Syn free muffins

I would say that it's not being used as a flour, I have been thinking about this recipe and if you think about it logically, what the muffins are actually made from is flavoured polenta and the eggs are basically just a setting agent.Because in most cakes, you use self raising flour to aid the rising process but in the recipe you use bicarbonate of soda, which produces bubbles through a chemical process.

Could be completely and utterly wrong but it seems quite feasible

I think some common sense is what is needed with regards to these types of queries. We have had the same with syn free crisps too.

Everything in moderation is the key. Make a batch, count them as free, but only have 1 or 2 a day, and I'm pretty confident that this wouldn't harm your losses.

The same applies with any of the free foods. You wouldn't expect to eat 10 mullerlights a day and still loose weight, so if your sensible, then all should be fine.

I am going to have a go at making these today!

Hi, is this only free on the green and E/E, they sound fab, but i tend to stick to red every day, as i dont lose as well on the others

Yes only green and EE as polenta is not free on red days. You would need to work out the syn value for a red day but off the top of my head I think they work out to about 3 syns but don't quote me on that

Made these today, they're not half bad! Think I need to add a bit more sweetner next time tho. And as for the people who are worried about the 'syn free' ness of them - don't! You can't eat more than one or two at a time, they are so very filling! :D

Hi ladies, just to let you know I've had a reply from enco, they have the Dunn's River Cornmeal Coarse Poletna packed for them. This is the email I received:-

Dear Karen ,

Sorry for keep you waiting for so long, but I had to request this info from the factory.
The reply I received regarding Coarse Gritsis:
‘The germ and bran are removed from the whole maize and the remaining endosperm is processed to separate the flour and grits. The grits are not wholemeal or whole grain.’

I hope this answers your question, if not please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind regards,
Askenco

So it appears that the coarse polenta in the UK is not wholegrain. But they are still lovely cakes / muffins and I will continue to make them but ensure that I count them as syns. Hope this helps.

Hi Karen, have only just seen your post - thanks for finding this out! Like you, and most of the rest of us I suspect, we will certainly continue to make these, as well as Scan Bran cakes of course!!!

I tried them today and they were very lovely.. I will be have a go with different flavours of yogurts I thought the bluberry one might be quite nice!

I asked my consultant today about these polenta muffins, she said it is correct to syn them, as the recipe will have come from an old SW book from when Polenta was free in all forms; now the polenta is synned when used as part of a baking tool.

Vixxster my consultant said the same thing, I used to do these Muffins when I did SW before and used to be syn free and now she says I have to syn them. She told me we have to syn cous cous as well, whether or not its made in the normal way or not, she sent me a text this week about it.

I do find it all a bit confusing tbh, cos you can puree chickpeas to make things that are still concidered sin free, like hummus for eg.. but you cant use something else normally considered syn free, into something else like a cake.

Yet you can use scan brans (if used as a HeB). No wonder it gets confusing for people.

Had a taste of the cherry and almond version of these muffins in group today, they were absolutely delicious, I can't believe something so good can be syn free on both green and extra easy days!!

Recipe makes 12

225g fine ground polenta (its not free its 5.5 syns per 28g)
1 large beaten egg
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
3 pots of vanilla mullerlight low fat yoghurt
7 - 10 tbsps Splenda
1 - 2 tsps vanilla extract

1. Put all ingredients in a bowl and mix for at least 3 minutes. Leave to stand for at least 20 minutes.
2. Spoon into muffin tins that have been sprayed with frylight.
3. Cook for about 20 minutes at 200C / Gas mark 6

Variations -
cherry yoghurt and replace vanilla extract with almond.
vanilla & chocolate yoghurt with rind and juice of 1 orange with 1 tsp vanilla.

Enjoy! :)

There not free

hi hippy bear i was going to try making your muffins. i was at morrisons and bought a bag of polenta but i cant see anywere on the bag if it is whole grain would you be able to help me on this

Thanks isabell

hi isabell i have had the same problem. been everywere for whole grain polenta couldnt find it, and when i googled it it just said polenta! and to add to it all i'm more confused than ever about the syn value, was living in hope they were free cos i'm a cake addict!

It is just polenta and won't say wholegrain on the bag. And it is not syn free so you might as well use flour in the recipe anyway and make proper muffins!

I don't know if things have changed syn-wise in the past couple of years with cornmeal classification but I asked my consultant about the cornmeal. She asked head office and head office apparently said it is syn-free. They taste too good for this to be true, so I was very excited making them. Thought I'd have a sneak peek on here and am now thoroughly confused!

Back