Syn Free Lemon Cous Cous Cake

DellyLouLou

Syn-Free Lemon Cous Cous Cake

I tried this at a taster evening in group and got the recipe from the lovely lady who made it.

You may wish to use my recipe for syn free lemon curd (should take you all of 5 mins to make up). Otherwise, you could use shop bought lemon curd but obv. you would have to syn this.

The cake has an unusual texture but definately hits the spot when nothing but cake will do! =)

syn free on an Extra Easy day (not sure on others).

Ingredients:
170g (6 oz) Cous Cous
Juice and grated rind of 1 lemon
2 x tblsp of syn-free lemon curd (see my other recipe for this if unsure)
3 x tblsp sweetner (or more to taste)
3 eggs

Method:

1. Preheat the oven to 180c

2. Mix dry cous cous, lemon curd and lemon juice in a bowl.

3. Cover cous cous with boiling water and allow to soak for a few minutes.

4. Separate eggs and stir the yolks into the cous cous mixture.

5. Whisk the egg whites until forming soft peaks and fold into the cous cous mixture.

6. Pour mixture into a cake or loaf tin

7. Place in the centre of the pre-heated oven and bake for aproximately 30 minutes until spongy and bouncy (if that makes sense) to the touch.

Optional:
Once cooled, spread the top of the cake with syn-free lemon curd, really finishes the cake off in my opinion

Let me know what you think of this recipe, and how you get on

:D

wow thanks for this recipe i will definatly be trying it! xxx

wow thanks for this recipe i will definatly be trying it! xxx

You are very welcome hunni, my own spin on a popular SW recipe. Let me know what you think of it​

:)

This isn't actually syn free. Cous cous when used as a replacement for flour is 5 syns for every 1oz of dried cous cous used.

below is as copied from the syns list

Couscous,
used as flour, 28g 5.0 5.0 5.0

so it is actually 30 syns for the cake.

This isn't actually syn free. Cous cous when used as a replacement for flour is 4.5 syns for every 1oz of dried cous cous used.

It isn't actually ground and used as flour, it is made up as you would make up normal cous cous - hence it being syn free (I did check this so I hope it's right)

It isn't actually ground and used as flour, it is made up as you would make up normal cous cous - hence it being syn free (I did check this so I hope it's right)

It doesn't have to be ground, when using it as a substitute for flour it becomes syns, the same applies to chick peas etc.

You are using the couscous as a substitute for flour in a cake recipe.

couscous is synned whenever it is ground OR used as a substitute for flour.

this has been confirmed by SW head office many a time.

oh bugger, if that's right may as well just use flour sigh. Oh well.

It doesn't have to be ground, when using it as a substitute for flour it becomes syns, the same applies to chick peas etc.

You are using the couscous as a substitute for flour in a cake recipe.

couscous is synned whenever it is ground OR used as a substitute for flour.

this has been confirmed by SW head office many a time.

God thanks for the heads up! I don't understand that though?? I know they say that it's a more concentrated use so you would be unlikely to eat cous cous in the quantities that you use it to make a cake in every day life BUT i thought the whole point of this diet was to have free food and that you can eat said free food until you're satisfied?? I reckon I could eat quantities like 170g in a day if I was having a one of those dreaded 'munchies' days...I mean how much of the stuff should we be eating before we start synning it? This is very confusing!!​

:mad:

God thanks for the heads up! I don't understand that though?? I know they say that it's a more concentrated use so you would be unlikely to eat cous cous in the quantities that you use it to make a cake in every day life BUT i thought the whole point of this diet was to have free food and that you can eat said free food until you're satisfied?? I reckon I could eat quantities like 170g in a day if I was having a one of those dreaded 'munchies' days...I mean how much of the stuff should we be eating before we start synning it? This is very confusing!!​

:mad:

You can eat free food unlimited as long as you are eating because you are hungry and not because it is free.

However cakes are something you eat as a snack, it is never going to be part of a meal. Hence why Slimming World made the rule that when using grains in this way as a substitute for flour it becomes syns, otherwise some might easily make a cake and eat the whole thing in one sitting. There has to be some kind of control on those kind of things, as although the free foods are there to be used unlimited, there still does have to be some portion control, as at the end of the day if you eat over what your body physically needs then you won't lose weight.

It is the same reason the 1/3 superfree rule was applied to extra easy, to help control portions of the higher caloried free foods without the need for weighing or counting calories.

and a similiar reasoning behind fruit being synned unless eaten in it's raw form.

As long as you are not using couscous in a recipe as a substitute for flour or grounding it down, then it is free.

aw this is poopy :( still gona make it, i will just eat one slice at a time ;) xxx

Oooooh right - I get it. Thanks Britmum :) Would still be nice to have as a snack with a cuppa x

I made this mistake and so did my sister, thinking it was free and both put on only to find out we had munched our way through 30 syns each in a week that we hadnt accounted for, as far as i can tell this is a long standing debate!

aw no! poor u :( bet u lost it quick enuf tho :) xx

thankfully it came off the next week, but i was gutted cause thought i had found something i could snack on without stressing, i now eat SW quiche and just pick at it all day xx

lol i know im gutted its not a free cake too :( but sw quiche sounds yummy, everybody keeps talking about it but ive not tried making it yet, im too scared! xxx

dont be scared lol, its my saviour

I have just made one with syn free sausages , mushrooms and onion, i could bearly wait to get it out of the oven and ate a great big bit for dinner and burnt my tongue lol, try it its delicious xx

ooh wow u little chef! but ive heard the base is all gooey? i like hard crusts :( any chance u cud put a pic up? id love to see this sw quiche :) xxx

the base isnt gooey, but my friend actually flips hers over half way through so its hard all the way round if you get me!, i personally dont think you need to do that. I will try to post pic, im not very technical so may have to wait til hubby comes home lol x

haha very much like myself ;) xxx

Back