Sunday Weighers... or is it only me?

Here at last!

I lost half a pound this week. I didn't deserve a loss and am mortified that I lost when better behaved folk gained. Just shows you how weird weight loss can be.

Today is a washout. Tomorrow is hopefully the start of an angelic run up to Christmas.

Well done all the Sunday Gang this week :D xxx

we've def lost a significant number of people over the last number of weeks! fingers crossed they're still hovering about and will post again when back on track

i know what you mean.... i think it's important to try and post each week... we know it's a roller-coaster but need to reports highs and lows... as difficult as that is!

Yes im a hover-er, not back on track yet but gonna try to post more! Been good today.

Heres a rollercoaster for you - started in mid June, got my 1.5 stone shiny mid August, put 10lbs on by mid Septmber, lost 7lb of that by mid October, weighed myself today and im 4lb heavier than when i started!:( Why do I do this?????

Samus xx

Yes im a hover-er, not back on track yet but gonna try to post more! Been good today.

Heres a rollercoaster for you - started in mid June, got my 1.5 stone shiny mid August, put 10lbs on by mid Septmber, lost 7lb of that by mid October, weighed myself today and im 4lb heavier than when i started!:( Why do I do this?????

Samus xx

((((Samus))))

You are doing one MAJOR thing for good in your battle ~ you keep coming back and showing up. That takes strength. You are an inspiration.

I'm not my heaviest ever but I've been messing arround with these few pounds for months...... Time I got off me backside.

Heres to a grand week for us ALL

Judith & Pickle the wonder dog

Thanks so much! A grand week for us all indeed!:)
Just ordered some stuff from Joes - xmas offer of free sausagemeat and chipolatas certainly cheered me up!

xxx

Cheers sausage! mmmmm.... sausages (joes syn free of course)
Just off to prepare slimming world compliant lunchbox for tomorrow - i can do this!
xxxx

By the way, I am starting a mini challenge tomorrow until Christmas...a minimum of 10 minutes exercise a day. It doesn't sounds like much, but I think it might make me mindful of the importance of me not being a lazy so-and-so.

I like the idea of an exercise challenge, it has proven to be a key factor in me losing weight. I think I'll try 3 times a week for me though. I already do boxercise and gym so I only need one more... Better get out the old exercise bike that's been sat upstairs since we moved!

A thought: Samus - were you 'too extreme' when you started ? I mean were you using your syns and eating enough ? I know for me, if I'm 'too strict', I can't keep it up. This has to feel like 'normal' eating eg a bit of chocolate/what I fancy (within syns) but not keeping my syns too low, otherwise I go off track.

Sausage - I like your exercise challenge. I have been RUBBISH since I started (apart from the killing 10k 'run' in May with little training - bleurgh). I don't think I could manage any more than 10 mins at the moment but I'll give it a go. Thanks.

Gail x

Sent from my iPhone

Thank you so much for all the kind words, really helpful. I feel kind of down today, I must be honest. It's not just the putting on two pounds, that's fine. It's the fact that I'm struggling to get a consistent weight loss going, despite putting in mostly 100% weeks all the time. At my weight, I should be seeing a regular drop in my weight. There are a few things panicking me.

- what if I can't get to goal? I've been doing this for 71 weeks, without bingeing or dropping off the healthy lifestyle. I feel I have little room to manoeuvre apart from tinkering, because I honestly am eating super well. That's why I'm upset and worried, because this sort of weight stall means I might need to review my eating.
- I obviously have issues about food, getting to the size that I am. I honestly do not want to cut back drastically on the amount of food I'm eating, because I think that might trigger a reaction whereby I stop this altogether. I don't want a drastic calorie reduction, although I am going to check out what I am eating through the week.
- My hip is killing me, and so walking has been on hold for a few months. I finally see the doctor on Friday, but it makes me apprehensive. I want to know if I should push through or not - the pain doesn't seem dependent on exercise at all, so maybe I can up my exercise? I don't want to do more damage than good. But it has to be good for my hip/side to lose weight, surely?

Anyway, I'm probably being self-indulgent. I am trying so hard though, and I want to see some results. I know it's good to maintain, and I know that I'm making good progress. The plan for this week is simple:

- stick to my healthy eating plan (all meals planned out)
- write down everything I eat and syn it all (so I can check out with people for advice on where I'm going wrong)
- try exercising three times this week for flexibility
- see the doctor on Friday and get some good opinions
- don't fret about the numbers on the scale so much, it's about a journey not a destination. The longer I keep this weight off the longer that I am likely to succeed.

Thanks for letting me rant!!!!

Thank you so much for all the kind words, really helpful. I feel kind of down today, I must be honest. It's not just the putting on two pounds, that's fine. It's the fact that I'm struggling to get a consistent weight loss going, despite putting in mostly 100% weeks all the time. At my weight, I should be seeing a regular drop in my weight. There are a few things panicking me.

- what if I can't get to goal? I've been doing this for 71 weeks, without bingeing or dropping off the healthy lifestyle. I feel I have little room to manoeuvre apart from tinkering, because I honestly am eating super well. That's why I'm upset and worried, because this sort of weight stall means I might need to review my eating.
- I obviously have issues about food, getting to the size that I am. I honestly do not want to cut back drastically on the amount of food I'm eating, because I think that might trigger a reaction whereby I stop this altogether. I don't want a drastic calorie reduction, although I am going to check out what I am eating through the week.
- My hip is killing me, and so walking has been on hold for a few months. I finally see the doctor on Friday, but it makes me apprehensive. I want to know if I should push through or not - the pain doesn't seem dependent on exercise at all, so maybe I can up my exercise? I don't want to do more damage than good. But it has to be good for my hip/side to lose weight, surely?

Anyway, I'm probably being self-indulgent. I am trying so hard though, and I want to see some results. I know it's good to maintain, and I know that I'm making good progress. The plan for this week is simple:

- stick to my healthy eating plan (all meals planned out)
- write down everything I eat and syn it all (so I can check out with people for advice on where I'm going wrong)
- try exercising three times this week for flexibility
- see the doctor on Friday and get some good opinions
- don't fret about the numbers on the scale so much, it's about a journey not a destination. The longer I keep this weight off the longer that I am likely to succeed.

Thanks for letting me rant!!!!

Honey39
I don't normally comment on peoples posts or not very often anyway, but felt that I had to comment on yours seeing as you are so unhappy with yourself at the moment.
I have been following your weight loss journey for quite a while and have to say that I am very impressed and you should be proud of how far you have come so far.
I totally understand that you are upset that you seem to have come to a standstill and your gain has not been that big considering how far you have come so far.
Do you not think that you might not actually be eating enough as when I don't I rarely lose weight if at all and if I don't have my syns, my loss seems to be slower.
A good idea with the diary and if you put it on here we could have a look to see if there is anyway any of us can help.
I have arthritis in my knee and was finding it really hard to exercise but since I have been using my exercise bike I have found that this has helped me a lot. I also think that using an exercise bike could also be good if you have a bad hip (not that I am an expert mind).

I am sure that you will soon start to see results again so keep at it and chin up xx

Sausage - I am joining you on the 10 mins a day challenge! I need to get off my backside and do something, so this will spur me on!

Honey - as someone else who has been doing this for a long time, I can totally understand your frustration. I know it's hard, but focus on how far you have come, not how far you have to go. Spend some time thinking about how much better you feel, not just physically, but mentally too. If you're anything like me, you're only just realising how miserable that extra weight made you feel - so celebrate how far you've come and recharge your batteries for the next stage.

I have been struggling for the last few weeks too. I don't think the time of year helps - it's dark, cold and miserable, the supermarkets are full of tempting christmas treats and we feel like turning to comfort food!

Your plan sounds sensible. We need to learn how to maintain, as well as how to lose!

I also agree that you shouldn't up the exercise until you've seen the Doc - it wouldn't be good to do something daft this week and postpone your return to fitness even longer! Have you thought about swimming? That's generally good exercise for people with joint problems...

I hope you have a fabulous week! x

Thanks all for the kind comments. It’s much appreciated, and I’ve decided to just not worry too much. I’ve been writing down everything I eat, and it’s been very illuminating to actually SYN everything again – I had got very casual about it. For instance, I had a stir fry tonight and used sunflower oil to cook with. I think I use about 2 teaspoons, which is 4 syns that I hadn’t calculated before. So that’s good.

I think my issue is that I panic about regaining the weight. And it’s not an unrealistic fear, as we know – the failure rate/regain rate is phenomenally high for dieters. I want to get to my goal weight and then work on maintenance. But I guess that I have to see these last three months as maintenance and success that way. I lost 96 lbs in my first year (to beginning of August), and then in the next three months I think I’ve lost about another 12 lbs. Which isn’t terrible, it averages a pound a week, and that’s great.

Anyway, my apologies for being so miserable on this thread – it was good to vent to a very supportive group, and to people I know will understand. I’ll be more outlooking this week and less about me, I promise!!!

And it’s not an unrealistic fear, as we know – the failure rate/regain rate is phenomenally high for dieters.

True, but we are not dieters. We are lifers! :D

Must be something in the air. My pal from my diary (ILoveCake) got blindsided by an unexpected 6.5 lb gain this week. I am so proud of her though as she went to her class this morning and owned it. Proud of you too Honeypie for not throwing a wobbly or running away :) x

Great that you have started a food diary and are already seeing potential niggles. I reckon we could eat the same food every day and still have weird results at our weigh in. For example, you could eat the same food at different times...eat too late in the day maybe. Or go too long without a snack to keep your metabolism ticking over. There are so many reasons for an unexplained gain after a 100% week. A detailed diary is an excellent troubleshooting tool.

Vent whenever you like, Honey! We are here to support each other and you have done your fair share over the past year-and-a-bit by inspiring others here with your success and resolve.

Oh, sorry for the ramble, I will say to you what I said to ILoveCake, a week of healthy eating is never a wasted week! You had a brilliant week with a bad result, but that is much healthier than having a bad result after eating crap :D

SS have you done your 10 mins? I've just done 25 mins of Pilates... Very painful! But I can see how it would definitely tone you up!

Honey,

Well done for taking a step back and looking at the bigger picture. To a certain extent, it's that old 'it's only a lb' thing whereas each lb adds up. I can appreciate that it still feels like a long way to go and therefore you feel that it should be faster but you are still consistently losing and you are cementing those new eating habits which will give you a real chance of keeping this off in the long term. I also think that you need to remember that you got new scales in the middle of this which may also have had an impact because that week you had an unexpected gain.

You really are an inspiration to many people here so please don't forget that :)

Gail x

Sent from my iPhone

True, but we are not dieters. We are lifers! :D

Must be something in the air. My pal from my diary (ILoveCake) got blindsided by an unexpected 6.5 lb gain this week. I am so proud of her though as she went to her class this morning and owned it. Proud of you too Honeypie for not throwing a wobbly or running away :) x

Great that you have started a food diary and are already seeing potential niggles. I reckon we could eat the same food every day and still have weird results at our weigh in. For example, you could eat the same food at different times...eat too late in the day maybe. Or go too long without a snack to keep your metabolism ticking over. There are so many reasons for an unexplained gain after a 100% week. A detailed diary is an excellent troubleshooting tool.

Vent whenever you like, Honey! We are here to support each other and you have done your fair share over the past year-and-a-bit by inspiring others here with your success and resolve.

Oh, sorry for the ramble, I will say to you what I said to ILoveCake, a week of healthy eating is never a wasted week! You had a brilliant week with a bad result, but that is much healthier than having a bad result after eating crap :D

Thank you Silly Sausage, that's such fab advice and so kind of you! I'm back in the groove, and feeling determined again, so that's good. It's actually reassuring to just carry on business as usual!

Honey,

Well done for taking a step back and looking at the bigger picture. To a certain extent, it's that old 'it's only a lb' thing whereas each lb adds up. I can appreciate that it still feels like a long way to go and therefore you feel that it should be faster but you are still consistently losing and you are cementing those new eating habits which will give you a real chance of keeping this off in the long term. I also think that you need to remember that you got new scales in the middle of this which may also have had an impact because that week you had an unexpected gain.

You really are an inspiration to many people here so please don't forget that :)

Gail x

Sent from my iPhone

Thank you lovely Gail! That's so kind of you - and a good reminder to me that I have got the new scales, so it's not quite a true reflection.

It's very quiet here - hopefully everyone is having a fab lead up to Christmas! I've been writing a food journal, and it was interesting how sloppy I'd gotten with this. Silly things, like using sunflower oil for my stir fries rather than spray lite, things like that. So I feel very focused and on track, and resisting all the candies and sweeties and cakes at work!! Two more weigh-ins for 2011 - it's hard to realise how quickly this year has passed, and I think a lot of us have been posting here consistently throughout 2011, so yay us!!!!!!!!!! I miss the people who have dropped off the radar through the year, but hopeful that they will all come back.

Anyway, thanks all! I'm going to have a super healthy day, with a lovely treat of options hot chocolate and nutmeg later on today, and just enjoy the day! It's not as stormy or wild here as it has been, but it is cold. The downside of losing weight is that I am absolutely perishing a lot of the time!!

Is there really only 2 weigh in's left in the year? Sounds so close when you put it that way! We were saying that we felt sorry for the Monday weighers having to weigh in on boxing day, but we do have to weigh in on new year's day... All that liquid :S haha. Good start to the year though! I'll take it as a good omen :)

Did another 25 mins of pilates last night, probably shouldn't as my stomach muscles were in great pain! Shows it works though! I'll have to mix it up with some aerobic exercise I think.

Back