Fresh mint (about 10 leaves)
Fresh coriander (about 3/4 of a bunch)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon chicken stock powder
1 heaped teaspoon dried hot red chilli
4 cloves of garlic
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon baking powder

1. Put the chickpeas in a large bowl and add enough cold water to cover them by at least 2 inches. Let soak overnight, then drain.
2. Place the drained, uncooked chickpeas and the onions in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade. Add the mint, coriander, salt, stock powder, hot pepper, garlic, and cumin. Process until blended but not pureed.
3. Sprinkle in the baking powder and pulse. Turn into a bowl and refrigerate, covered, for several hours.
Form the chickpea mixture into 12 balls
Bake at 180C for 30 minutes and serve with a pitta bread and salad! You can also serve with garnishes like chopped tomatoes, onion, green pepper, and pickled turnips.

Drizzle with yogurt mint dressing (plain low fat yogurt mixed with 1t mint sauce, fresh mint and salt)

Last edited:
mmmmm, thanks so much honey!! :) A stupid question no doubt but what's cilantro?

thank you kim :)

Yep, coriander! I should edit that lol!

mmmm they look delicious! Thanks for sharing, my other half loves falafel, I'll have to make him some

Could you use tinned chickpeas?

Thanks Britmum, they tasted even better!

Shrimpy yes you can use tinned chickpeas, use 2 cans for the recipe.

Thanks Honey, I shall be doing those NEXT week!!! :) Went food shopping yesterday, so not enough chickpeas, but after next weeks shop... :)

They sound like heaven - might have to nip to the shop on the way home from work and pick up some chickpeas!

I have just made my mixture and it's sitting in the fridge ready for tonights tea, it smells delicous!!

elleandca : I just crumbled a stock cube and used the same measurement. Will let you know if it worked :)

Oooh let us know how it turns out NumNum!

Elleandca, you can use half a stock cube :)

eeek i forgot to put baking powder in ... will it matter or do I have to smoosh together my balls (ooer missus) and add it?

Ooh I dunno lol. Shouldn't make much difference I don't think. Just cook them as they are and remember the baking powder next time!

i don't think the baking powder is crucial. I should have, however, realised that seeing as it's made with a tonne of coriander then it would be heavily flavoured with coriander ... one of the only herbs that I don't really like :cry: Why I didn't think of this is beyond me, clearly I am a fool!! They smelled amazing and would have tasted amazing had it not been for my dislike of coriander.

NumNumPigsBum said:
i don't think the baking powder is crucial. I should have, however, realised that seeing as it's made with a tonne of coriander then it would be heavily flavoured with coriander ... one of the only herbs that I don't really like :cry: Why I didn't think of this is beyond me, clearly I am a fool!! They smelled amazing and would have tasted amazing had it not been for my dislike of coriander.

Awwwwww NumNum! Lol! Maybe try parsley? The original recipe called for parsley but I don't really like it so I subbed with coriander.

Back