Sweeteners?

MrB

Hi,

I am currently into week 3 of a ss programme. I lost a stone in the first 2 weeks, and during this time it was strictly water and black coffee and tea with no sweeteners. I checked my ketone level and I was well into ketosis.

I have just started using silver spoon sweeteners and I don't seem to have lost any weight this week. I have also checked my ketone level and it is a couple of shades lighter than it was last week.

Could this be down to the sweetener? Are their any recommended brands to use and brands to keep away from?

Any help appreciated
Jez:)

More than lightly as spoonable sugar, contains sugar in some form or other to make it spoonable.

Well done on your weight loss!

Love Mini xxx

Hello mrB..
I might be wrong but I thought the spoonable sweeteners are a no no.. just the tablet ones are ok...
sorry somthing has knocked you off balance a bit..
regards
Pxxxxx

how thick am I ... sorry....

do they contain sugar ???? i always use candarel and no probs with those xxx

i use splenda and i've never had any probs.

I use whatever's on special - usually tesco own brand and it's fine.

Mr B - week 3 is notorious for slow weight loss, so don't worry. Just keep 100% to the plan and the weight will drop off next week.

Lovely to meet you btw!!!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Here is a link to the tablets I have been using.Low Calorie Tablets - Silver Spoon

0.17 calories per tablet . Seems pretty low[/quote
I think this stuff is Lactulose= an inert isomer of lactose=the sugar found mainly in milk.Also marketed as Splenda.
The tabs also contain malto dextrin which the body can use as a sugar.The clue is in the term 'low calorie'. However if you are still in ketosis the sweeteners aren't the cause of the non-loss of weight.Much more likely to be change in water balance eg TOTM or other reason known only to your body.Remember it is still readjusting to the massive weight that came off in the 1st 2/52.

Also the paler colour of your ketostix is dependant on how much water you are drinking.The more water goes in the more ketones go down the loo in your wee & the stix test will only be pale. On the other hand drink insufficient water & you'll be dry .The stix will be as dark asa plum but a) not terribly god for your body or breath & b) all the ketones you make will be inyour blood for use by your body & less of them will be flushed out in your wee where your body can't get at them to use & consequently has then togo off & break down some more fat & make more ketones.

Back to the sweeteners.Some people can getaway with using lactulose like Curvilicious who I've quoted below.
If in doubt use Aspartame based sweeteners eg Candarel.

It is worth bearing in mind though that aspartame is a diuretic=makes you wee more.Same as the caffeine in tea & coffee & cola.So unless you drink a good amount of non-caffeine, non-aspartame fluid you could run a bit dry.

Has this helped? or merely added to the confusion?

I use whatever's on special - usually tesco own brand and it's fine.

Mr B - week 3 is notorious for slow weight loss, so don't worry. Just keep 100% to the plan and the weight will drop off next week.

Lovely to meet you btw!!!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thankyou. Good to meet you too

jane;166215[COLOR=darkred said:
I think this stuff is Lactulose= an inert isomer of lactose=the sugar found mainly in milk.Also marketed as Splenda.[/color]
The tabs also contain malto dextrin which the body can use as a sugar.The clue is in the term 'low calorie'. However if you are still in ketosis the sweeteners aren't the cause of the non-loss of weight.Much more likely to be change in water balance eg TOTM or other reason known only to your body.Remember it is still readjusting to the massive weight that came off in the 1st 2/52.

Also the paler colour of your ketostix is dependant on how much water you are drinking.The more water goes in the more ketones go down the loo in your wee & the stix test will only be pale. On the other hand drink insufficient water & you'll be dry .The stix will be as dark asa plum but a) not terribly god for your body or breath & b) all the ketones you make will be inyour blood for use by your body & less of them will be flushed out in your wee where your body can't get at them to use & consequently has then togo off & break down some more fat & make more ketones.

Back to the sweeteners.Some people can getaway with using lactulose like Curvilicious who I've quoted below.
If in doubt use Aspartame based sweeteners eg Candarel.

It is worth bearing in mind though that aspartame is a diuretic=makes you wee more.Same as the caffeine in tea & coffee & cola.So unless you drink a good amount of non-caffeine, non-aspartame fluid you could run a bit dry.

Has this helped? or merely added to the confusion?

I appreciate the time and effort you put into helping me, but you have confused me a little. But thanks anyway. I think I'll stick with the sweeteners I am using at the moment and see how I get on.:)

Back