then?

thanks

yes i ordered them from zeronoodles.com but aparently you can get them in some asian supermarkets but they are in chinese though. im going to keep my eye out for them. let me know what you think of them? They must be new as i had never heard of them until now. enjoy!

hiya

im trying to do a 1200kcal and low carb diet too, managing the 1200kcal but not the low carbs!! I've been researching a lot lately on carb alternatives and theres the rice cauliflower as you know now but also courgette. If you use a speed peeler and slice into thin slices, let them dry out on a paper towel or cotton towel for up to 24hrs then these act like pasta or noodles and hold sauce well. I've literally just made them and they work really well.

Also, theres something called shirayaki noodles - you'll need to get them online or from asian supermarkets, there made from yam and are carb free pure fibre. My nearest asian supermarket is a train ride away, i'll most likely get some of these in the next few days so I'll let you know how they are!
I havent tried the cauliflower rice, I'm a bit put off because I hate the smell of it and probably the taste too! I dont want to waste it but I've got a feeling that because its in smaller chunks it might be bearable, so can anyone whose tried it tell me if it actually tastes like cauliflower?
Didnt know about zeronoodles though! Thanks :)

hi wildtrapeze, thanks so much for the tip about the courgette, i sounds lovely....do you just boil it after it has been left for 24hrs??? i will try that one for sure! The Zero Noodles are shirataki noodles, im guessing they are the english version, think i will be haveing them with every dinner from now on as they really fill me up and go with pretty much anything, last night i just put them with some stew and it was amazing! this low cal thing isnt as hard as i first thought, in fact im actually enjoying the process and the cooking which i tended to be lazy with before. So how long have you been on low cal? how much weight have you lost so far?? lots of luck! x

I sometimes have Pollenta instead of potatoes. It doesnt tast of much on its own but I bake it with some garlic and rosemary and its really nice.

I buy spagehetti from an online low carb webstore, its expensive but really good, however I make sure I have a really small portion of it even so. I count out 52 strands which has net carbs of 5g apparently. Its not a huge portion but it keeps my pasta craving under control.

And where do u buy it from?

Sent from my HTC using MiniMins

I tried Shirataki noodles last night with a bolognese sauce. Odd texture but surprisingly nice.

you can get the low carb pasta from lowcarbmegastore.co.uk. Its made from durm wheat but is a low carb formulation, tastes just like the real stuff

Back