Sweeteners

Maintainer

** Chief WITCH **
Question for you guys - cos I've just been talking somewhere about the differences in subjects discussed on the French forum I use and this one.

We've talked a lot about egg consumption...

How do you guys feel about the amount of sweeteners we could consume on this diet if we put our minds to it...?

When I lost my initial 70K with my own "healthy eating plan" (I'll write a book one day!!), I consumed few sweeteners. I'd never bought sweetener in a tub until I started Dukan dieting.

Are you all ok about them?

And the medically trained among you too?

Im obviosuly on splenda (splenda shaker) and Ive had my tub since Jan and have only used half. I dont use much TBH.
they have terrible reviews about being cancerous etc. Think on Dukan you only allowed so much per day anyway arent you?

Well I've been having sweeteners in my coffee / tea at home for ever (well nearly), all my adult life. So buying a box of Splenda was a done thing. I guess I consume about 3 'pills' and max one ts granulated per day.
Anybody who drinks diet drinks does too, and sometimes sweeteners even in foods where you don't expect them!

There are many types of sweeteners, and carcinogenic studies are extensive, go in both directions, and there is a lot of extreme and emotional stuff published in the web too so it's hard to get a neutral view. I decided that I can live with it. I'm probably more likely to get cancer from exhaust fumes because I cycle in rush hour traffic...

There is one called 'Xylitol' or some such which is 'natural' and apparently ok on Dukan (Jo?) - and of course there is Stevia, but the use of that is controversial too to say the least (sale of Stevia for human consumption is banned in the UK)

Amazing what I have learnt in the last month!!

I'm consuming sweetner in chewing gum, SF jelly and flavoured yogurts. I'll add some to fromage frais or rhubarb if having it as dessert. I've not bought any, just steal sachets from coffee places/hotels....

Sugar is my downfall when not on a diet and I dont want to create a world full of artifically sweetened alternatives to things I used to eat. For now they're helping me get started on Dukan, but I do want to cut back.

I don't have any sweetened drinks since being on dukan.... have sweetened only:

stewed rhubarb
baked egg custard mix
possibly muffins (can't remember)
dukan porridge
quark (when I have it sweet)
sugar free chewing gum
and jelly (though not eaten these yet)

It does worry me slightly as aspartame does carry warnings for asthmatics (i have asthma)...but so far tbh I think I'm using my inhaler LESS than when I was carbing it....:)

Last edited:
I try and avoid it for the kids, but I figure a little (in chewing gum for ex) won't harm. I do buy them sugar coke rather than the sweetner one (when I buy it) and the cordial here is sugar/fruit juice but they don't have either daily.

I don't like the taste much myself but it's better than going sugar-free just now (I need sugary taste for the yogurt). I'll reduce the quantities gradually until I can do without it.

I don't like fizzy drinks and generally drink water/tea/coffee anyway, so no hardship there.

Yes, it's not good for you (apparently!) but so many things aren't and we still consume them. I'm not going to lose sleep over the couple of sweetner pills I have daily.

I try and avoid it for the kids, but I figure a little (in chewing gum for ex) won't harm.

Oh yes I would never give it to the kids (and I do check ingredients lists) ! They need all the carbs they can get! They're so skinny as it is - my 6year old nearly has a 6-pack stomach, I can see the muscles in her tummy....

A also agree with the drinks thing - but I have just bought slimline tonic to lessen the impact of not being allowed the odd G&T in the height of summer ;)

Over here, it was aspartame only... he's since amended it (of course!!)...

Some on facebook are making a lot of desserts and I think that's where the sweetener issue can arise as one ends up eating/drinking quite a few.

I'm not manic about it, and have actually reduced my consumption of Diet Coke (since the office stopped giving us them free!!!)...

The english book said aspartame only too, but yet again the chat on the website(which I hate more and more) mentions others.

Since I started I've had far too much sweetner! I stopped drinking tea in work as there is only semiskimmed milk so instead have chai tea but have to add two sweetners! However I'm getting ketosis taste in my mouth today so reverted back to peppermint tea. Might stick with that for a while.

Oh and my muffin have loads of splenda in. I don't know how much I should be adding to make them sweet. Atm its about 1/2 a tbsp per muffin which I think I need to cut down!

hey girl's i was diagnosed diabetic when i was 29 but was carrying jordan at the same time so i would say it was due to pregnacy has to why i was diagnosed but having add him and thought i was ok ,ive been a diabectic but only by diet,for a lot of years, so sweetners have been a big part of my life for a long time so i really dont have a problem with them at all...

really Jet? what do you have to avoid then? My dad is insulin dependant diabetic.

ive just have to avoid sugary things really but i do indulge now and again ,i wouldnt have a clue wot to do if i was insulin dependant ,so really losing weight for me is to have a healther me because my sugar levels are a lot better at the lower weight !!

and low carb too!

Over here, it was aspartame only... he's since amended it (of course!!)...

Ahh I was clearly not paying attention there. I do *avoid* aspartame (isn't that the one that's not even heat-resistant?). I don't think you can still get saccarine (sp?) as a sweetener, can you? I'm afraid I just assumed sweetener = sweetener which of course is definitely *not* true.
[...]
I have just re-read the passages, and I just attributed the ref to aspartame to a translation/cultural issue, kind of, that aspartame is the main sweetener available in France. At some point he does refer to 'sweeteners', he does not say others are fobidden (sorry Jo!) so I just decided I could carry on using Splenda - which I will. I know this deviates from the "if it's not on the list it's not allowed" mantra, so I got it wrong.

Ahh I was clearly not paying attention there. I do *avoid* aspartame (isn't that the one that's not even heat-resistant?). I don't think you can still get saccarine (sp?) as a sweetener, can you? I'm afraid I just assumed sweetener = sweetener which of course is definitely *not* true.
[...]
I have just re-read the passages, and I just attributed the ref to aspartame to a translation/cultural issue, kind of, that aspartame is the main sweetener available in France. At some point he does refer to 'sweeteners', he does not say others are fobidden (sorry Jo!) so I just decided I could carry on using Splenda - which I will. I know this deviates from the "if it's not on the list it's not allowed" mantra, so I got it wrong.
anju i just need to comment on ur lovley pic its always nice to put a face to a name !!!

Anja - you've lost me...

So are you sticking to Splenda then (sucralose)?

Woo go me no sweetners in my tea today. Had skimmed milk powder so I could go back to drinking english breakfast!

Anja - you've lost me...

So are you sticking to Splenda then (sucralose)?

Sorry for the confusion Jo,

yes sticking with sucralose and accepting that there will be aspartame in some prepared yoghurts / drinks....

Has anyone tried Xylitol? I see you can get it in health food shops, and it's on 'the list' - at least the Dukanaute one (sorry again Jo ;))

Back