SYN FREE LEMON MERINGUE PIE

Donnie46

Slow but sure....
SYN FREE Lemon Meringue Pie

300 gms quark
1 lemon, grated rind and juice
3 medium eggs, separated
4 tbspns granulated sweetener

Preheat oven to 180°C / 350°F / Gas Mark 4.

Beat the Quark in a bowl to make it smooth and creamy.

Add lemon rind and juice, egg yolks and 2 tbsp of the sweetener.

Share between 4 small heatproof dishes or ramekins.

Stand them on a baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, whip egg whites in a grease-free bowl until they hold their shape.

Whisk in remaining sweetener.

Remove desserts from oven and pile meringue on top.

Return to oven to bake for 5 more minutes, until golden brown.

Serve chilled.

sounds scrummy, will have a go at this mmmm :p

I am just wondering if it would be possible to freeze these in the ramekins then how fab to be able to just whip one out the freezer and bake off like you do normal frozen lemon meringues.

Great way to curb the sweet tooth if this is the case and you can manage to keep the rest of the family's fingers off them

I am going to make these tonight. Lemon meringue and X factor... What more could a girl want?!

However... I dont own an electric whisk. Will I be able to make meringue with a hand whisk or shall I just buy merigues?

Hand whisked meringue's will take time, but it could be good exercise, LOL....or you could use shop bought meringues - but, make sure you syn them first just in case they contain lots of sugar!!!

I might get rid of one of my bingo wings!!

I asked my mum to borrow hers and then when I said what I was going to do and the recipe she said I couldnt borrow the whisk as she is going to give the recipe a go herself...typical!!

I have some already made ones in the cupboard as a standby but I am going to try and make them by hand.

Thanks Donnie

I made it this morning and it is really very good. Thanks so much Donnie!

I don't have small ramekins (I MUST get some) so I did it in a pie dish and it worked really well! The meringue came out perfect.
It's the first time I have made meringue so am delighted.
I am fortunate that my OH doesn't like lemon meringue so all the more for me and it's free!! I have already eaten half.

Gemmy, I personally wouldn't want to hand whisk as it took quite long with the electric beater but it would be good exercise indeed!

Oh Sonia, if only I had read your piece of advice prior to starting my meringues and not now!!

After whisking for 40 minutes I gave up and used the bought ones!!

I actually thought my arm was going to fall off!

Nevertheless, the pudding was delicious and I will defo be using the recipe again. Thanks Donnie.

Im off to make yoghurt scones now...

If you're looking for an electric whisk I got mine from the Morrisons basics range for £3.97 and I think they're a similar price in all the big supermarkets.

I have just made a HUGE lemon meringue!
I mentioned it at work and the girls want to try so I tripled the recipe and made it in my lasagne dish! It looks really yummy and HUGE! Waiting for it to cool.

Just a question Donnie. This is the second time I've made it and it is not sold but softish, like a pudding. It doesn't matter as its yum but is that right?
Also a thought.... could one make free the pastry using the instant mash that was mentioned here somewhere and use that as a base? I wanted to try but not on the large one as it would be a waste if it was awful. Just a thought. Can you tell I am obsessed by the lemon meringue pie?
I am so grateful to Donnie for the recipe. Thanks again!

Sonia,

I think it will depend on the consistancy of your mixture before you bake in the oven, if the mixture is a bit 'loose' just mix a little cornflour and water together and stir that in and it should thicken your mixture without spoiling the taste - and I don't see why the potato pastry would'nt work, I've never tried it, but everyone says what a good substitute it is.

I had thought of putting a ½ fat digestive biscuit layer on the bottom of the dish (as you would with a cheesecake) I'm sure that would harden up nicely during the baking - it's just a bit of patience and a bit of experimenting I suppose.

Glad you like the menu though. X

Back