Supplements

messyfreckle

I've had a quick scout around the forum reading up on posts about supplements like psyllium husks and the like.

I just had a further few questions to ask, that I couldn't see answered on any of the other threads.

Boots do a diet plan (LCD or similar), called Tony Ferguson. They have a fibre supplement and a chromium supplement, and I just wondered whether they would be beneficial.

I've been looking into psyllium husks for a few days as my excretions, shall we say, are not as they should be! But saw the chromium ones from the same range which interested me, too. I'm on day 13 of this at the moment and am still yet to feel this elusive burst of energy! The Chromium tablets are supposed to help with that.

I might not end up getting either of these, but a generic version of the same thing. Just wondered what other people's opinions on them are.

Do any of you take any other supplements?

Last edited:
I take a multivitamin, a b vitamin complex, evening primrose oil, an iron tablet (I tend towards anemia), coenzyme q10 and "joint ace".

I used to work for the biological sciences department at a major university, and one professor was constantly telling people that just because you consume vitamins through food, your body doesn't necessarily absorb all of them. Same with supplements, a lot of the actual contents of the supplement will just come out in your urine. So getting vitamins both through food and through supplements helps it to even out. I checked this with my doctor at the time and he said it was true.

I do feel much more energetic when I consistently take my b vitamins and iron. If you have always been fatigued, not just on the diet, it's good to get your iron levels checked (and thyroid) especially if you are like me and barely eat any red meat or spinach.

I tried chromium once and it didn't do a lot for me. Everyone is different. :)

I take a multivitamin, a b vitamin complex, evening primrose oil, an iron tablet (I tend towards anemia), coenzyme q10 and "joint ace".

Oooh iron tablet would probs be a good idea -as I do have VERY heavy periods and don't eat red meat! Always feel rather tired, never fully awake. But I didn't think you could take iron tablets without a prescription? I was under the impression they were bad for you if not needed.

Hmm. Will have to look into it. Which brand ones do you take?

Theres no need whatsoever to take supplements on a VLCD, everything you need is in the packs.

The Boots one is like Asda/Tesco its a LCD not a VLCD, and youll have food with it so its totally different

I used to work for the biological sciences department at a major university, and one professor was constantly telling people that just because you consume vitamins through food, your body doesn't necessarily absorb all of them.

I agree to some extent, my body doesnt absorb the vitamin B12 from food or medication, therefore i have to have it injected quite often. I know the packs give us all we need, but maybe our bodies arent up to absorbing certains things?? x

chromium helps to regulate blood sugar, I don't think you'd need it on a vlcd because your sugars are always nice and low anyway. And as starlight says, all your needed vits are in exante anyway... if you look at the back of the shake/soup pack it lists them all.

Overdosing some vitamins long term can harm your health too.

Back