Susie's 2022 campaign

aw sorry to hear the plans had to change, but I'm happy you're still planning a new adventure regardless.

I harbour a dream of selling up and buying a campervan 🤣 totally unrealistic with kids though. need to wait for them to grow up

campervan would work for me too (if i could have a trailer for my office LOL) (not sure what I would do with my lil hop a long daughter tho - maybe wait till shes fixed heh)

Reading about your travel plans and cancellations and moving plans and then on hold and more moving plans.....Susie does your mind ever stay still. Never mind RLS, I think you have Restless Brain Syndrome and a large dose of Wanderlust😀.
Things will work out, the journey is as if not ore important than the destination.

Morning team fab!

Another week, another "where do I live?" plan - NAHHHHH just kidding, just wanted to keep you all on your toes LOLOLOL. Restless Brain Syndrome - I love that. And wanderlust - oh definitely, it's something they put in the water in NZ, all Kiwis are like this.

I have in fact decided to stop thinking long term and just do a bit of day to day living instead. A friend commented on my doing this and it really hit me, I've been so busy looking forward that I forgot to enjoy the things I'm doing now. I also realised I could be doing more to meet people locally, so got three clubs to join this week - Mahjong, bridge and canasta.

Doing Ok on LC - the weight is going up and down a bit, but I've realised (after consumption) that I gain quite a lot when I have cream. Doing quite a few carnivore days and loving them, and really enjoying cooking again. The KFC FB groups are very supportive, and there's so many recipes, I'll never get bored!

I also used my new (2nd hand) bread maker (£8 yaye) to make up some of the KFC megga bread and it came out perfectly, very happy about that.

Today -
B - 3 small chicken rissoles and coffee
L - l/o chicken goujons in a vital wheat gluten coating, with something else, not sure what yet
D - cauliflower cheese and green beans

Have a loverly day x

I WANT to spend hours cooking scrummy stuff but I am such a lazy cook. I think its more because I have my pc / office in my bedroom and hang there most of the time vs in the living room/next to the kitchen so its a hassle to keep my eye on stuff.

New clubs sounds like a great plan to me.

Have a fabby day x

I actually do a lot of the cooking at night when I can't sleep, or when RLS (the leg variety lol) strikes.

B-U-T stop the presses - I've been using a Feather & Down magnesium body butter all over me for the last few days and got 8 hours sleep in 3 lots last night - amazing!!!! Third night in a row I've had a decent sleep, so am hoping it will get me back to good sleep patterns.

I have read that magnesium is good for helping prevent or lessen the effects of restless leg syndrome. I know what it is like to survive on very little sleep. It took me nearly a year to get back to a better sleep pattern. Not perfect by any stretch of the imagination but much improved for me. From not even making it to bed as my leg hurt so much so was nodding in a chair. Not great for your back or rear end I can vouch for that.

Oh love it's awful not having enough sleep eh? I'd tried all sorts of magnesium (who knew there were so many!) in tablet form, plus rubbed mag oil onto my knees a few times a night, but read somewhere that low calcium levels can also contribute to RLS so I bought a mag/calcium combo, plus ACV tablets, and those plus my usual electrolyte drink (ACV, lemon, potassium, salt) seem to be really helping.

I am back on one Tramadol a night when it gets really bad, Co-codamol didn't help at all - but this F&D mag cream is making a real difference to sleep, so much so that I'm no longer wandering the house like a fat old wraith in the wee hours, looking for things to do to distract myself from the twitching and pain. And I actually have to batch cook during the day instead lol. Bliss!

Had great plans to go out for a walk earlier, but it's a bit on the nippy side here, so I went to read in the bedroom at 2pm, and woke up 90 mins later. Oops :D.

I was advised in our health food shop that magnesium absorbed through the skin works better that supplements. And that you should rub it on your abdomen rather that where the actual problem is. If I feel leg cramps coming on I do all 3👍 and cover all bases so can't actually say which one is more effective.

wow I'm so happy you've found something that works!

I think your friend is correct by the way. We all look ahead and we all look back but to spend as much of our mental energy as possibly actually in the 'now' is much more beneficial.

new groups sound great, hope you have lots of fun.

I was advised in our health food shop that magnesium absorbed through the skin works better that supplements. And that you should rub it on your abdomen rather that where the actual problem is. If I feel leg cramps coming on I do all 3👍 and cover all bases so can't actually say which one is more effective.

Sounds like a plan, will try that tonight, thanks. My sleep is definitely improving, got 7 hours in 4 lots last night. Got up at 6, put some LC bread mix in the bread maker, then went back to bed with tea and a LC calzone (a toasted KFC pizza base with melted cheese and a Bratwurst, folded over - lovely!), and woke again at 9.30am. Lucky I'm not working full time! :D.

B - calzone
L - cauli pizza casserole
T - spicy pork belly bites and green beans/avocado salsa topping

Have a nice day, all x

'glad you are finding relief. Often takes a long time of trial and error to see what works for you. What works for one doesn't for another. My husband can't take tramadol he hallucinates on it lol Yet my father use to take it and it gave him relief with very little if any side effects. I didn't realise that magnesium came if many different forms I take tablets plus carbamazepine /gabapentin and codydramol at night for pain and this helps to some degree. Still get rough nights but heaps better than I was.

Are you finding taking that tramadol break is still making them effective?
Glad you are the well rested goddess that you should be :D

Hello all

Been a busy old time lately, but the flat has finally sold, so I'm now sorting out what to do. Have decided that a big move back to NZ is just going to be too much - I forget that I'm a bit decrepit these days and don't have the energy for something like that, plus it would require working fulltime there to make ends meet, which i don't fancy. So at the moment I'm planning a 6-8 week holiday back early next year, dependant on Omicron, of course!

Food wise, I've been more or less on plan with LC, although it's taken a carby/sweet tooth hammering lately - so decided not to pile up the guilt, just try and do the best I can right now, and focus properly the other side of New Year.

Hope you're all well, will go do catch upo on diaries shortly xx

Catching up. Good decision not to commit yourself have to work - and go on holiday instead. I'm also n=being relaxed over the next 10 days - mostly low carb with some seasonal extras and some alcoholic drinks. No visitors and no family. So it's just me and Mr AliGal, and he's not well and a bit grumpy! I'm glad your flat has sold. Good to have that done so you can start 2022 without it and enjoy your trip.

Great news on the flat selling Susie, it's taken a while and one more thing to mark off your list. When are you hoping to get to NZ, I'm sure with COVID and differing restrictions around the world it's not going to be easy.

Morning all - I'm still here although diet plans have gone out the window completely over Christmas/New Year - oh my there was no stopping me! it didn't help that I got omicron 2 weeks ago - at least I think it was, because the LF tests I ordered arrived yesterday (!) and there are no PCRs to be had in the county. But I had key symptoms - runny nose, sore throat, etc, so self isolated anyway although i only had these symptoms for 2-3 days, then felt fine. Just shows you how virulent the thing is, the only exposure I had was 5 mins with an unmasked grocery delivery man.

Keto is out too. After a little respite from RLS it got a million times worse! Over a few weeks I took food types out, added some in, and it turns out that the high protein/fat approach is the culprit, to the extent that I was getting only an hour's sleep a night, if that. I introduced carbs back in to my food and hey presto, the RLS eased up quite a bit - hasn't stopped, sadly, I've got it going on now, but it's more manageable.

So I've had to flip my approach back to carbs and low fat. I'm heading back to SW too, it's the plan I lost the most weight on. I was going to go on Thursday but a foot of snow in 3 hours made me decide to stay indoors instead - so next Thursday is the new start date :) :). In the meantime I'm using up LC meals I'd made up and avoiding fats when i can - and once i start, will be much more focused and dedicated to recording food here and in a journal, and picking up as much advice as possible from people who have lost well on the plan (don't eat bucketloads of pasta, being a key one!).

Really need to get some weight off quickly though, my hip is starting to hurt (channelling @tipperary!) a lot, and I've also bought a flight home in March for six weeks woohoo! Can't wait to see everyone - but I have a feeling that, although i will love being back, that it won't feel like home anymore. Be good to feel finally settled in my mind.

Off to catch up on diaries now xx

Last edited:
Morning all - I'm still here although diet plans have gone out the window completely over Christmas/New Year - oh my there was no stopping me! it didn't help that I got omicron 2 weeks ago - at least I think it was, because the LF tests I ordered arrived yesterday (!) and there are no PCRs to be had in the county. But I had key symptoms - runny nose, sore throat, etc, so self isolated anyway although i only had these symptoms for 2-3 days, then felt fine. Just shows you how virulent the thing is, the only exposure I had was 5 mins with an unmasked grocery delivery man.

Keto is out too. After a little respite from RLS it got a million times worse! Over a few weeks I took food types out, added some in, and it turns out that the high protein/fat approach is the culprit, to the extent that I was getting only an hour's sleep a night, if that. I introduced carbs back in to my food and hey presto, the RLS eased up quite a bit - hasn't stopped, sadly, I've got it going on now, but it's more manageable.

So I've had to flip my approach back to carbs and low fat. I'm heading back to SW too, it's the plan I lost the most weight on. I was going to go on Thursday but a foot of snow in 3 hours made me decide to stay indoors instead - so next Thursday is the new start date :) :). In the meantime I'm using up LC meals I'd made up and avoiding fats when i can - and once i start, will be much more focused and dedicated to recording food here and in a journal, and picking up as much advice as possible from people who have lost well on the plan (don't eat bucketloads of pasta, being a key one!).

Really need to get some weight off quickly though, my hip is starting to hurt (channelling @tipperary!) a lot, and I've also bought a flight home in March for six weeks woohoo! Can't wait to see everyone - but I have a feeling that, although i will love being back, that it won't feel like home anymore. Be good to feel finally settled in my mind.

Off to catch up on diaries now xx
Oh poor you, rotten time eh. I hope SW helps with your weight. I confess I thought they were erring toward LCHF! But I am only going by what people have said. A possible solution would be Whole30. The website is full of info, its really great. I had downloaded the book AGES ago. Never used it. Last year we had a 3 month lockdown and I began putting on weight, so I decided to look into Whole30. I followed it and lost weight. The 30 is all about eliminating things that could cause issues. At the end of the full 30 days, you can gradually reinstate foods to see what you can get away with having. People use it for their health and to control weight. The site and book is great. I had got the Kindle download when it was on offer, it might be 99p currently which is same price as I paid 4 years ago, so a REAL bargain. The follow up book 'It Starts With Food', I have but haven't read through it properly (confession). 'Do The Thing', is her podcast. She's also on Instagram. Whole30 - Community and Whole30 - Recipes Official pages and Melissa Urban's page on Facebook I suppose her maiden name was Hartwig.

Last edited:
Back