SW the Vegan or Vegetarian way....

So glad I found this forum!
Im on my 3rd week of slimming world and have been a lacto-vegetarian for 1.5yrs for ethical reasons. I have attempted veganism a good 5times but also given in because I rely on eggs quite a lot, haven't found any vegan yogurts I like or vegan milk which still tastes like cows milk in tea. The idea of dairy farming really repulses me but I cant seem to make the shift once and for all :( any tips?!

Have you tried Alpro yogurts or the Tesco free from ones? What about Oatly milk? :)

For the chilli, I chopped an onion, 2-3 carrots, a whole bundle of celery, red pepper, green pepper, yellow pepper and a punnet of mushrooms... Popped in slow cooker with 2 x tins of chopped toms, spices (cumin, chilli powder, cayenne pepper, garlic granules, paprika, ground coriander) and some tomato purée then added one tin each of kidney, cannellini, haricot and mixed bean salad. My slow cooker was literally stuffed!! I got a lot of the ingredients from Lidl too so was really reasonable to make :)

For the rice pudding, I boiled 50g of pudding rice in a saucepan with some water (sorry no measurements, I did it all by eye!) and then when it had started to go soft, I mixed in some of the Tesco "Free From" chocolate coconut milk and kept adding more as required until it went nice and soft. I didn't measure the milk (naughty Lil!) but I'm struggling to use my HExAs so figured it would be ok!

Thanks will give that a go, did you leave it on low overnight? did the liquid reduce? will try the rice pud as well!

How long have you got left of your vegan week? would you mind giving me a typical days eating plan of yours on a vegan week? like to get as many ideas as poss :)

For the chilli, I chopped an onion, 2-3 carrots, a whole bundle of celery, red pepper, green pepper, yellow pepper and a punnet of mushrooms... Popped in slow cooker with 2 x tins of chopped toms, spices (cumin, chilli powder, cayenne pepper, garlic granules, paprika, ground coriander) and some tomato purée then added one tin each of kidney, cannellini, haricot and mixed bean salad. My slow cooker was literally stuffed!! I got a lot of the ingredients from Lidl too so was really reasonable to make :)

For the rice pudding, I boiled 50g of pudding rice in a saucepan with some water (sorry no measurements, I did it all by eye!) and then when it had started to go soft, I mixed in some of the Tesco "Free From" chocolate coconut milk and kept adding more as required until it went nice and soft. I didn't measure the milk (naughty Lil!) but I'm struggling to use my HExAs so figured it would be ok!

I popped it on high at around 6.30pm without the beans... then added the beans at about 8.30pm after my spin class... kept it on high until about 1.30am then came downstairs and turned it off. Not sure about liquid as I was half asleep but will check tonight and report back!

I started on Tuesday so doing it until at least Monday next week. I'll post my last couple of days below... syn values are in brackets :)

Thursday 7th August - Green
B - porridge and banana
L - tabbouleh (2 for EV oil)
D - veg and bean chilli
Snacks - vegan choc rice pudding, strawberries, melon, homemade vegan air popped salty popcorn at the cinema (6)
HExA - choc rice milk / vegan milk for coffees
HExB - 35g porridge oats / not sure what else to have, maybe almonds?!
Syns - 8

Wednesday 6th August - Green
B - porridge and banana
L - tabbouleh (2 for EV olive oil) with lettuce wraps
D - JP, beans and 2 x linda mccartney red onion and rosemary sausages
Snacks - apple, trail mix (?), pickled onions, fruit salad of melon/strawbs/bloobs/raspbs, 4 x dark choc rice cake thins (11)
HExA - KoKo milk / tesco free from choc and coconut milk
HExB - 35g porridge / tweak to count the trail mix?
Syns - 13

Tuesday 5th August - Green
B - Porridge
L - Kale tabbouleh (kale, pomegranate, mint, parsley, quinoa, bulghar wheat, cucumber, tomato, spring onions, lemon zest, lemon juice and EV olive oil)
D - Baked bean lasagne and salad
Snacks - 2 x clementines, cocoa orange nakd bar (7), frozen banana dipped in dark choc and flaked almonds (7/8?)
HExA - coconut milk / tesco free from hard cheese
HExB - 35g porridge oats / EV olive oil
Syns - 15

Thanks for the ideas! never had tabbouleh so may give that a go

Bought river cottage veg cookbook and there are some good stuff in there, having cauliflower and chickpea curry tomorrow night and next week will try the pinto bean chilli

I popped it on high at around 6.30pm without the beans... then added the beans at about 8.30pm after my spin class... kept it on high until about 1.30am then came downstairs and turned it off. Not sure about liquid as I was half asleep but will check tonight and report back!

I started on Tuesday so doing it until at least Monday next week. I'll post my last couple of days below... syn values are in brackets :)

B - porridge and banana
D - veg and bean chilli
Snacks - vegan choc rice pudding, strawberries, melon, homemade vegan air popped salty popcorn at the cinema (6)
Syns - 8

B - porridge and banana
Snacks - apple, trail mix (?), pickled onions, fruit salad of melon/strawbs/bloobs/raspbs, 4 x dark choc rice cake thins (11)
Syns - 13

B - Porridge
L - Kale tabbouleh (kale, pomegranate, mint, parsley, quinoa, bulghar wheat, cucumber, tomato, spring onions, lemon zest, lemon juice and EV olive oil)
Snacks - 2 x clementines, cocoa orange nakd bar (7), frozen banana dipped in dark choc and flaked almonds (7/8?)
Syns - 15

B - porridge and banana
D - veg and bean chilli
Syns - 8

B - porridge and banana
Syns - 13

B - Porridge
Syns - 15

Vegan cheese doesn't count as a HeA I'm afraid because of the calcium content :(

That's alright, I don't think I'll be having it again anyway! Wasn't a fan!

Can I ask what you vegans do when you go out for food? Are there certain restaurants that are better than others or certain things on standard menus that are good to go for?

Heading away this weekend with my bf and we normally head out for at least one meal but I'm a bit unsure as to where to steer him to, or what would be good to order when I get there! x

I was going to ask the same question!

last weekend I went to Prezzo and I had penne arrabiata and as I had used my A choices I had without cheese and it was lovely, I think that would be vegan
That's alright, I don't think I'll be having it again anyway! Wasn't a fan!

Can I ask what you vegans do when you go out for food? Are there certain restaurants that are better than others or certain things on standard menus that are good to go for?

Heading away this weekend with my bf and we normally head out for at least one meal but I'm a bit unsure as to where to steer him to, or what would be good to order when I get there! x

Vegan cheese doesn't count as a HeA I'm afraid because of the calcium content :(
You can have 2 x 20g Pure Cheddar Style Soya Slice as a HexA, (listed on the SW website). I've never had it so can't vouch for its cheesiness!

Hi! I'd love to join - been truly vegetarian for a couple months and also leaning a little vegan too. I've never been a big meat eater (did mostly green on sw 8 years ago) and this started a mix of preference and ethically, and has gone into full blown repulsion - I just found out I'm a couple of weeks pregnant and it seems that like my first pregnancy I can't even smell or look at meat! I want to try to be less of a gigantic whale this time so here I am (sensibly, of course!) :)

Calling all vegan box subscribers! Mine arrived this morning, quite a good box this time but won't spoilt the surprise for those that have not received :)

Oh I'm excited maybe mine will come too! I'll check in when the postman has been. Did it come normal post?

Hi! I'd love to join - been truly vegetarian for a couple months and also leaning a little vegan too. I've never been a big meat eater (did mostly green on sw 8 years ago) and this started a mix of preference and ethically, and has gone into full blown repulsion - I just found out I'm a couple of weeks pregnant and it seems that like my first pregnancy I can't even smell or look at meat! I want to try to be less of a gigantic whale this time so here I am (sensibly, of course!) :)

Pregnancy does funny things to you like that! I went off tea totally. It tasted like hot ashy water. Weird. Oh and I didn't eat hot food for about 2 months. Happy to see another one of us on here! :)

You could go halfway and go veggie :) I'm not 100% vegan because I still eat eggs and the very very occasional piece of cheese :)

anyway whats to say you ever have to leave anyway? :) x

Have you tried Alpro yogurts or the Tesco free from ones? What about Oatly milk? :)

Yeah tried all 3 :( the best milk I decided on is the soya milk light (red carton) but it still doesn't make tea taste like a good old cuppa, I'm a bit of a tea addict and its what I always give into with milk! I think I've tried all the varieties of milk, and wasted alot of money in the process!
Xx

I know! I def think I'll do vegan weeks more often... I do love a cheeky steak though... (is that a swear word on this thread?! ;))

I do actually eat quite a lot of veggie food already as my sister is a veggie so when I'm spending time with her or we go away for a weekend, I tend to cook only veggie meals. I do like a few red days though on SW to get a decent loss. I def don't think I lose as much on green.

This would be a good place to hang around then. I think as it builds we may get some very nice ideas :). I'm not being very vegan today as I'm having an omelette for lunch but I should imagine its like everything, moderation is key :)

Back