Swimming!

Fab: Swimmers!
I really really love the water. I feel positively svelte in the pool...
My first aim was 750m (30 lengths) in 30 mins as thats the distance the local triathalon covers..talk about aiming high! Thought I'd never do it bt am now at over 50 lengths. Had very bad backache the first few weeks, mostly due to my crappy technique. Had two private lessons which involved 'dry' swimming on land and they were brilliant - really helped me improve.
Love to see water babies on Minimins!! Xx

I know what you mean about feeling svelte. I'm in a new cozzie as my old one is too big (yay!). It's quite low cut, and with the reduced effect of gravity in the water, the girls looked perkier than they have in years!

:banana dancer:

boggins said:
I know what you mean about feeling svelte. I'm in a new cozzie as my old one is too big (yay!). It's quite low cut, and with the reduced effect of gravity in the water, the girls looked perkier than they have in years!

:banana dancer:

Oh this made me laugh!
Managed 50 x 25 in 30 mins today. Feeling great! Xx

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Popping by to say HI! I love swimming. Sad thing is, I swam competitively for many, many years and then gave it up and got a bit fat. I feel (for want of a less sappy phrase) at home in the water. I am very competitive and need to learn that its ok for other swimmers to be faster than me nowadays. It's such brilliant exercise, though.

I swim once a week or so as running lets me have the ipod on. I break it down to avoid boredom.

100m easy crawl warm up
4 x 400m (100m f/c, 100m br/s with the last length a sprint) About a minute break in between
100m easy swim down (50m sculling, 50m easy crawl)

Oh and to add...for those worried about technique, there are more than likely non-patronising adult swim lessons in your area. My Dad taught them around our way for a good few years. You may not feel totally at ease lying on a chair on your tummy learning how to do breastroke legs but it is very helpful as you will swim so much more effectively when your stroke is tecnically correct.

SerenRock said:
Oh and to add...for those worried about technique, there are more than likely non-patronising adult swim lessons in your area. My Dad taught them around our way for a good few years. You may not feel totally at ease lying on a chair on your tummy learning how to do breastroke legs but it is very helpful as you will swim so much more effectively when your stroke is tecnically correct.

Made me giggle...thats exactly what my lessons consisted of! Would so recommend these kind of lessons. Really improved my technique and time.
Love to all the water babies. Xx

How are all my waterbabies doing? Xx

I think I need to be brave enough to have adult swimming lessons - but currently am not :-(

Have got spondloyothesis (or something like that) which means got to keep spine straight.

As don't like getting face wet (or water up nose - in ears) - I only do backstroke ... But still find my back/hip aches from the action of wiggling my legs...

Did get up to 20 lengths in under 25mins - but now only manage 12 in 15mins - and I give up and sit in the jacuzzi ;-)

Am bit hopeless...

You're not hopeless: we all start somewhere! You should see me trying to run...
Bad luck about your back...was laid up myself for a wk or two with a mere hack strain so I cant imagine how much pain you have. Have you tried a water belt: you could just walk up and down in the pool? Always loads in my pool doing it! :)
Xx

How are all my water babies?

Back in the swim now the snow has gone :D
30 minutes continuous swims, at least 3 times per week, often 4.

I now have an Aquabeat which is great as the scenery can get a bit boring lol!

Dx

Went for a swim last night after my winter hiatus. I ache sooooo much this morning! Forgot how well it works your muscles.

Went for a swim last night after my winter hiatus. I ache sooooo much this morning! Forgot how well it works your muscles.

Hearing you! It is a fantastic workout:D
I find if I don't have my swim on the days between my runs I find running takes more out of me - swimming is great for maintaining your stamina

Dx

I love swimming. I used to swim 50 lengths a time, 3 times a week and was really starting to see the difference, but I haven't been for a while. I think once the Easter holidays are over and the kids are back at school I will get back into it! I love the water and find it so therapeutic.

Love swimming but now on my 4th week if aqua running! It's a really good workout and includes toning,doing it twice a week and noticing the difference already ;-)

I have issues with my feet so I can walk but not really run. I have been swimming and its great. I go about 5 times a week and swim for between 45 mins to a 1 hour with no breaks. I started at just 30 mins but now I can do it for longer. I am definatly feeling the benefits not just in with the weigh ins but in general. I read earlier in the thread about hair stuff. My hair is too long to fit in a cap. I used to use Paul Mitchell Shampoo 3 to remove the chloreine but I actually find using that actually makes my hair feel icky. Oddly enough Boots swim n gym which is much cheaper is much better. And for conditioner I use Tresumme saloon silk or herbal essences.

Back