Susie's 2022 campaign

Good luck for tomorrow night. Have the munchies been a bit better? Was trying to think about what you could do to help in the evening? Do you have the "little book of light bites" its all snacks & lots are free and speed foody so really great for nibbling on.

The munchies have eased off, thanks hun, but I'll check out the light bites book at class tomorrow!

Is the plan to rent your current place for a while whilst you explore your options? I love the idea of France / Italy but the NHS and social care in the UK is very comforting when I think about my old age (although who knows what either will be like in the 20 odd years until I'm retired?!) Will you leave your current job no matter what? If so a long holiday / recce in France could be a good way to explore the options more closely x

Thanks for giving it so much thought lovie - I know I change my mind more often than my knickers :)D) but I also know that's just down to uncertainty, and the need to get this right. I've never had this much money to decide what to do with, and I don't want to bugga it up! I'll try and put my thoughts down as clearly as I can - then welcome everyone's thoughts.

The big aim for myself is to take early retirement. I'm 54 this year, no husband/kids so flexible in location as long as Orbit comes too. I really want to grow my own veg, live off the land a bit but not go completely hermit-like, have people around, etc. Some days i want an adventure in the sun, other days i want to play it safe!

Location choices are UK, France or Italy -

1. UK - it's familiar, I speak the language, less hassle with swapping cars, residency, etc - but financially I can't retire, I will have to get a mortgage and keep working for at least 5 years, probably 10, because the money I will inherit will only buy me a 1 bed flat at the coast, small garden, no sea view. But it's safe and when I get the wobbles, it seems the best option.

2. France - I speak a (very) little French, like French food, wine, etc, can get a lovely 2-3 bed village home with a garden and still have £50K in the bank. If it all goes belly up I can still come back to the UK!

Downsides -
- cost of living is closer to the UK, so I'm not sure if I would have enough money to take retirement now, with a pension 14 years off.
- some French can be a bit stiff so it might be hard to meet people
- need to pay for private healthcare - about £2,500 a year
- well out of my comfort zone

3. Italy - I speak less Italian than French but a mate does Italian courses over there so I'd join her class. Again, I can get a nice 2-3 bed house with a garden for Orbit and veg growing, and have the same amount of money in the bank - but cost of living is much cheaper, I could realistically live off the London rental income after my mortgage is paid off. And I know a handful of people there.

Downsides -
- further from UK
- I don't know the language so there are going to be hard moments.
- private healthcare - cheaper than France - but still payable
- there are rumours that the region's airport might get sold to the Russians (although I don't think that will happen and anyway Rome is 2 hours away).

Other random thoughts are - I like French houses better than Italian ones - but in Italy I can afford a distant sea view - and would have money to put in a new K and B, etc.

So ladies - there it is. Cast your votes! :)

Last edited:
Its so tricky & not sure how you come to a decision - unless lotto win and then have UK pad & holiday home?!

How long until your UK mortgage is paid off? Is the aim to keep that as a back up if France or Italy whereas sell it if you choose UK seaside? I like the idea of retiring early and that seems only to be an option if you go abroad. If you stayed in UK could you go p/t or at least change to job away from Mr SP?

I favour Italy if you decide to go abroad for a few reasons (not necessarily helpful to your decision though!) I like the country & the people better. I think you'll find it easier to build a life there (based on two ex colleagues who bought second homes there and one friend & one relative who bought in France) and I think Italian food fits better with SW:8855:

As someone who has moved countries (have you ever done so before? sorry, not sure!), my vote is for trying it on for about 6 months, if at all possible. In my experience of talking to fellow immigrants, if you're going to hate it, give up, and go home, you'll probably do so in the first six months. That's when culture shock hits the hardest, because EVERYTHING is new and different and scary.

Of course, I spoke the language, since I moved from the US to here. Mostly, anyway. ;) But culture shock is a pretty universal language, and it hits some people harder than others. Sometimes people click fine with a country when they visit on holiday, but living there every day makes them hate the place. And sometimes they fall more and more deeply in love with their new home. No telling which it'll be for you unless you do it.

For what it's worth, moving countries was the best thing I ever did for myself. So I'm pretty much always going to say, "YES! Do it! Have the adventure!" But... with caution. A careful adventure. :)

Are you only looking at houses in the south of the UK? Could you be flexible in your location? The North and Wales are much cheaper and both coast-lines are pretty fab.

Thanks to you all - great to read your posts :)

Shelley - I keep veering back to Italy too, and I agree, I think they are nicer people too on the whole :). And I want to keep my London flat as my pension - because rents here are so high, it gives me a little income wherever I go. The mortgage is paid off in 14 years, so then I get more of the rental income to live on, and the pension kicks in then too.

GSP - I'm from NZ, so moved first to Oz, then the UK, then back to Oz, then back to the UK :D So I'm pretty adaptable when it comes to new cultures, and I've been going to the Abruzzo for about 8 years now, so feel comfortable with living a simple Italian life. I agree completely that it's a sensible idea to rent for 6 months and try it out. All the people on the expat forums say the same thing - but I can't resist a bargain, and a 2-3 bed house with courtyard, garden, big rooms and nice views for £20K is too much to resist :D. If i get sick or don't like it after a few years, then I haven't thrown all my inheritance money away in one go and can still come back to the UK and buy a little retirement flat somewhere. A cautious adventure :D

Essie - I did consider other areas, but (I hope this comes out right) when I think of Italy it seems much closer and more like home than Wales (which isn't always too welcoming to the English - wonder what they think of Kiwis!) or the North. I did spend an entire weekend going through every county on Rightmove and seeing what I could afford for £50K (leaving me £30K in savings to live on) - and the answer was, not much! A property costing more than that will require that I go back to work.

Reading back over this - it sounds like Italy wins, doesn't it?...All reliant on when the NZ house sells, of course. And in the meantime I've got apps in for two jobs down the coast, and if i get one, will try that out for a bit and see how I get on!

Last edited:
Ooh, decisions, decisions! I know I could never be adventurous enough to move to a different country, but you obviously are, as you've already done it. I think the Italian option probably sounds the most attractive, both financially and in terms of the country. I'd love to be able to retire early, but think I'll be slaving away until I'm 67, so another 14 years, lol. :) xx

hi susie
i agree with the girls italy to me is the option x x

GSP - I'm from NZ, so moved first to Oz, then the UK, then back to Oz, then back to the UK :D So I'm pretty adaptable when it comes to new cultures, and I've been going to the Abruzzo for about 8 years now, so feel comfortable with living a simple Italian life.
Oh, you'll be fine, then! And yeah, that sounds like an amazing bargain--and relatively easy to get out of if you find that you absolutely hate life there. You could do a lot worse than trying on 6 months of Italian sun and food. ;)

I will settle it for you. Move to Ireland ;) near me. Xx

Rach you may just be onto something, girl! I've been to Dublin a few times but beyond that my only knowledge of the country is from Ballykissangel :)

What do you think of Tipperary? I didn't think I could afford it - but a quick scan on Rightmove is showing lots of properties for under £50K. I really like the potential of this one - 3 bedroom terraced house for sale in 47 Glen Court, Emly, Tipperary, Ireland

So - we have a Plan D :D

I have never really been to tipperary, I am in the next county. But there is some lovely countryside all around Ireland and some beautiful beaches. Most people are extremely friendly, more so than in the UK. You should take another holiday here but come further down the country from Dublin and you will see the real Ireland. Xx

I've been many years ago and it's beautiful and very friendly. But that house gets the thumbs down from me I'm afraid. That is NOT a Susie house it's just a box lol. Where's the character and charm that's in your soul? Now a nice cottage at the end of a village could be that plan d :D xx

Hear you loud and clear Lisa sweetie :D How's this? 3 bedroom cottage for sale in Mayo, Claremorris, Ireland

Loads like that one, some quite rural but strangely I don't mind that.

Not at work today, got a terrible migraine last night and still got it today, went to work but SPB sent me home (he has so many sick days he can't be critical when I'm not well). Had a few hours sleep but woke up freezing! Will head out soon to SW, I really don't want to miss a class, even for a gain!

Sxxx

Just home and I am SOOOOOO happy, lost 2 1/2lbs, shared Slimmer of the Week and got my Club 10!!!!!

I had a little cry on the scales lol - then again in group - but everyone was so brilliant about it :D. I've never lost this much without falling off the wagon before, and I guess it hit me that I'm ACTUALLY GOING TO DO THIS :D:bliss:

Celebrating with SW chips and sossies in a mo :) xxxx

Well done Susie. That's fab. And you deserve it xxx

That's awesome! Well done. :D

That's a great feeling, isn't it? That, "OMG I am actually sticking with it this time!" feeling. Wish we could bottle it up to bring out at low moments.

Back