Syn free muffins

Mint Choc Syn Free Muffins

Hi all, After what I felt was a success with the lemon and lime muffins, I have been inspired to try making some other flavours. I have spoken to my SW consultant about this and she reckons that they would still be syn free, i am going to try combining some peppermint essence and 1 or 2 mint chocolate options to the basic mixture.

When I made the lemon and lime muffins, I did double the quantity and managed to make 36 fairy cake size muffins out of the mixture. So working on that principle if I used 2 options sachets that would only be 8 syns which divided by 36 is miniscule.

What does everyone think? :cool:

It is the coarse grain polenta that is used in the recipe for the syn free muffins as has several people have said in posts on the subject, coarse grain polenta is free. There for the muffins are free, if the thread is read from the beginning it would have been noted that this question has been raised and answered several times throughout the thread.
Sorry if this reply seems abit harsh but what is the point of people keep answering the same query

No need for that reply whatsoever. I read the whole thread and what everyone had said from the beginning and it did not mention about healthy extras. all it kept saying was "syn free" and I got confused. I am on my first couple of days of this diet and as I am sure everyone who has done it will agree it can be very difficult to understand and this is why I was clarifying.

That was my first ever post and it got a rude remark... no need like I say at the beginning. I thought a weight loss support site was meant to be "supportive". If you didn't like my harmless question then there was no need to answer it.

I wasn't being rude I was only stating what other people had stated in previous posts and I am sorry if to you it seemed that it was rude. If healthy extras are involved in any recipes on this website then it is normally stated as such.
Polenta is free and I have copied the description from the SW website onto here as reference for anyone that doen't know what it is.

Polenta
You can thank the Italians for polenta, which is a cornmeal or maize-meal based dish that can be made up to the consistency of porridge or much firmer so that it can be sliced into slabs and eaten or re-cooked. The vibrant yellow dish is often enhanced with the addition of strongly flavoured cheese and can be enjoyed as a side dish, replacing rice, pasta or potatoes, a first course or as a breakfast.
http://www.minimins.com/lifeline_food_p5.asp

It also has 'H' and Free next to it the 'H' meaning for Health.

just had these, they were delicious :D all my aunties have taken one also :D

Hi, I have looked on the SW website and semolins is not free. It is 5 syns per 28g on red and green. I am not sure the muffins would work with semolina but if they do you would have to work out the syn value.

Let us know how you get on

Hi Shawanna & Cara08, You wouldn't be able to use ready made polenta as it is a block that you slice up and for this recipe you need to mix the polenta with the other ingredients.

You can get the right polenta in Morrisons in the ASian section. It is the East End brand and is 36p a bag.

Hope you like the muffins when you do get to make them

these are worth a go 1 syn free wow !!! we just bin discussing at our class things to make and take in. dont think anyone knows about them !! well dun and thankyou, going to try them tomoro !!

I made these with banana muller today and thought they were nice, not going to syn them, could only eat one anyway as they are filling! going to try one on friday with some low fat custard! yum!

I made these using the course whole grain polenta and they were disgusting, really bitty. It looks like some of you have used the fine ground polenta which is not syn free?

I made these on monday and whilst they smelled delicious, I couldn't abide them and they were quickly binned. The texture was dense and course, but food is purely subjective and whilst I didn't like them I'm sure some people would. As my O/H put it, if you don't try you'll never know if you like them or not.

hi there, a bit like everyone else i got confused over he polenta,sainsburys had a bag but didnt get it as i thought it was wrong one,got a bag from morrisons then got two from the health shop,i ate three last nite then darent eat anymore,my class leader sed they would hav syns as they a substitute ingredient and had to work it out as red day and that confused me even more, they so yummy and lvli with low fat custard or mullerlite, thankyou xxx

Found where to buy polenta!!

ok, this is my first post so hope i'm doing it right!
I went out yesterday and bought everything I needed to make these muffins and then couldn't find the correct polenta grrr. Google to the rescue I found an online store.
They stock the correct polenta to make the muffins syn free on green and extra easy and the delivery charge is less than I would spend on bus fares to get into town!!
Really looking forward to making them when it arrives:)

Last edited by a moderator:
just wanted to say i made these yesterday as i had some mullers to use up, i used 2 eggs it gave them a much lighter texture. first time i made them even though my kids liked them they were very heavy. so im going to be using 2 eggs in future because the were really nice.

just wanted to say i made these yesterday as i had some mullers to use up, i used 2 eggs it gave them a much lighter texture. first time i made them even though my kids liked them they were very heavy. so im going to be using 2 eggs in future because the were really nice.
will try that next time as mine were very heavy too

Hi all, I have made some muffins today using 2 mint chocolate options (4 syns), a 500ml tub of natural yougurt and 2 eggs instead of 1 (like chellxx said) and no vanilla. The muffins came out lighter than with 1 egg and really minty. Using fairy cake cases I easily made 18 cakes out of a single quantity of the mixture. I worked the syn value of each muffin to be 0.2222 syns so it is up to people if they wish to take it as still syn free or as 1/2 a syn. Me personally I would say 2 muffins for 1/2 a syn.

Hope someone else tries them and lets everyone else know what you think.

Hi folks

We're (my OH is joining in on this one), really worried that we're all misleading each other with this recipe, calling it “Syn Free”.

We eventually got a packet of Dunn's River Cornmeal coarse Polenta at Morrisons and made our first batch. It was very heavy and stodgy. It reminded us both of school “puddings” (you know, rather tasteless served with lumpy custard). It didn't seem it could be free, so we did some research. The SW index says that normal polenta is 5 syns per 28gs, only “whole grain” polenta is free on green or EE. Googled “whole grain polenta” but no such animal found!

Polenta is cooked cornmeal, so searched for whole grain cornmeal – this is used a good deal in the US, but has to be stone ground, to keep the germ and husk and seems to be very hard to obtain in the UK. However, if the germ is left in, the product has a reduced shelf life and must be kept in a fridge or freezer. Our polenta has no such warning on the packet, so it looks as if it is normal polenta, but coarse ground.

Sorry folks – but this would mean our muffin batch contained 40 syns, just over 3 syns per muffin – not bad, but certainly not free.

Has anyone found real “whole grain” polenta – with the storage warning? If not we may all be piling on the syns without realising.

We will try our next muffin batch with more eggs and a lot more sweetener, but we will only have one a day each.

Finally, thanks to Pippy Bear for the original recipe, if we can get the right polenta, then all will be well.

Back